Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Id be completely shocked if anything lower than 30K shows up for the non-stop AS flights, especially when the morning flight only has unrestricted (Y) revenue fare bucket open and the early evening only has the highest level (Y/B/M) fare buckets open

AS 17 F2 D2 P0 U0 A0 Y7 Z7 S0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 L0 V0 K0 G0 T0 R0 N0 W0 E0
AS 11 F7 D7 P0 U0 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H0 Q0 L0 V0 K0 G0 T0 R0 N0 W0 E0
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
If you can take 11 (the 520pm one)....

Or, if you can go on the 17th and get to JFK, there's a JFK-LAS-SEA route on Delta/AS for 25k miles
11 was the flight I originally saw the 20k on and it technically was to GEG.

I've hit MVP on AS, that doesnt allow any free bag checkins with Delta does it? I see AA mentioned but no Delta.

Thank you again for the information.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Rachies
I need to go cross country in a week and a half for a civil service exam (trying to restart my life). While at work, I noticed 20k award mile flights from EWR to SEA on Sat 7/18. When I got home that option was gone. I've earned 25k miles this year and I'm going broke going back and forth for exams (last trip cost 1200+ round trip) The next reward travel option is 30k miles, but I dont have enough and im unsure I can even afford a to buy the miles and then buy a return ticket home.

Is there any chance the 20k reward tickets will return before the flight on July 18th?

I'm new to flying Alaska since trying to relocate and Im not sure how their award travel works.

Thank you for any help, even if it's bad news
I see this available for 25K on 7/18:
Delta 419 JFK 3:45 pm SEA 7:12 pm
Alaska 698 SEA 11:10 pm GEG Next day arrival: 12:05 am

There are also some options combining DL and AS on 7/17, but nothing out of EWR.

If you can leave Friday 7/17 out of PHL, you can go all the way on AS metal for 20K.

Alaska 31 PHL 6:05 pm SEA 9:19 pm

Public/train transit options to PHL and JFK are not completely unreasonable in price from the EWR area and are certainly cheaper than buying a ticket or purchasing more miles.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Alaska 31 PHL 6:05 pm SEA 9:19 pm

Public/train transit options to PHL and JFK are not completely unreasonable.
That PHL flight just might work thanks!!
I love SAN and did the ZFV-SAN on UA a decent amount so the trains to PHL should be cake.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

I'm just impressed that there's an East to West connection that doesn't require an overnight! Good work finding that.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm just impressed that there's an East to West connection that doesn't require an overnight! Good work finding that.
You can do BOS-SEA-BOS in the same day. Most AS destination can be reached from BOS with the 10AM arrival in SEA

BOS-PDX-ANC/BLI/EUG/LAX/MFR/PSC/RDM/SFO/SEA/GEG/YVR
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Upgrade on DL LAX-SAL?

Just checking my DL segment on delta.com - I have my MVPG number listed and was able to select exit row.

Although Alaska states DL upgrades are domestic/Mexico/Canada/select Caribbean, my reservation on Delta.com shows "MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED"

Guessing website glitch.. but could I really be eligible? There are only 5 of the 16 seats filled in Business (4 by my family members who used AS miles). Flight overall does not look very full, so not an op-up chance.

Last edited by bmvaughn; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
You can do BOS-SEA-BOS in the same day. Most AS destination can be reached from BOS with the 10AM arrival in SEA

BOS-PDX-ANC/BLI/EUG/LAX/MFR/PSC/RDM/SFO/SEA/GEG/YVR
My brain must filter out correct answers, since now that I think about this, you're absolutely right.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Just checking my DL segment on delta.com - I have my MVPG number listed and was able to select exit row.

Although Alaska states DL upgrades are domestic/Mexico/Canada/select Caribbean, my reservation on Delta.com shows "MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED"

Guessing website glitch.. but could I really be eligible? There are only 5 of the 16 seats filled in Business (4 by my family members who used AS miles). Flight overall does not look very full, so not an op-up chance.
You are likely to get upgraded. LAX-Central America flights are as close to a slam dunk as you can get. Just make sure you can see yourself on the web list after OLCI. If not, tweet DL Assist to get added to the list.

Flights from USA to central america are complimentary upgrade eligible, as are flights within the USA (except SFO/LAX-JFK, ATL-HNL), and flights from the US to Caribbean. This is true for medallion members, as well as partner elites such as MVPG.

Earlier this year i would have been upgraded LAX-GUA both ways (they were selling F at the gate for $$) but I bought an F fare cause I wanted the guarantee and needed the extra EQMs. LAX-Central America flights are pretty rough in Y, so usually I just pay for J, even though I'd expect to be upgraded almost every time.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
You are likely to get upgraded. LAX-Central America flights are as close to a slam dunk as you can get. Just make sure you can see yourself on the web list after OLCI. If not, tweet DL Assist to get added to the list.

Flights from USA to central america are complimentary upgrade eligible, as are flights within the USA (except SFO/LAX-JFK, ATL-HNL), and flights from the US to Caribbean. This is true for medallion members, as well as partner elites such as MVPG.

Earlier this year i would have been upgraded LAX-GUA both ways (they were selling F at the gate for $$) but I bought an F fare cause I wanted the guarantee and needed the extra EQMs. LAX-Central America flights are pretty rough in Y, so usually I just pay for J, even though I'd expect to be upgraded almost every time.
Well that's great to hear, thx! AS's site doesn't say Central America is covered.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Well that's great to hear, thx! AS's site doesn't say Central America is covered.
I believe every route that is Medallion Upgrade eligible for DL elites is also upgrade eligible for AS Elites.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
My wife is flying DL in a few weeks and I made the reservation over the phone due to difficulties processing a certificate. I gave the agent her MP# and I notice in the reservation on DL.com that it now has a bunch of leading zeroes. Does that matter? Should I call and get it fixed?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
My wife is flying DL in a few weeks and I made the reservation over the phone due to difficulties processing a certificate. I gave the agent her MP# and I notice in the reservation on DL.com that it now has a bunch of leading zeroes. Does that matter? Should I call and get it fixed?
a reasonable test is if you have a domestic segment and it shows upgrade requested or upgrade eligible, if so everything is fine.

everyone so often i see my DL reservations have leading 0's and i have not failed to have them work correctly.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
a reasonable test is if you have a domestic segment and it shows upgrade requested or upgrade eligible, if so everything is fine.

everyone so often i see my DL reservations have leading 0's and i have not failed to have them work correctly.
Can't do the test due to it being booked in F. I'll wait the 7+ days for the miles to post and if they don't, I'll submit the missing mileage request.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I think it should be fine.

This is sometimes required on partner carriers to accept AS #'s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.