FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Lounges in SAN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1643202-lounges-san.html)

Cardboard55 Jan 5, 2015 9:21 pm

Lounges in SAN

I've never been to SAN before (at least, not that I remember), so I'm not really clear on the terminal size and layout. I know there's no Board Room, but I have Admirals Club and United Club memberships. So I should have access to the Airspace Lounge and United Club. However, it looks like both of those are in Terminal 2, and according to the map all AS flights depart from Terminal 1. Is it easy enough to get between the terminals to use one of the lounges before my flight, or am I out of luck? Is it accurate that all AS flights depart from Terminal 1?

WinSea Jan 5, 2015 9:56 pm

I was wrong about SAN Airport, for some reason I thought you meant SFO, I believe you can use Delta Sky Club if you are a board room member? Am I right? People

Jimgotkp Jan 5, 2015 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by WinSea (Post 24109084)
If you are a board room member, you have access to Cathy Pacific Lounge at terminal 1, which is pretty nice.

Umm a CX lounge at SAN? :confused:

I visited the Airspace Lounge last year even though I was flying out of SAN on AS. Clearing security with the AS BP wasn't an issue. It took maybe 15/20 minutes to get to my gate from the lounge.

Orwaid Jan 5, 2015 10:37 pm

Clearly WinSea is confusing SAN with SFO.

There are no lounges in the AS terminal in SAN. If there is no line, the walk and TSA can take 15 minutes from the other terminal.

PDXPremier Jan 5, 2015 10:54 pm

By far one of my LEAST favorite connection cities....what a cramped little terminal with very few food options post-security...hope and pray for a short connection...love the city, can't stand the airport.

WinSea Jan 5, 2015 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 24109235)
Clearly WinSea is confusing SAN with SFO.

There are no lounges in the AS terminal in SAN. If there is no line, the walk and TSA can take 15 minutes from the other terminal.

You are right, I just realized that

WinSea Jan 5, 2015 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 24109133)

I visited the Airspace Lounge last year even though I was flying out of SAN on AS. Clearing security with the AS BP wasn't an issue. It took maybe 15/20 minutes to get to my gate from the lounge.

I was wrong! HAHA Sorry, confused with SFO airport.

beckoa Jan 5, 2015 11:31 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp

Originally Posted by WinSea (Post 24109084)
If you are a board room member, you have access to Cathy Pacific Lounge at terminal 1, which is pretty nice.

Thanks for the heads up on the Airspace Lounge trek. Wish AS would take over the old CO PC space.

SanDiego1K Jan 6, 2015 12:43 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24109425)
[Wish AS would take over the old CO PC space.

Being annoyingly pedantic, that was UA space. CO always operated from the new terminal. And yes, I wish AS would pony up the money and take over the lounge. After all, AS has a mini hub in San Diego that blessedly seems to keep adding destinations.

beckoa Jan 6, 2015 2:01 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24109425)
[Wish AS would take over the old CO PC space.

Being annoyingly pedantic, that was UA space. CO always operated from the new terminal. And yes, I wish AS would pony up the money and take over the lounge. After all, AS has a mini hub in San Diego that blessedly seems to keep adding destinations.

Blast...not sure why I was thinking CO oh well.

Has anything happened to the space yet?

WhIteSidE Jan 6, 2015 11:11 am

The thing about SAN is, the airport is right next to downtown. So if you have 3+ hours, that's more than enough time to head over the the gaslight district and get some good grub. I'd probably even try it on a 2 hour layover, if I had pre-check.

JPat Jan 6, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 24109293)
By far one of my LEAST favorite connection cities....what a cramped little terminal with very few food options post-security...hope and pray for a short connection...love the city, can't stand the airport.

+1 here!

beckoa Jan 6, 2015 12:08 pm

But for those flying out there is practically nothing in the AS terminal, and the rental car roulette isn't exactly the most efficient either.

djtsukasa Jan 6, 2015 12:35 pm

True on most accounts of SAN. However, the difference between Terminal 1 and 2 are night and day. Not too hard to walk from Terminal 1 to 2 for the lounge if you really want to, but wish they would do something with terminal 1. Or at the very least *somehow* connect the two terminals airside.

Cardboard55 Jan 6, 2015 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE (Post 24112486)
The thing about SAN is, the airport is right next to downtown. So if you have 3+ hours, that's more than enough time to head over the the gaslight district and get some good grub. I'd probably even try it on a 2 hour layover, if I had pre-check.

We're originating from SAN, not connecting. We live nearest to SNA, but we're going to OGG and the direct flights were either from LAX or SAN. I fly out of LAX a lot, and I figured there's no way SAN can be worse than LAX, so I took a gamble. I'd generally rather deal with a small and barren terminal than the cluster that LAX tends to be (not to mention traffic on the 405).

Having to clear security after leaving the lounge always stresses me out, and hopefully we can manage to arrive not too ridiculously early, so hanging out in the terminal won't be the end of the world.

Thanks for the info, everyone!