Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mobile Meal Pre-order Coming to AS in coach!

Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I just noticed this on the blog. Meal Pre-orders via the Android app and mobile web coming to AS (iOS update next week). It will debut on SEA-Hawaii and Transcon and rolled out to most other locations in January

Alaska launches mobile ordering, letting travelers reserve meals before flights

Mobile ordering will initially be available on flights between Seattle and the Hawaiian islands and on transcontinental flights, and will be rolled out at most other locations served by Alaska in January, said David Rodriguez, manager of onboard food and beverage.
Travelers can reserve their favorite meals with ease on Alaska’s Android app and mobile website up to 12 hours before their flight and pay when the flight attendant delivers the meal onboard. Mobile ordering on Alaska’s iOS app will be available later this week.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:17 pm

This a nice addition, for sure.

Question for FTers. Have you ever had AS run out of hot meals in coach? If so, what row were you in?

I personally in the past several years have not sat beyond the exit rows. As such the meals have, for me, always been available.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
This is good news. Have a transcon in the spring with kids so can't wait to try it out.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
This is awesome! Makes sense that it would cut down on waste.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Wish they did this like how AA does it in F, but this is still a step in the right direction!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Wish they did this like how AA does it in F, but this is still a step in the right direction!
+1

I actually like not having to pre-pay since if I get upgraded at the gate, I don't want to be stuck having paid for a me in Y while sitting in F.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I was in F just a few weeks ago from SEA to BOS and they ran out of the "good" meal....had to settle for the pasta. NO polenta though, so there's that ;-)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:38 am

Every flight along the west coast lately I've been sitting in F and trying to get some Chili, but no luck.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Sounds like a great arrangement for those who pine for the cheeseburger only to see supplies run out before the cart gets to them. Wonder if F pax will be afforded this opportunity.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dave1013
Sounds like a great arrangement for those who pine for the cheeseburger only to see supplies run out before the cart gets to them. Wonder if F pax will be afforded this opportunity.
They may be able to alder or oak for this opportunity, but an F pax would never pine.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They may be able to alder or oak for this opportunity, but an F pax would never pine.
Agreed.

I could never figure out the deciduous vs. non-deciduous thing anyway.

That said, the intent I wanted to convey was that pax in steerage would be doing the pining, since sometimes the cart is devoid of cheeseburgers by the time it gets to you.

I speak from experience!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by beaver
...Question for FTers. Have you ever had AS run out of hot meals in coach? If so, what row were you in?...
Yes on a number of occasions. My husband and I usually sit in the back of coach (the last 5 rows or so) when we're not in F. I think AS has erred on the side of not having perishable food left over so it's not been uncommon to find nothing left but the good-until-the-next-century snack packs when we're way in back. Not even a cheese and fruit plate to be found. It's our choice to sit back there (yes we have our reasons, nothing to see here, move along ) so we prepare by bringing our own food with us.

It will be nice to be able to order in advance when we know we're not getting MVPG upgrades.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
As others have said AS really should offer this in F. But then again outside transcons and possibly ANC flights, which AS F routes even offer a choice of meals? AS doesn't offer SPMLs of any kind. Pretty pathetic reading reports on here where the Y BOB/Northern Bites options are superior to F.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:55 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
the one time I did this on AA, they mustve ignored our pre selections and went ahead and asked us as if we never even pre selected....7 days before
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
As others have said AS really should offer this in F. But then again outside transcons and possibly ANC flights, which AS F routes even offer a choice of meals? AS doesn't offer SPMLs of any kind. Pretty pathetic reading reports on here where the Y BOB/Northern Bites options are superior to F.
At a minimum I think they should say what's on the F menu, even if you can't choose.

Originally Posted by ANC
the one time I did this on AA, they mustve ignored our pre selections and went ahead and asked us as if we never even pre selected....7 days before
My experience with AA has been all over the place, but always have gotten what I ordered. First time as they were passing through the cabin taking orders they just mentioned to me that I pre-ordered and moved onto the next person, which was nice. Second time they didn't say anything to me when taking orders, which I guess is alright but had me thinking they forgot about me. Third time they asked what I wanted, and I stated I pre-ordered and they said something like "oh, ok" and moved on. The rest have been similar to one of those. I have seen some issues with other passengers onboard, such as not having the pre-order info. Might just be their online system, I've noticed sometimes the order doesn't stick. Needed to wait a few hours or the next day for it to function properly.

AA isn't perfect, but at least I was able to see the menu beforehand and decide if I wanted to eat on the plane or not. I normally like whatever AS is serving in F, and coach food is a nice backup, but having the info before getting on would be really nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.