Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 5,000 free miles for Self-Tag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So for these cities, who cares if they're "set up" or not....they're getting prepared for nothing.
Don't have to care if they're set up or not, since they *are* set up.

But to answer more sincerely: Until October, one assumes that the relatively few people who can take advantage of the promotion will care. You can bet that if I end up flying over for the day this spring or summer, for any reason at all, I'll be self-checking my backpack.

Got a flight in August where I have to overnight in Seattle, and must collect my bag - I'll give it a try if the web site allows it.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Well, darn. I have a connection on my next flight so I guess that lets me out, too. And I went and ordered the tags. Rats!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Wow, I'm surprised how many people haven't done this yet! I ordered 8 tags months ago, and use them whenever I can (usually SEA-SoCal). Some notes for you:

- LAX is also "coming soon"

- On the last trip, the print-at-home tags were invalid, so it actually took longer for them to scan, figure that out, cancel out those tags, and print new tags to attach to the bags.

- While AS wanted to create a "drop off" system, TSA didn't like that at all, so they wanted to have at least a human review the bag tag before it got put on the plane
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by missydarlin
How many flights before that happened?
Honestly? It was the very first time I tried it, 2 days before Thanksgiving last year out of SEA.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I know it's popular to pile on AS' IT department, but this promotion was credited before my flight posted.

04/20/2015
SPECIAL SERVICES Credited 1,000 0 1,000
SELF TAG ONLINE BONUS
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't understand why it is limited to non-stop flights...can't the tag print with the same information on a connecting flight as what prints at the airport?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't understand why it is limited to non-stop flights...can't the tag print with the same information on a connecting flight as what prints at the airport?
I think they've purposely made it a self-limiting promotion for the time being since....

1) It's a relatively new program (you don't want 100% of AS travelers "testing it out" when there are potential kinks to work out, like the tags falling off as was mentioned previously in this thread).

2) They are giving out up to 5,000 miles per person....if they allowed connecting flights, that would make EVERY passenger who traveled on an AS flight eligible for the miles which may be more than they ever intended to give out for simply self-tagging a bag. It seemed like a lot of miles for something so simple and free (for elites), but when someone read the fine print (I think Eujeanie was the first to mention the non-stop requirement that none of us seemed to notice at first), it all made sense....we all got excited and then AS said, "not so fast folks...."
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I know it's popular to pile on AS' IT department, but this promotion was credited before my flight posted.

04/20/2015
SPECIAL SERVICES Credited 1,000 0 1,000
SELF TAG ONLINE BONUS
That's actually impressive...especially given the fact that it can't print out a baggage tag that includes a connection....I'm sure that's on the "to do" list at some point since connecting flights have really started to become more popular in last 30-40 years
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
To trigger the points, you need to use the online option and print from home, and then actually check the bag.
Dammit. You guys anticipated me already?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:15 am

It seems you need to have your MP number on your reservation. Does anyone know how to put MP number on BA award ticket on AS metal? I currently have my BA FF number on the AS reservation.

Last edited by michael_v; Apr 24, 2015 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS
Since I've been self-tagging for years when taking cruises, I am glad Alaska is finally catching up with the times. I checked the chart and it appears that I will be earning 2000 miles quite soon.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just got my useless sleeves in the mail today - boy do they STINK (really strong chemical smell). Can't use them unless I decide to fly to SEA or PDX someday.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got my useless sleeves in the mail today - boy do they STINK (really strong chemical smell). Can't use them unless I decide to fly to SEA or PDX someday.
Just got mine too. I don't mind the smell but boy are they gigantic.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Just got mine too. I don't mind the smell but boy are they gigantic.
They are rather large...

Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I'd love the bonus miles, but after reading the stories of these things falling off... I just don't trust it. They look pretty flimsy... maybe if there was a sturdier fastener I'd do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.