Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class drinks...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
While I've yet to drink 8 of anything on an airplane, I do find that prior to the flight it's helpful to put in a request for wheelchair assistance at my destination if I feel I might be wanting to drink a little more than usual on the flight...
Lol that's pretty smart
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:10 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Flat Lake Flyer
I like the free drinks on the long SEA / ANC flights. Is it rude of me to use the call button to ask for more? Or ask .
Short domestic haul for me. Most of mine are 1700 or more miles. 1444 is a short jaunt. Ive never hit the call button for a drink. But if you really want one and they are being lazy or unattentive, feel free to ring it. From my experiences if you are on a late flight from SEA to ANC or a red eye from ANC to SEA, the F service or attentiveness in the F cabin sucks, plain and simple. They assume everybody wants to sleep. Im not sure what times of the day you are traveling. If you are receiving less than 1 drink an hour go ahead and ring the button. There are times I felt that I was being ignored and Im pretty sure I was and probably based on what I was wearing. I typically wear loose khakis or loose jeans and a t shirt when flying for comfort and when I do, Im not asked as often for refills of my beer or jack and coke. Ive noticed if you(or I) are wearing a suit they bring the drinks 1 after the other, also if you are having wine(constant refills).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
A person next to me on a recent transcon had at least 8 Crown Royals and Coke... he didn't seem that drunk at all.. mentioned he was from Alaska, so I'm assuming Alaskans can drink quite heavily
I am the son if an Irish Catholic mother and Russian Jewish father.

My wife is still amazed how much my siblings and I can drink and never look or act intoxicated. We also all wake up in the AM like we haven't had a drop of alcohol.

It's in our DNA I suppose.

Haven't quite made it to 8 on an AS flight though.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
While I've yet to drink 8 of anything on an airplane, I do find that prior to the flight it's helpful to put in a request for wheelchair assistance at my destination if I feel I might be wanting to drink a little more than usual on the flight...
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Lol that's pretty smart
well played, sir!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:13 am

Hi -

Back in the day, I used to clean them out of Red Bull. I would start with two cans, a glass full of ice and four lime wedges. They would be gone within 30 minutes, when I would just get additional ones one at a time.

I only got a case of the shakes once, as I was getting off a transcon.

I was just following my late father's advice on drinking in an airplane: Gulp, Gulp and Sip.

Although he was referring to Bombay Sapphire Gin Martinis - about the only reason he liked NW.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah... Northwest... Back in the day their drink service was strictly Broadway.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by macfadsj
Getting back to the question of ringing the call button to order another drink,
using simple eye contact and body or verbal language, it should be possible to order another drink every 30-45 minutes, assuming one could drink that much.

When you catch the flight attendants' attention in this manner, it tends to be at a time that is mutually convenient to both of you. When you ring the call button, it is at your convenience, but may not be at the convenience of the flight attendant, who is taking care of up to 15 other passengers.

Much more respectful to refrain from using the call button to order drinks IMHO.
Well said. I completely agree.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I will only use the call button for drinks in long haul biz class at night if my tray is full of food or otherwise difficult to get out of the seat and walk to the galley. I think it's rude outside that situation.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I always make it a point to let the FA know I'm not driving if I am ordering doubles. I have layovers in Seattle and a pick up at my destination.

The FA on Monday bringing back sad Hawk fans from LAX was VERY supportive of the first class passengers in mourning. Thought I was good until I walked up the jetway.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
If I were a Seahawk fan, I think I would have requested wheelchair assistance after that flight...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Until the beginning of this year, on ~90 percent of flights, I had been served doubles (or singles poured in a glass and an extra unopened mini). I have never ordered a double on an aircraft in my life. Always assume that was standard policy. I typically sip my drinks and a double lasts about an hour.

Beginning this year on flights (12 segments SEA to east coast, so really 6 fights because I don't drink the Dewars swill on am flights), FAs have brought only singles. That's fine, but I end up asking for refills more often. No problems getting refills (as a seatmate confirmed last week when he ordered double Jacks every 20 minutes or so for most of the flight... that dude could really put it back).

Something must have changed from being served doubles nearly everytime to never being served doubles.

#aspleasebringbackglenlivet
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Various reports have mentioned that Glenlivet no longer bottles mini's for the airlines.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it was probably 30 years ago, but I still remember there was a guy next to me in F who put away four JDs on LGB-SEA
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

In the early days of Southwest Airlines when the drinks were free and I was young and (more) foolish, I, on an occasional Friday afternoon, would enjoy two doubles on HOU-DAL. Wisely, I was picked up.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 8, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by LBJ
Various reports have mentioned that Glenlivet no longer bottles mini's for the airlines.
#glenlivetpleasebringbackglenlivetminis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.