Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Trav+
A quick question for those in the know. I've booked to fly YVR to PHX via SEA, with the YVR to SEA sectors on AS then SEA to PHX on AA metal. Travelling in early December.

As a BAEC Silver cardholder, oneworld Sapphire, will I have access to the Board Room at SEA along with the Plaza Premium lounge at YVR? If yes to the former and no to the latter that will be all right, but it would be nice to be able to make a quick visit to both.

Thanks very much.
If booked in Y, then no. OWS status matters not for AS lounge access, and AS flights don't count as oneworld.

If on revenue C/F, then yes to the Board Room, by virtue of your premium fare. Unsure about about Plaza Premium.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
No, because you can only use 1 non-AS partner each way. In your case, you have both CX and AA, which is a no-go for a single award.

Separately, NRT-HKG-LAX should be legal. Perhaps tack on LAX-SEA-YEG on AS?
Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Does anyone know if I can use an AS board room day pass if I'm flying on Delta? Long layover in LAX tomorrow and it would be nice to get in over there.
It's my understanding that it makes no difference who or even if you are flying when you are using a day pass. I've never been asked for a BP when entering using a day pass. I am sometimes asked what flight I am on in PDX but only because the staff are so great that they want to check to see whether it's on time for me. Not because they want to make sure I am flying on AS.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:22 am

Hi guys, I'm flying from New York to Los Angeles as a part of my honeymoon. When I booked tickets I forgot to reserve seats. I checked yesterday but it gave me this message "All seats available for pre-assignment are taken. Seats may become available closer to departure or during check-in, otherwise please see an Airport Customer Service Agent on the day of departure for a seat assignment." Does this mean that we're likely to get bumped from the flight? If so my wife will kill me!

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:24 pm

Companion fare

Will there be a problem if I bought a round trip companion ticket and on the return trip only the companion will be on he flight? As the purchaser, I would like to extend my flight and buy a separate one way ticket?

Alaska said it would cost the companion $259 to stay on the existing flight.

How would Alaska know that the purchaser is not on the flight? Will they collect the $259 somehow?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by withnail1967
Hi guys, I'm flying from New York to Los Angeles as a part of my honeymoon. When I booked tickets I forgot to reserve seats. I checked yesterday but it gave me this message "All seats available for pre-assignment are taken. Seats may become available closer to departure or during check-in, otherwise please see an Airport Customer Service Agent on the day of departure for a seat assignment." Does this mean that we're likely to get bumped from the flight? If so my wife will kill me!

Thanks in advance for any replies
Not necessarily. Alaska reserves many seats on the plane for assignment by its elite members. If all of the regular non-elite seats are full, then there very well may be a bunch of seats open in the elite section. These will either become available to you at online check-in or you will be assigned to one by an airport agent.

There are ways to see all seats on the plane (for example, the seat selection page you're looking at only shows you seats you can pick, but the "view seats" option on the regular search results page shows all seats), but even if all seats are filled, there are still several seats held back for airport assignment, and remember that there are often a lot of no-shows and misconnects on each flight, so it's highly likely there will be an open seat for you. (Alaska is very good at not over-overbooking their flights--they have an industry-leading low bump rate.)

In the worst case, though, if you do get bumped, you should at least get a fat wad of cash for the inconvenience, so wave some money around at your wife and maybe she won't be as mad at you.

Originally Posted by Kanaha
Will there be a problem if I bought a round trip companion ticket and on the return trip only the companion will be on he flight? As the purchaser, I would like to extend my flight and buy a separate one way ticket?

Alaska said it would cost the companion $259 to stay on the existing flight.

How would Alaska know that the purchaser is not on the flight? Will they collect the $259 somehow?

Thanks.
When the gate agents go to close the flight, they will see that there are some booked passengers who haven't boarded. They will likely make a couple of terminal-wide PA announcements for these passengers to immediately proceed to the gate for their flight, and when they don't, a few keystrokes will mark the passengers who didn't board as "no-shows" and automatically offload them from the flight so they can close the flight out and get it on the way on-time.

As far as I know, nothing pops up on their screen in this case with any type of alert saying that the passenger is on a companion reservation and cannot be split or anything, so I am fairly sure that the companion would be perfectly fine to travel.

Even if some alert does pop up, the gate agents are trying their hardest to get the flight out on time, so they would almost certainly not take the time to go in and deal with rebooking and reticketing the reservation, going on-board, finding your companion, pulling them off the flight, etc.--they simply don't have the time to do that. At the most, they might pop on and ask you if your companion forgot about the flight or something, but all your companion needs to say is simply "He/she couldn't make the flight" and off they go.

Last edited by jackal; Aug 13, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:38 pm

Many thanks for your help. I'm a wee bit less worried now

Edit: Or maybe not! I checked the flight online and there are only 3 seats left!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I don't believe you have to actually be flying AS to use the day pass. You should be ok.
Originally Posted by CDKing
You can use Pass for the boardroom without flying AS.
Originally Posted by Finkface
It's my understanding that it makes no difference who or even if you are flying when you are using a day pass. I've never been asked for a BP when entering using a day pass. I am sometimes asked what flight I am on in PDX but only because the staff are so great that they want to check to see whether it's on time for me. Not because they want to make sure I am flying on AS.
thanks. AF ended up screwing the pooch on my inbound flight to the point where i would not have made the connection if my DL outbound was not also delayed. thus no stop off in the BR for me...but this is good info for next time.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:50 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have a flight tomorrow that starts with a US Air segment and then has an AA segment. I originally had it booked with my AS number knowing I would not get mileage credit for the US segment. When I just checked in on the US site, I, without thinking, put in my AA number. I see it printed on both my US and AA BPs. It's not the worst thing in the world if it stays like that, but I would rather it not.

Should I call and uncheck in and have the AA number removed and put AS back?
Would I be able to do this at the airport tomorrow?
Would I be able to have the first segment credit AA and then have the second segment changed at the gate at my first stop to AS?

The first segment is short so I really don't care if I don't get miles for it.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I have a flight tomorrow that starts with a US Air segment and then has an AA segment. I originally had it booked with my AS number knowing I would not get mileage credit for the US segment. When I just checked in on the US site, I, without thinking, put in my AA number. I see it printed on both my US and AA BPs. It's not the worst thing in the world if it stays like that, but I would rather it not.

Should I call and uncheck in and have the AA number removed and put AS back?
Would I be able to do this at the airport tomorrow?
Would I be able to have the first segment credit AA and then have the second segment changed at the gate at my first stop to AS?

The first segment is short so I really don't care if I don't get miles for it.
An AA ticket agent at the airport tomorrow should be able to help you and is more likely to get the desired outcome than a phone agent (unless you have access to the elite line). I would also get paper BPs and save them, you can always contact AA/AS for adjustment of the miles after you see where they post. I don't believe that AA allows you to split credit for segments ahead of time, but what might work is to change the reservation FF# to AS, then claim retro-active credit with AA for the US segment after your trip. Good luck.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:12 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
So I ended up calling US Air/AA. They removed the AA number and put the AS number back. What I did seem to find by accident is I did not lose my premium seats that my AS status gets me when my AA number was in the record.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 14, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:53 am

I'm flying BOS-SAN next week and am wondering whether I can access a lounge either in BOS or SAN. My understanding is that board room members can access Delta SkyClubs in airports when there's no board room. I can access board rooms via my priority pass or 1-day passes I got from 75k status, and I can access skyclubs when flying Delta via my platinum card, but I assume neither of those will get me into the skyclub when flying Alaska. Am I SOL on lounge access for this trip?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:10 pm

Last week I purchases a SEA-EWR round trip. SEA-EWR was H class so I'm waitlisted for an upgrade, EWR-SEA I used a gold guest upgrade. I checked this morning and the outbound fare has dropped by $50 (return fare is unchanged). If I use the price match guarantee will the following happen?

Outbound: Since I'd presumably drop below H class, I'd lose my waitlisted upgrade, at least until T-72 hours
Return: The fare class isn't changing, but would I still lose my first class seat and not get the gold guest upgrade returned to me? The flight still has U availability.

ETA: I found my own workaround. I went to my reservation and chose "change flights". Then I kept my return flight with it's 1st class upgrade, and was able to "change" my outbound flight to the same flight, but from H-->Q class to get my $50 credit. Outbound flight's in 2 weeks, so I doubt I would have gotten the gold upgrade anyway.

Last edited by tornado163; Aug 15, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Its in a different terminal, but iirc there is an Airspace lounge in SAN you can access with your AMEX Plat. And in BOS there is an AF lounge you can access with PP (again, another terminal). So not completely shot, just a bit complicated.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Its in a different terminal, but iirc there is an Airspace lounge in SAN you can access with your AMEX Plat. And in BOS there is an AF lounge you can access with PP (again, another terminal). So not completely shot, just a bit complicated.
Thanks. Though I think it's unlikely that I'd get past TSA in Terminal E to get to the AF lounge when I'm flying out of C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.