AS Elite Benefits with AA/US Merger

Old Dec 15, 14, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

AS Elite Benefits with AA/US Merger

I am MVP Gold 75K on Alaska, and am looking at booking a AA-ticketed, AA-coded, US-operated flight. Will I receive elite benefits (mainly checked bags) and will I be able to credit to Alaska?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 14, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC
Negative.

From: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

Flights operated by US Airways are not eligible for mileage accrual.

(emphasis added)
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by santina91 View Post
I am MVP Gold 75K on Alaska, and am looking at booking a AA-ticketed, AA-coded, US-operated flight. Will I receive elite benefits (mainly checked bags) and will I be able to credit to Alaska?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by brokenpipe View Post
Negative.

From: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

Flights operated by US Airways are not eligible for mileage accrual.

(emphasis added)

More than just not eligible for mileage but no AS elite benefits either.
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
By middle/end of Q2 it should be a moot point as the operating certificated will be combined and all flights should begin earning AS miles and receiving AS benefits... what I don't know is if there will be changes to the flight number ranges that earn miles, so some clarification on that from AS would be nice.
Old Dec 16, 14, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
By middle/end of Q2 it should be a moot point as the operating certificated will be combined and all flights should begin earning AS miles and receiving AS benefits... what I don't know is if there will be changes to the flight number ranges that earn miles, so some clarification on that from AS would be nice.
How firm is this timeframe?
Old Dec 16, 14, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
People I know involved in the transition have been told Spring '15, that's all I can really say.
Old Dec 16, 14, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
People I know involved in the transition have been told Spring '15, that's all I can really say.
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 14, 11:20 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Gold);
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan View Post
Yes, this would be helpful for those of us from markets where AS coverage is slim, and where the US / AA merger would open up more earning opportunities.
Old Dec 16, 14, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan View Post
Danger Will Robinson!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...5/timeline.jsp

For much of 2015, we'll operate as two separate airlines with two reservation systems and two websites.
That doesn't sound like a 2Q15 SOC to me...

I would not bet on US flights being able to credit to AS ever- so until the SOC exists and everyone is on the same reservation system/metal... don't bet on getting AS credit.
Old Dec 16, 14, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

How firm is this timeframe?
Although I don't think we would be able to get miles and benefits while US is still operating as US, Gary Leff noted that AA is internally aiming for March 2015 so he believe the integration will happen on the early side of Q2
Old Dec 16, 14, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The timeline for the US Dividend Miles program to be rolled into AA Advantage is 2Q15 but that doesn't solve the problem of the 'AA operated' criterion. That awaits the SOC.
Old Dec 16, 14, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The timeline for the US Dividend Miles program to be rolled into AA Advantage is 2Q15 but that doesn't solve the problem of the 'AA operated' criterion. That awaits the SOC.
Exactly. And if AA's own merger materials say "much of 2015", I would take that seriously...
Old Dec 16, 14, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Exactly. And if AA's own merger materials say "much of 2015", I would take that seriously...
That's what I thought- was surprised by the previous optimistic post. Let's say 2016 and be happy if its before?
Old Dec 16, 14, 4:02 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if the dates were pushed either, but I've been told as recently as November that SOC is on track for "Spring 2015".

I also agree that you'll never see "US Operated" flights credit to AS... but at the point of SOC, EVERYTHING will be AA operated. At that point, flight number ranges which will earn credit will still need to be clarified as there will be more in the system and it's possible the former-US flights might fall outside the current ranges that credit to AS, but that SHOULD be a glitch that's quickly rectified with an updated range of flight numbers that earn credit.
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
It's late 2015 for a single reservation system. My assumption that it's the single reservation system that is relevant for elite benefits and the like, not the single operating certificate. See AA's timeline:

Some benefits, like elite upgrades, will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems at the end of 2015
(I'm actually surprised to hear that a single operating certificate is on track to happen before a single reservation system; I didn't know that was possible.)

Search this Thread