Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS MVP gold change fee waiver - partner award for others

AS MVP gold change fee waiver - partner award for others

Old Mar 12, 15, 10:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 753
AS MVP gold change fee waiver - partner award for others

I have issued an award on KE for my gf, if I want to change the ticket later, will I get the fee waived?
zig2 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 10:12 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by zig2 View Post
I have issued an award on KE for my gf, if I want to change the ticket later, will I get the fee waived?
I also noticed that there is a 15$ ticketing charge on the receipt, so the fee is only waived if I am redeeming the award for myself?
zig2 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 10:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,509
I believe KE can be booked on the website. That would avoid the fee.

But even a 75K has to pay a ticketing fee when he calls in.
Orwaid is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 10:27 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 753
Well, after another call it seems to be their mistake. I've got the fee refunded and the agent says I shouldn't get any fee charged except the partner ticketing fee.
zig2 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 11:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
I believe KE can be booked on the website. That would avoid the fee.

But even a 75K has to pay a ticketing fee when he calls in.

Incorrect. Call center fee is waived for MVPG and 75K.
flytoeat is offline  
Old Mar 19, 15, 5:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 3,102
Originally Posted by zig2 View Post
I have issued an award on KE for my gf, if I want to change the ticket later, will I get the fee waived?
The change fee applies to the named party on the ticket. If your gf doesn't have status of Gold or higher, there's a change fee if it's a revenue (money) ticket.

However, if it's an award (miles) ticket, and they're your miles, the miles can be re-deposited in your account and the ticket can be re-issued with your miles to your gf for no change fee.

At least, that's how I understand it works (and if I'm wrong, I trust someone will correct me; I was on the phone to AS about this recently). Revenue tickets are handled differently than award tickets.

Ages ago, there was a different policy in which the Gold benefits on changes carried over to anyone the Gold bought a ticket for and/or was traveling with. (Something about the payment method being "under the control" of the Gold.) But that's so long gone, I can't even recall clearly how it worked. And, regardless, it no longer works that way.
Seattlenerd is offline  
Old Mar 20, 15, 5:22 pm
  #7  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 2,732
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
The change fee applies to the named party on the ticket. If your gf doesn't have status of Gold or higher, there's a change fee if it's a revenue (money) ticket.

However, if it's an award (miles) ticket, and they're your miles, the miles can be re-deposited in your account and the ticket can be re-issued with your miles to your gf for no change fee.

At least, that's how I understand it works (and if I'm wrong, I trust someone will correct me; I was on the phone to AS about this recently). Revenue tickets are handled differently than award tickets.

Ages ago, there was a different policy in which the Gold benefits on changes carried over to anyone the Gold bought a ticket for and/or was traveling with. (Something about the payment method being "under the control" of the Gold.) But that's so long gone, I can't even recall clearly how it worked. And, regardless, it no longer works that way.
Awards issued with Gold miles are exempt from the change fee as well. No need to redeposit and reissue.
baliktad is offline  
Old Jul 30, 15, 11:55 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 233
dlted

Last edited by EL3V3N; Jul 31, 15 at 2:03 am
EL3V3N is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 6:38 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti
Posts: 887
Ok, so Gold member books award for someone else -> Change fee waived.

If, subsequently, the Gold member loses status, but award was originally issued with Gold miles, is the fee waived?

Or if a Regular member books an award for a Gold member -> Fee waived?
eethan is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 6:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,671
Not so sure if the fee is waived if the Gold member loses status. However, the fee is waived if a regular member books an award for a Gold member.
Jimgotkp is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA Plat, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Posts: 1,287
I'm curious if this still holds true. I'm likely to book a ticket that has a risk of change... for me (75k) and wife and baby... likely iceland air. If we change/cancel, will I be hit with change fee on their seats? (and yes if canceled the partner fee does not get refunded for anyone)
brarrr is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 5:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,130
Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
I'm curious if this still holds true. I'm likely to book a ticket that has a risk of change... for me (75k) and wife and baby... likely iceland air. If we change/cancel, will I be hit with change fee on their seats? (and yes if canceled the partner fee does not get refunded for anyone)
Yes, it is still true. If it's booked with your (as a 75K) miles, change or cancellation fee for their award tickets is waived, except that the partner booking fee is indeed non refundable (which would only matter if cancelled entirely).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status
rustykettel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: