Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What should I expect for AA market BA metal credit to AS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

Sometimes when booking TATL on AA, I can pay a little more tax (like $20) to fly BA instead. Not saying that's a good idea (as MVPG I can choose MCE for free on AA metal but can't even choose a seat on BA metal), I'm just curious on what should I expect for crediting the BA metals to AS? AS website says only BA market and BA metal can get credits, is that really the case?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Not sure about BA/AA codeshares, but several times I have flown DL metal sold as KL. The miles didn't post automatically, but I was able to request them by email.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fishywang
Sometimes when booking TATL on AA, I can pay a little more tax (like $20) to fly BA instead. Not saying that's a good idea (as MVPG I can choose MCE for free on AA metal but can't even choose a seat on BA metal), I'm just curious on what should I expect for crediting the BA metals to AS? AS website says only BA market and BA metal can get credits, is that really the case?
You may be able to get credit by doing something like sending in the boarding pass, but it would be an expensive lesson if that doesn't work. The safest assumption is that if an airline publishes a rule, the rule will be honored...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:29 am

To re-open this old post: I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with this. I'm looking to book a ticket from KOA/HNL to JNB and there is no way for me to go all the way on AA metal. I take it unless I can get a ticket with the BA flights as "marketed" by BA and not as AA code shares I shouldn't count on those miles?

I could go DL all the way but with the devaluation of miles earned on DL and MCE on AA I'd rather not.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:38 am

As for pure BA flights getting miles credited to AS, I had no issues last year. The miles show up in the usual 1-2 weeks after travel. I did have a flight last year that was AA operated, BA marketed. I didn't get the domestic leg, but my international leg did credit. I find with codeshares it is hit or miss.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I'm looking to book a ticket from KOA/HNL to JNB and there is no way for me to go all the way on AA metal. I take it unless I can get a ticket with the BA flights as "marketed" by BA and not as AA code shares I shouldn't count on those miles?
They technically do not have to give miles unless the flights are "marketed and operated by" the same carrier, which excludes codeshares, but as you can see some have written in and had success getting miles posted after their flights were completed. No, you shouldn't count on them; yes, you might get them.

The AS codeshare prohibition is a total pain in the neck. I flew DL JFK-CDG-LHR sometime last year, the CDG-LHR segment was a DL codeshare on AF metal, and I didn't get credit. Half the DL TATL services from the east coast and LAX are VS metal bearing DL flight numbers, and I haven't booked those for the same reason (and of course in 2015 I'm not likely to book DL at all if I can help it). But it is very hard to put together same-metal itineraries on AS partners to secondary overseas destinations. It used to be simpler when AF served SEA but now virtually every itinerary is a mashup of AF, KL, DL, AA, BA, or VS metal, and something is bound not to qualify. AS ought to fix this.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
I flew DL JFK-CDG-LHR sometime last year, the CDG-LHR segment was a DL codeshare on AF metal, and I didn't get credit.
Did you request missing miles credit for it? We've had threads on this before, specifically regarding DL/AF codeshares. My CDG-OTP flights always post after requesting missing miles credit.

Neil
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by missamo80
Did you request missing miles credit for it?
I didn't, and the statute of limitations has now expired. But I go by the published rules and don't expect exemptions.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
AS ought to fix this.
It's not AS's decision alone to fix this; it's the OAL that has to write a check and buy AS miles. What's the inducement for someone on a codeshare marketed by a partner to buy miles when the mileage partner involved isn't part of an alliance (which gives an easy way to reconcile these sorts of things)?

I would be careful of what you ask for; the easiest way to "fix" this would be AS joining one of OW or ST... and losing a bunch of EQM partners.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What's the inducement for someone on a codeshare marketed by a partner to buy miles when the mileage partner involved isn't part of an alliance (which gives an easy way to reconcile these sorts of things).
AA/BA, and DL/AF, are both pairs where both airlines involved partner with Alaska.

Neil
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Just reprint the boarding pass of the operating airline with your AS number on it. Then send it in.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:02 am

What was the end result here?

I'm looking at AA 6127 (SEA-LHR) which is really BA 49.

AA Flight # on BA Metal - I've searched through the forums and it appears that if the AA flight number is outside of the eligible flights, your best bet is to either; A. Book the qualifying carrier, or B. Send in the boarding pass after the fact to *try* to get credit for AS MVP. Does that sound right?

Any other tips?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Those are your options. If you want absolute guarantee you'll get the miles, book the qualifying carrier. Option B, in practice, has worked every time I've done it but there is no guarantee it will.

If you are dependent on this flight to hit MVP then I suggest booking with BA so you know for sure you'll get credit.

Neil
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
I flew on an AA ticket on BA metal in June (YVR-Europe) and had the inbound trip credit automatically, had to send in BP for the outbound trip... from talking with customer service, they gave the impression that as long as both marketing and operating carrier are partners, there shouldn't be any problems with getting credit.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelmonkey05
I flew on an AA ticket on BA metal in June (YVR-Europe) and had the inbound trip credit automatically, had to send in BP for the outbound trip... from talking with customer service, they gave the impression that as long as both marketing and operating carrier are partners, there shouldn't be any problems with getting credit.
Thanks. Spoke with an agent this morning that said the same thing regarding marketing/operating carriers both being partners.

My question to her was why don't they put that information on their website?

In all seriousness, it's interesting this particular AA flight number is not called out specifically since it's from one of Alaska's largest hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.