FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS MVP gold change fee waiver - partner award for others (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1662801-mvp-gold-change-fee-waiver-partner-award-others.html)

zig2 Mar 12, 2015 10:01 pm

AS MVP gold change fee waiver - partner award for others

I have issued an award on KE for my gf, if I want to change the ticket later, will I get the fee waived?

zig2 Mar 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by zig2 (Post 24499335)
I have issued an award on KE for my gf, if I want to change the ticket later, will I get the fee waived?

I also noticed that there is a 15$ ticketing charge on the receipt, so the fee is only waived if I am redeeming the award for myself? :confused:

Orwaid Mar 12, 2015 10:27 pm

I believe KE can be booked on the website. That would avoid the fee.

But even a 75K has to pay a ticketing fee when he calls in.

zig2 Mar 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Well, after another call it seems to be their mistake. I've got the fee refunded and the agent says I shouldn't get any fee charged except the partner ticketing fee.

flytoeat Mar 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 24499395)
I believe KE can be booked on the website. That would avoid the fee.

But even a 75K has to pay a ticketing fee when he calls in.

Incorrect. Call center fee is waived for MVPG and 75K.

Seattlenerd Mar 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by zig2 (Post 24499335)

The change fee applies to the named party on the ticket. If your gf doesn't have status of Gold or higher, there's a change fee if it's a revenue (money) ticket.

However, if it's an award (miles) ticket, and they're your miles, the miles can be re-deposited in your account and the ticket can be re-issued with your miles to your gf for no change fee.

At least, that's how I understand it works (and if I'm wrong, I trust someone will correct me; I was on the phone to AS about this recently). Revenue tickets are handled differently than award tickets.

Ages ago, there was a different policy in which the Gold benefits on changes carried over to anyone the Gold bought a ticket for and/or was traveling with. (Something about the payment method being "under the control" of the Gold.) But that's so long gone, I can't even recall clearly how it worked. And, regardless, it no longer works that way.

baliktad Mar 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 24534871)
The change fee applies to the named party on the ticket. If your gf doesn't have status of Gold or higher, there's a change fee if it's a revenue (money) ticket.

However, if it's an award (miles) ticket, and they're your miles, the miles can be re-deposited in your account and the ticket can be re-issued with your miles to your gf for no change fee.

At least, that's how I understand it works (and if I'm wrong, I trust someone will correct me; I was on the phone to AS about this recently). Revenue tickets are handled differently than award tickets.

Ages ago, there was a different policy in which the Gold benefits on changes carried over to anyone the Gold bought a ticket for and/or was traveling with. (Something about the payment method being "under the control" of the Gold.) But that's so long gone, I can't even recall clearly how it worked. And, regardless, it no longer works that way.

Awards issued with Gold miles are exempt from the change fee as well. No need to redeposit and reissue.

EL3V3N Jul 30, 2015 11:55 pm

dlted

eethan May 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok, so Gold member books award for someone else -> Change fee waived.

If, subsequently, the Gold member loses status, but award was originally issued with Gold miles, is the fee waived?

Or if a Regular member books an award for a Gold member -> Fee waived?

Jimgotkp May 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Not so sure if the fee is waived if the Gold member loses status. However, the fee is waived if a regular member books an award for a Gold member.

brarrr Sep 1, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm curious if this still holds true. I'm likely to book a ticket that has a risk of change... for me (75k) and wife and baby... likely iceland air. If we change/cancel, will I be hit with change fee on their seats? (and yes if canceled the partner fee does not get refunded for anyone)

rustykettel Sep 1, 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by brarrr (Post 30156694)
I'm curious if this still holds true. I'm likely to book a ticket that has a risk of change... for me (75k) and wife and baby... likely iceland air. If we change/cancel, will I be hit with change fee on their seats? (and yes if canceled the partner fee does not get refunded for anyone)

Yes, it is still true. If it's booked with your (as a 75K) miles, change or cancellation fee for their award tickets is waived, except that the partner booking fee is indeed non refundable (which would only matter if cancelled entirely).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status