Seahawks flew to Phoenix on Delta..

Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Putzy
Same aircraft (N453AS) with updated livery.
Thanks for the clarification. I saw the old logos a week or two ago so I figured they just slapped it on another plane.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
It's pretty funny how AS has to avoid using the words "Seahawks" "Super Bowl" etc. They only use generic terms like "hometown team" "big game" the number 12 and green/blue colors. Anytime Russell is shown with a jersey it's just a #3 without any logos.
The names "Seahawks" and "Super Bowl" are trademarked so AS can't use them. What's amazing to me is AS was the "official airline of the Seattle Seahawks" for many years. How they let that get away from them is a bit perplexing.

Originally Posted by djp98374
Its something the NFL has been big time fighting the last 5 yrs or so when non licensed companies use "Super Bowl" in advertising.
The NFL has that trademarked. They've even tried trademarking "The Big Game" but were unsuccessful. The words "Super Bowl" can be used (just like a lot of trademarked names), but you can't make it look like the NFL is endorsing the items, which is why a lot of people just don't mess with using it.

Originally Posted by djp98374
There have been issues with the sports tea. Especialy in hockey. A few near border American teams use Canadian licensed companies for their contract flying.
Near border? The Anaheim Ducks and LA Kings used Air Canada Jetz. Not really sure a team based in SoCal counts as a "near border" team (unless we're talking about Mexico). That being said, the dust up about Air Canada doing NHL charter work has been resolved since 2009.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
At one time, AS did fly the Seahawks. I distinctly remember some sort of distinctive plaque as you boarded the 727, on the aisle wall just behind the forward galley, as you made the right turn to go to your seat.

Said something to the effect that this is the plane, named Seahawk 1, used to fly the Seahawks to away games.

Gardyloo has posted picture of this plane, so I know it really did exist. This is not some dream thing I have with the hawks flying on AS...they really did.... a long time ago

But doing a search for "Seahawk 1" gave me little but this youtube video of
its departure from LAX in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oob1FQ99zrA

Nothing very unusual about the video except it is Seahawk 1, departing LAX circa 1989. Kind of interesting to see LAX back then.

FWIW, Russell Wilson was about 1 year old when this video was made.

Go Hawks!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I flew on that jet in Sep 1991 ... each seat in F had a little brass plaque with a coach's name; each window and aisle seat in Y had a plaque with a player's name
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Near border? The Anaheim Ducks and LA Kings used Air Canada Jetz. Not really sure a team based in SoCal counts as a "near border" team (unless we're talking about Mexico). That being said, the dust up about Air Canada doing NHL charter work has been resolved since 2009.
The issue was that under normal rules AC, as a foreign airline, couldn't carry passengers between two US points without also carrying that same passenger to or from a foreign point, that being Canada in this case. Now there were some sort of exemptions that allowed multiple stops over multiple days over a road trip before this had to happen BUT the complication with sports teams is that players get injured, new players join during a road trip, certain non-playing staff may not make the whole trip, technically violating cabotage rules. A deal was reached after it was made an issue between the Canadian PM and US President at a White House meeting. The spat threatened both NHL and NBA schedules but probably cost some AC Jetz contracts while the dispute was unresolved during the off-season.

Of course, since there are no Canadian NFL teams, AC Jetz would never have regular series of flights going transborder and it wouldn't have been allowed. And AC Jetz is now history, probably due to the NHL lockout in 2013, which forced AC to reconfigure Jetz to normal configurations and then not put them back once the season resumed and several teams cancelled their charters due to not having all "first class" seating.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tusphotog
The only pro sports teams that routinely use wide bodies are the NFL. A lot of other pro teams use the Delta or Air Canada A319s that are configured with 50 some first class seats (one of the Delta A319 charter planes is flying PHX-SEA the day after the super bowl).
Delta publishes the seat map for their A319 VIP configuration, available for charter.

There's a moderately informative puff piece from Bloomberg from a few years ago about Delta's charter operation. AS certainly doesn't have anything on that scale.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
It's pretty funny how AS has to avoid using the words "Seahawks" "Super Bowl" etc. They only use generic terms like "hometown team" "big game" the number 12 and green/blue colors. Anytime Russell is shown with a jersey it's just a #3 without any logos. I'm surprised that players are even allowed do their own deals with competitors to their team's corporate sponsors.
Sponsorships are funny. I'm always amused by a commercial run by the Red Sox' own radio network for which some promo happens if "a member of the hometown team" hits the ball over "the green wall".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.