Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Do You Book Intra-Alaska "Milk Run" Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Do You Book Intra-Alaska "Milk Run" Flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Agreed. Now that I'm part of the "Cranky Flyer" group there is nothing that will get me on a milk run OR on a combi ...
I get the milk run... but not the combi. What do you have against the combis? They *might* be my favorite plane of all time, partly because of their uniqueness.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I actually am going to be on a milk run flight for 3 separate segments: 65 SEA-KTN, 67 SIT-JNU, and 66 JNU-SEA.

I wonder if 55 minutes is enough time to connect in JNU...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 6, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BiggAW
I get the milk run... but not the combi. What do you have against the combis? They *might* be my favorite plane of all time, partly because of their uniqueness.
It's probably from having too many combi flights. There are some unpleasant memories of boarding from the tarmac up the back stairs in JNU, KTN, and SIT, usually during bad weather when I lived in Southeast. Is that something you can relate to in BDL & PVD?

I'm of the age now where I want to board from a jetway and be on a plane that has First Class - not cargo! - in the front of the plane.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:43 pm

the milk run is on a particular schedule and doesnt run every day. best bet is to call Gold desk and ask for the milk run schedule

and definitely veryify, more often than not it will not have a first class cabin
Old May 9, 2015, 11:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jojopollo7
the milk run is on a particular schedule and doesnt run every day. best bet is to call Gold desk and ask for the milk run schedule

and definitely veryify, more often than not it will not have a first class cabin
In Southeast the milk run flights are indeed daily, they are not always scheduled as Combi flights daily with maybe the exception of AS61 which is the morning flight SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:31 am

It's probably from having too many combi flights. There are some unpleasant memories of boarding from the tarmac up the back stairs in JNU, KTN, and SIT, usually during bad weather when I lived in Southeast. Is that something you can relate to in BDL & PVD?

I'm of the age now where I want to board from a jetway and be on a plane that has First Class - not cargo! - in the front of the plane.
Ah I see. That makes sense. It was nice having a jetway flying into JNU on a 738 today while it was raining, actually. Going on a combi next week to BRW.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jojopollo7

Not true...the SE AK milk runs are daily. What varies is the equipment used.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BiggAW
Ah I see. That makes sense. It was nice having a jetway flying into JNU on a 738 today while it was raining, actually. Going on a combi next week to BRW.
They sometimes have equipment chanages on the FAI-BRW route, so there isn't a 100% guarantee you'll fly on a combi (cargo jet).

When I flew up there it was scheduled to be jet service FAI-SCC-BRW and a combi on the BRW-FAI return. They swapped out equipment on the return, so we ended up flying back on a regular jet - fine with me, as I was in F.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:45 pm

They sometimes have equipment chanages on the FAI-BRW route, so there isn't a 100% guarantee you'll fly on a combi (cargo jet).

When I flew up there it was scheduled to be jet service FAI-SCC-BRW and a combi on the BRW-FAI return. They swapped out equipment on the return, so we ended up flying back on a regular jet - fine with me, as I was in F.
I hope we get at least one combi. We are going ANC-BRW-FAI, on combis.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Do any of you have experience booking "milk run" flights between ANC and SEA? For example, I wanted to book AS 62 which is a direct flight from ANC-SEA, but it stops in JNU, SIT, and KTN...unfortunately, it doesn't show up online during an ANC-SEA search and trying to use multi-city gives me the usual error message since it's all the same flight number. Is it possible for an agent to book it over the phone? I'm MVPG so not worried about telephone booking fees.

Part of the reason I wanted to book this other than the "fun" aspect was that there is U space on every segment so I thought it would be a good use of a gold upgrade cert
Seems to work via Google flight.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
Seems to work via Google flight.
Yes, but it breaks the fare so Google flight is essentially buying two separate flights ANC-JNU and JNU-SEA unlike ANC-SEA with a connection in JNU.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs up Happy Birthday to Me

I just booked AS64 JNU-SEA via the website (!)
^^

it was about $100 more than the nonstops, but I got the day I wanted next month for considerably less than the fully refundable fare which seems to be more prevalent on that particular trip

this will be a nice way to spend my birthday -- leave 0740 on the Combi, ~6 hrs in Juneau, back home ~2130
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I just booked AS64 JNU-SEA via the website (!)
^^

it was about $100 more than the nonstops, but I got the day I wanted next month for considerably less than the fully refundable fare which seems to be more prevalent on that particular trip

this will be a nice way to spend my birthday -- leave 0740 on the Combi, ~6 hrs in Juneau, back home ~2130
Congrats! (and happy birthday) But...JNU-SEA milk run has always been available to book online...the issue was trying to book the milk run from ANC all the way to SEA...for example....flight 62 goes from FAI-ANC-JNU-SIT-KTN-SEA but this flight is not bookable online if you originate in FAI or ANC (and fly all the way to SEA).
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I knew it was absent with the "connection" in JNU, but I don't recall ever seeing it showing up for the "Inside Passage" segments ... not that I'd ever looked really hard for it while in the DC area for the last 14 years ...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
About to do milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU.

Have seat 8a. Should be a great day!

Full trip:

LAX-SEA on DL.
Overnight

SEA-KNT-WRG-PSG-JNU
connection
JNU-SEA
connection
SEA-LAX

It will be a long day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.