Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BOS Operations to Move (Again) to Terminal B Gates 35A-36 (10/16/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Operations to Move (Again) to Terminal B Gates 35A-36 (10/16/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by glitchy
They've managed to cram real preCheck into that security area now. (Or at least had done last night.) Seemed to help things quite a bit, and makes a just-in-time approach to entering the gate area more feasible.
Wow. That's good news. It was still "Expedited" PreCheck-lite last Sunday and the lines (including elite) to the ID checker and then to the x-ray machines were clogged.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:45 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
It was full-on PreCheck this past Friday 330pm.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am supposed to pick up a coworker flying into Logan on United. From what I can tell, that will not be possible as I would have to go thru security again (and will not have a BP to do that) Is that true? and, is there any decent post security place to wait 1-1/2 hrs? My AS flight gets in around 3:30pm, he gets in around 5pm on UA.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
That is correct. AS & UA aren't connected behind security, and you'll need a same day BP leaving BOS to get past security in terminal B. So you'll have to meet your coworker outside security. Unfortunately, the area AS uses at BOS is downright awful and definitely not a place where you'd want to spend 1.5 hours.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Just FYI. They only staff the pre-check area when they have staffing. They have been a couple of times that it is closed so they revert back to the pre-check lite where you still have to take your laptop out.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ctporter
I am supposed to pick up a coworker flying into Logan on United. From what I can tell, that will not be possible as I would have to go thru security again (and will not have a BP to do that) Is that true? and, is there any decent post security place to wait 1-1/2 hrs? My AS flight gets in around 3:30pm, he gets in around 5pm on UA.
Literally ANY place in Logan will be better to spend 1.5 hours than the post security AS terminal C. The post security portion is a ghost town. There is a coffee stand and a newsstand, 3 or 4 gates with typical gate seating, and the smallest bathrooms I've ever seen in my life at any airport. Normally bathrooms aren't a thing for me, but getting off a flight and having to stand in line to use 2 urinals (so uncomfortably close to each other that most guys opted to just utilize one at a time, leaving the other unused) and one stall was quite annoying.

Just outside security, there are 5-6 eating options and tables/chairs, etc, and bathrooms with urinals where you actually may not accidentally touch your neighbor while they're doing their business.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:05 am

Horrid terminal at Logan

What an absolutely horrid terminal at Logan! This is most likely the worst terminal for AS that I have ever flown into and out from. My First impression is the multiple permanent signs stating if you cannot do stairs see a gate agent that are scattered all along the exit way from the plane. The reason? Escalator down to baggage claim is non-functional and based on the signage this is a permanent condition. Second is the massive overcrowding - worse than at any small regional airport, in fact, there are many that are deluxe compared to this one. The entire area is tired, dirty, and incredibly dysfunctional, not to mention the lack of amenities. (small Sam Adams bar with limited seating and a wall-front grab and go for packaged foods and beverages) The security line was all the way back to ticketing and bag drop and moved incredibly slow. No TSA pre despite all three gates having flights depart around the same time (two AS, one VX). According to TSA, right now only at Logan now a new policy has been put in place to have ALL electronics larger than a cell phone out - including iPads, Tablets, Kindles, and GPS - not just laptops. The premium line was open but did not help all that much due to the crowding and lack of space.

Is this location for AS at C 40-42 permanent?

Last edited by ctporter; Apr 22, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
What an absolutely horrid terminal at Logan! This is most likely the worst terminal for AS that I have ever flown into and out from. My First impression is the multiple permanent signs stating if you cannot do stairs see a gate agent that are scattered all along the exit way from the plane. The reason? Escalator down to baggage claim is non-functional and based on the signage this is a permanent condition. Second is the massive overcrowding - worse than at any small regional airport, in fact, there are many that are deluxe compared to this one. The entire area is tired, dirty, and incredibly dysfunctional, not to mention the lack of amenities. (small Sam Adams bar with limited seating and a wall-front grab and go for packaged foods and beverages) The security line was all the way back to ticketing and bag drop and moved incredibly slow. No TSA pre despite all three gates having flights depart around the same time (two AS, one VX). According to TSA, right now only at Logan now a new policy has been put in place to have ALL electronics larger than a cell phone out - including iPads, Tablets, Kindles, and GPS - not just laptops. The premium line was open but did not help all that much due to the crowding and lack of space.

Is this location for AS at C 40-42 permanent?
Took my iPad out but not my wife's kindle. That got my bag pulled and swabbed. Was told by TSA agent that they generally only have the Precheck line satffed during the morning shift. Not sure how reliable of a source the agent was because he admitted that he didn't usually work that checkpoint.

I left the Alaska section and went to the JetBlue C gates. Confused a couple of TSA agents one of whom was very concerned that I didn't have any bags. Explained I had left them with my wife and was in search of better food options. She let me through but not before "inspecting" my wallet as if there was something suspicious about It.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Having done same-day MR turnarounds at BOS... the gate area sucks. It's unfortunate that they put transcon flights in this area rather than RJs serving shorter routes.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Having done same-day MR turnarounds at BOS... the gate area sucks. It's unfortunate that they put transcon flights in this area rather than RJs serving shorter routes.
Good to hear there's been a lot of improvement @ the AS terminal since the switch

Whomever reported three close departures there, what time of day are we talking about?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Good to hear there's been a lot of improvement @ the AS terminal since the switch

Whomever reported three close departures there, what time of day are we talking about?
I got to Logan at 4:35 pm, went to the security line to the C40-42 gates instead of over in the nice side of C to get a Lounge because the line was so long and very slow moving. (no TSA Pre) Got thru security by 5:25 for the alleged 6:15 boarding (flight was delayed from 6:55 to 7:15 after I cleared security) The VX flight was also delayed, but the other AS flight seemed to be ontime, right around the same as the BOS SEA flight (hence the crowding)

BTW, how could there have been improvement??? this is a totally disfunctional terminal for any kind of large passenger jet. NO escalators down to baggage, not enough seating for passengers, dingy creepy terminal, much too small of a security area for regular passengers let alone any premium or PreCheck passengers. (if I have a glass of wine I will tell you how I REALLY feel - LOL)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Anyone remember the old B6 setup at JFK, in the old Sundrome at T6? They had a bunch of auxiliary gates set up in trailers while T5 was under construction. This is the best comparison I can draw to the current situation at Logan for AS. It's terrible.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I got to Logan at 4:35 pm, went to the security line to the C40-42 gates instead of over in the nice side of C to get a Lounge because the line was so long and very slow moving. (no TSA Pre) Got thru security by 5:25 for the alleged 6:15 boarding (flight was delayed from 6:55 to 7:15 after I cleared security) The VX flight was also delayed, but the other AS flight seemed to be ontime, right around the same as the BOS SEA flight (hence the crowding)

BTW, how could there have been improvement??? this is a totally disfunctional terminal for any kind of large passenger jet. NO escalators down to baggage, not enough seating for passengers, dingy creepy terminal, much too small of a security area for regular passengers let alone any premium or PreCheck passengers. (if I have a glass of wine I will tell you how I REALLY feel - LOL)
I was being sarcastic, hence the "oh my" emoticon. If you look back, I started this thread--just over two years ago. Hard to believe it's still like a bad bus station, but you know it always comes down to $$$, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

I'm doing an overnight PDX-BOS turn next weekend. Just trying to assess how tight I can cut it with a 4:40pm departure on the return.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
I was being sarcastic, hence the "oh my" emoticon. If you look back, I started this thread--just over two years ago. Hard to believe it's still like a bad bus station, but you know it always comes down to $$$, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

I'm doing an overnight PDX-BOS turn next weekend. Just trying to assess how tight I can cut it with a 4:40pm departure on the return.
My bad, I did not look back. Well, I would look at something like BOS MAS to see who is scheduled to fly back when you return. It has NOT improved at all sadly, it is frankly, rather embarrassing!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Is the gate here worse than the gates that AS uses at BWI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.