Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges in SAN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
The distance between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 is very walkable as others have mentioned.

As for security in Terminal 1 (Alaska) I have yet to see the TSA precheck line open if that pertains to you and your traveling party...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Yes, we do have Pre Check. Does the regular line get long?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I call terminal 1 in SAN the third world terminal. Stinks like gym socks all the time. HOWEVER, they have been remodeling it. There is a United Club in Terminal 1 but you have to schlep over to Terminal 2 for anything else.

There is a pre check line at Terminal 1 but depending on the time you get to the airport, it is rarely open. If it is a busy time they open it, otherwise not.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

But for those flying out there is practically nothing in the AS terminal, and the rental car roulette isn't exactly the most efficient either.
Beckoa,
Could you expand on your commentary about "rental car roulette"?
I haven't rented there in many years and we are heading to SAN this month & will be renting a vehicle for our further travels around the area.
Thx,
JPat
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by JPat

But for those flying out there is practically nothing in the AS terminal, and the rental car roulette isn't exactly the most efficient either.
Beckoa,
Could you expand on your commentary about "rental car roulette"?
I haven't rented there in many years and we are heading to SAN this month & will be renting a vehicle for our further travels around the area.
Thx,
JPat
Its an off site facility that requires a shuttle of uneven frequency depending on company used. And the roulette aspect IMO is if the shuttle stops at T2 or not (for the return?)

Just not convenient like LGB for sure!

Also annoying is the trek over the shuttle pickup area crossing a bridge that taunts you with the shuttle you want. When you make it down its gone.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
Interesting. Yes, we do have Pre Check. Does the regular line get long?
It's not so much about the line being long as the minor annoyance of no express lane and having to removing my laptop and toiletries (that I have so carefully tucked away in my one bag carry-on.) If you have precheck, the only benefit is shoes and belt can stay on.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:32 am

Its an off site facility that requires a shuttle of uneven frequency depending on company used. And the roulette aspect IMO is if the shuttle stops at T2 or not (for the return?)

Just not convenient like LGB for sure!

Also annoying is the trek over the shuttle pickup area crossing a bridge that taunts you with the shuttle you want. When you make it down its gone.
I've experienced that taunt before. It's no fun.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
There is a United Club in Terminal 1
Was closed when UA moved to terminal 2, remains empty.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
Was closed when UA moved to terminal 2, remains empty.
Exactly- a 'was'...

Wonder if SAN is trying to do anything with the space?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Exactly- a 'was'...

Wonder if SAN is trying to do anything with the space?
It's been hoped that were Alaska to increase its presence at SAN, they might use that space for a Boardroom. I've spent many an hour in there when it was a United Club. It's a great facility - I actually like it more than United's new club over in T2.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:48 am

I personally do not mind Terminal 1 (Alaska side). Rarely busy w/pre-check line. They recently remodeled the bar inside and there is a host of decent places to eat outside of security.

re: rental cars, use google maps to locate clusters of car rental locations. I often will rent with Alamo and take the fox shuttle if first (and walk the 1.5 blocks to Alamo).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:56 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Being annoyingly pedantic, that was UA space. CO always operated from the new terminal. And yes, I wish AS would pony up the money and take over the lounge. After all, AS has a mini hub in San Diego that blessedly seems to keep adding destinations.
Ditto!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:41 pm

I'm sure it's a standoff over rent. SAN probably is sitting there thinking they have one and only one T1 tenant that operates a lounge in that side of the terminal so AS needs to come up, and AS is probably sitting there thinking SAN will have no other takers for the space so they need to come down.

Quite honestly, AS is doing just fine out of SAN without a lounge since they don't connect many (any?) passengers there anyway and T1 is the kind of place where you show up, get a coffee and board. SAN, on the other hand, is completely losing out on rent. The rational thing to have happen is for AS to lease the space at a discount. This all assumes AS is interested in opening a new lounge, though.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:00 pm

I've connected several times in SAN in the last year.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:57 pm

I've connected several times in SAN in the last year.
Because you had to, or because it was 1200 more miles than connecting in SEA?

I stand corrected - I thought AS was mainly running O&D out of SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.