Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus Miles on Y, S, B and M Fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Interesting. I have a stack of the receipts I printed for business travel over the past 3 years (holding them in case of an audit ... ).

Most recently I used it when I traveled in February and had no problems printing the receipt at that time.

It's possible they've changed the system in the past couple of weeks. I won't be able to weigh in on this again until I travel a bit later this month.
Playing with it more shows that I have to select BOTH boarding pass and receipt to get the receipt with boarding pass. Deselect boarding pass will take me to the reservation page.

But that receipt printed out didn't show my original booking class either, or I don't know how to read that...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by fishywang
Playing with it more shows that I have to select BOTH boarding pass and receipt to get the receipt with boarding pass. Deselect boarding pass will take me to the reservation page.

But that receipt printed out didn't show my original booking class either, or I don't know how to read that...
Here's how to read it, fishywang. The bottom left side of the receipt has a line of text like this:
Fare Calculation:

FARE CALC ANC AS PHX197.14K14N4/E50 AS ANC 149.12T14UN5/E50 246.26END
Below I've added clarification to the text.

Now it shows the per-segment ticket price (underlined) and the fare class in which that segment was originally booked (underlined & bolded):
Fare Calculation:

FARE CALC ANC AS PHX197.14K14N4/E50 AS ANC 149.12T14UN5/E50 246.26END
In the above example, ANC-PHX was booked in K class, PHX-ANC was booked in T class - but I actually flew in U class on both segments.

The rest of the numbers code the fare basis and other rules for the specific ticket.

Does that help?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:48 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by KyBrewer
To clarify, it showed as (Y) on Alaska's website after booking and before upgrade, with ultimately no bonus miles posted.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with this?

Not that I don't appreciate the response Kieron, but I was hoping for a definitive answer before I push further

The definitive answer is no, Government and companion fares do not earn the COS Bonus.

The website will be updated shortly to reflect that.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
The definitive answer is no, Government and companion fares do not earn the COS Bonus.

Sorry for the confusion!
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE

Sorry for the confusion!
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was burned by this now & this "policy" is still not on the website nor the code terms & condition pop-up for the discount code.

As it stands CS on the phone says only primary flyer gets the full flex Y fare bonus EQM & companion gets normal EQM. Now my SO is short of gold.

How would i have known this from your terms & materials on your website which still say:

"Does the companion traveler using the discount earn mileage credit?
Both travelers can earn mileage credit for their flights in their own Mileage Plan™ accounts. Please be sure to provide the Mileage Plan™ numbers when booking your reservation, or when you check in for your flight."

Unhappy in Seattle.
DaveH likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was burned by this now & this "policy" is still not on the website nor the code terms & condition pop-up for the discount code.

As it stands CS on the phone says only primary flyer gets the full flex Y fare bonus EQM & companion gets normal EQM. Now my SO is short of gold.

How would i have known this from your terms & materials on your website which still say:

"Does the companion traveler using the discount earn mileage credit?
Both travelers can earn mileage credit for their flights in their own Mileage Plan™ accounts. Please be sure to provide the Mileage Plan™ numbers when booking your reservation, or when you check in for your flight."

Unhappy in Seattle.
Call them, on the elite # (if you're MVP). Be nice and tell them what happened. They bumped my daughter to MVP earlier this year when we flew on a Y fare and a companion cert, and she didn't get the COS bonus which would have gotten her to MVP. I didn't even ask for that, I just called to ask why her bonus hadn't posted, and the rule was explained to me - and then the agent, on his own initiative, put me on hold to ask a supervisor then bumped my daughter's status to where it would have been.

I can't guarantee that will be the outcome, but AS still has humans with some discretion on the other end of the phone line, and tends to treat its customers like people.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Sorry for the confusion!
I am still looking on the website for that information???? Where is it?

And to clarify, when buying a companion fare, the original ticket at full fare does get the Y,B,S,M bonus levels, just the companion does not?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

Sorry for the confusion!
Some 2+ years later, and it appears the website is STILL not updated to reflect that companions do not earn the COS bonus. Almost got burned by this, glad I found this thread.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Some 2+ years later, and it appears the website is STILL not updated to reflect that companions do not earn the COS bonus. Almost got burned by this, glad I found this thread.
If you are using a companion certificate BOTH parties in the reservation will earn the base miles AND the COS bonus + any Elite bonus (50%, 100%, 125% for MVP, MVPG & MVPG75K. I get four companion certificates annually and use them for a combination of mileage runs and mini vacations. If instant upgrades are available I will purchase the M fare and get an immediate upgrade after purchasing the ticket. After the flight BOTH parties will receive the 25% COS bonus. My most recent trip was in May and both parties received the COS. I have itineraries booked for next week and in October as well using companion certificates.

Just think of it this way. You are buying two tickets in a fare class that has a COS bonus. If you apply a companion certificate you purchase your ticket for the published fare + taxes and the certificate allows you to purchase the second passenger ticket for $99 + taxes. The companion certificate reduces the total price you pay but you are still purchasing two tickets each eligible for the COS.

Hope this helps.

James
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you are using a companion certificate BOTH parties in the reservation will earn the base miles AND the COS bonus + any Elite bonus (50%, 100%, 125% for MVP, MVPG & MVPG75K. I get four companion certificates annually and use them for a combination of mileage runs and mini vacations. If instant upgrades are available I will purchase the M fare and get an immediate upgrade after purchasing the ticket. After the flight BOTH parties will receive the 25% COS bonus. My most recent trip was in May and both parties received the COS. I have itineraries booked for next week and in October as well using companion certificates.

Just think of it this way. You are buying two tickets in a fare class that has a COS bonus. If you apply a companion certificate you purchase your ticket for the published fare + taxes and the certificate allows you to purchase the second passenger ticket for $99 + taxes. The companion certificate reduces the total price you pay but you are still purchasing two tickets each eligible for the COS.

Hope this helps.

James
FFF,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had hoped that the companion would earn the COS bonus but after searching here and finding this thread, it appeared only the first pax would get the bonus, and that it had been that way in the past. Thanks for your battlefield info that says both pax are getting the COS bonus currently. I will book accordingly and cross fingers that this continues to be the case despite no official word confirming it.

To be clear, you are receiving the EQMs COS bonus for both parties?

Last edited by Ripper3785; Aug 1, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
FFF,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had hoped that the companion would earn the COS bonus but after searching here and finding this thread, it appeared only the first pax would get the bonus, and that it had been that way in the past. Thanks for your battlefield info that says both pax are getting the COS bonus currently. I will book accordingly and cross fingers that this continues to be the case despite no official word confirming it.

To be clear, you are receiving the EQMs COS bonus for both parties?

Absolutely! BOTH parties will receive the COS bonus which are also EQM's. That is why I value my companion certificates. If I put together a 10K mileage run and book into M class for instant upgrades, we are both flying first and earning the 25% bonus. With both parties MVPG we each earn 12.5K EQM + 100% Elite or 22.5K RDM. It adds up quickly. I have been on 38 Alaska Flights this year, have 4 more next week and 10 in October and haven't finalized September yet. I can absolutely confirm both parties on the companion certificate receive the COS bonus.

James
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Another datapoint- both travelers received the CoS bonus for our last companion fare on the outbound. Maybe it makes a difference as it was booked in M and not Y?
I think this may be true.

And something we don't want to advertise too much
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Just curious how I got 1,500 RDMs for SEA-PDX. It was booked as a full Y fare, but I was upgraded to F.
500 miles min x 1.5 = 750 miles after Class of Service bonus.
plus the 125% Gold 75k bonus = 500 miles x 1.25 = 625 bonus miles due to status

so adding those two: 750 + 625 = 1375 miles. Am I missing something? Not that I'm complaining that AS is too generous...just trying to understand the math.

Thanks for shedding any light on this mystery.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koopas
Just curious how I got 1,500 RDMs for SEA-PDX. It was booked as a full Y fare, but I was upgraded to F.
500 miles min x 1.5 = 750 miles after Class of Service bonus.
plus the 125% Gold 75k bonus = 500 miles x 1.25 = 625 bonus miles due to status

so adding those two: 750 + 625 = 1375 miles. Am I missing something? Not that I'm complaining that AS is too generous...just trying to understand the math.

Thanks for shedding any light on this mystery.
Looks like they were treating it as F or P.

Upgraded (not upfared), right?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Looks like they were treating it as F or P.

Upgraded (not upfared), right?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by upfared. That particular segment SEA-PDX was purchased in Y, but was upgraded at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.