Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Wine flies free: is this in addition to other baggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine flies free: is this in addition to other baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
According to the poster above, she could have bought *one* cheap bottle of wine at the grocery store in AZ and checked it for free (and saved at least $15.
Actually, I believe it is wine FROM a wine country area, not the other way around, so wine does not usually fly free from Arizona.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Sep 12, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Actually, I believe it is wine FROM a wine country area, not the other way around, so wine does not usually fly free from Arizona.
Hmm, there *is* a wine industry in Arizona, and some of the best sparkling wine in the country comes from New Mexico. I am huge fan of this program -- if Palm Springs and San Diego can warrant inclusion, it would be great to extend it to other wine growing regions.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Hmm, there *is* a wine industry in Arizona, and some of the best sparkling wine in the country comes from New Mexico. I am huge fan of this program -- if Palm Springs and San Diego can warrant inclusion, it would be great to extend it to other wine growing regions.
I believe almost every state in the union produces wine. However, the states listed on the AS website for their program are wines from OR, WA, ID, CA - might have missed one but AZ and NM are definitely not on the list.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I have had excellent experiences flying with wine, with varied levels of packaging. To be clear: I am hardly an expert, typically buy bottles in the $15 - $30 range, mostly to avoid paying for the tasting.

In an extreme case, I showed up at the SAC ticket counter with a cardboard box, 6 loose bottles. Agents were very friendly and helpful, provided packing material and tape, along with several fragile labels. Rather than being dumped on the baggage carousel in SAN, it was carefully placed in the oversized baggage area. Fragile labeling and oversized area placement has been a consistent experience when bottles are packed more carefully in the hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS
Wondering if Wines Fly Free program is still available ? During lockdown, had wines delivered to house in So.Cal area. Would like to take them home to Seattle next week. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:39 pm

According to the following link one case of wine is still flys free for milage plan members. There is a list of cities in the link but I want to say it applies to most west coast cities
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions
pcoll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.