Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Alaska Beyond Experiences/Thoughts (Free thru Jan 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wheresdg
Free period Extended to end of March

For those who have experienced Alaska Beyond successfully, please post your tail #:
  • NXXXAS

N407AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/10/15
N440AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/11/15
N453AS ("Go Russell") - Successful as of 01/06/15
N469AS - Alaska Beyond as of 12/23/14
N517AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/28/15
N522AS - Nope, as of 1/24/15
N526AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/23/15
N534AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/9/15
N565AS - Alaska Beyond as of 12/16/14
N581AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/15/15
N588AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/13/15
N590AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/15/15
N563AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/18/15

New handheld entertainment players began rolling out on 2/1/15. They have some pre-loaded content but also can access the streaming service.

If you prefer to use your own tablet or phone, here are the current supported devices and operating systems:

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Alaska Beyond Experiences/Thoughts (Free thru Jan 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Originally Posted by ScoobyScott
On my SEA - PDX leg they offered a complimetery drink, beside water and juice we had a choice of a local beer. Not sure if it was seasonal. I was pretty tired and was not paying attention. That leg was so short they had to rush to serve drinks in time to prepare to land.
The Horizon/Skywest flights have a rotating selection of microbrews poured from the big bottles. Now if only that could start on mainline flights.
I'd be happy if AS brought back Glenlivet.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
^ Or ANY single malt.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by CDKing
The Horizon/Skywest flights have a rotating selection of microbrews poured from the big bottles. Now if only that could start on mainline flights.
As a frequent YYC-SEA flyer on QX*, I really appreciate this service. In addition to the microbrews, they often have wines from the pacific northwest which I find a bit more hit and miss than the microbrews. FWIW, I wonder what the refill etiquette is on the microbrews, as its my practice to keep asking until the eyebrows are raised....

* right code?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
^ Or ANY single malt.
macallan would work?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

macallan would work?
Or Oban, Lagavulin, even Trader Joe's new 12-year Speyside. I'm flexible.

It wouldn't just be Beyond. It would be Above & Beyond.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
PDB? Yeah, right.....

ANC-SEA-MSY-DFW-SEA-ANC Thursday night through Monday (long weekend in MSY) all in F. Not once was PDB offered. I got tired of requesting them after landing at MSY and did not even bother on the three flights to get home.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by banffflyr
FWIW, I wonder what the refill etiquette is on the microbrews, as its my practice to keep asking until the eyebrows are raised....
You have the correct etiquette down to a "T".
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Just got off a Hawaii flight with Beyond. I had loaded the app onto my ipad last night (thanks, fellow forum-ites) so I was good to go. I started two movies before takeoff just in case the 'bug' was still buggy. Hubby watched them and it worked great.

Before takeoff, the FA's announced the service but said 'this is the first day and we have no idea how to use it'. I told them how it worked and they passed the info on to other pax who seemed to have varying problems loading content once we were up in the air. I took a walk back at one point and I saw a lot of spinning circles on tablets as the film would freeze and have to reload. I thought the selection was lacking - about the same content as the Dig-E-Players, which were still on offer as well.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 am

alaskaair.com/digeplayer directs to this now.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by banffflyr
As a frequent YYC-SEA flyer on QX*, I really appreciate this service. In addition to the microbrews, they often have wines from the pacific northwest which I find a bit more hit and miss than the microbrews. FWIW, I wonder what the refill etiquette is on the microbrews, as its my practice to keep asking until the eyebrows are raised....

* right code?
They have to toss it anyways so they are happy to refill. Not sure how many bottles they open on a flight. I head in the back is the best place to sit for a refill.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Just got off a Hawaii flight with Beyond. I had loaded the app onto my ipad last night (thanks, fellow forum-ites) so I was good to go. I started two movies before takeoff just in case the 'bug' was still buggy. Hubby watched them and it worked great.

Before takeoff, the FA's announced the service but said 'this is the first day and we have no idea how to use it'. I told them how it worked and they passed the info on to other pax who seemed to have varying problems loading content once we were up in the air. I took a walk back at one point and I saw a lot of spinning circles on tablets as the film would freeze and have to reload. I thought the selection was lacking - about the same content as the Dig-E-Players, which were still on offer as well.
So it streamed to your iPad enroute to Hawaii? The information from the website notes it doesn't work on Apple devices going to or from Hawaii. Glad to hear this was not your experience.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface

This is basically the same issue they are having with the new streaming entertainment on UA....spinning circles and freezing videos...even though it's an onboard server, it will still slow down when too many people are logged on. This may improve when it isn't free anymore, but there is still some free Alaska Airlines content that people may be trying to access so the end of the free tv/movie promotion may not fix the spinning window problem.

As a side note, it may have been helpful to provide at least minimal training to the FAs who will be responsible for fielding passenger questions about this new streaming service which seems to be one of the cornerstones of the "Alaska Beyond" promotion....starting the first day off by saying "we have no idea how to use it" is probably not the best way to introduce a product that you're trying to promote and generate excitement (ie, revenue) about.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
So it streamed to your iPad enroute to Hawaii? The information from the website notes it doesn't work on Apple devices going to or from Hawaii. Glad to hear this was not your experience.
Go to the Apple store and download the Gogo player before you leave
as you can't do it in the air.
As of today 55 aircraft have this loaded
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by prmetime
It does work to Apple devices - you just can't download the GoGo player once you are in the air as there is no internet on the Hawaii flights. I had downloaded the player to my Ipad the night before. Just go to the App store and search GoGo player and download it before you go. I had no problems with content freezing but a lot of others did. I think it may have been because I started both films before takeoff and just resumed once in the air.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Delta provides free content in both F and EconomyComfort as already mentioned upthread.

Disappointing that AS doesn't seem to be offering this benefit, but hopefully with some feedback this might change. @:-)

The technology certainly exists - on DL you verify your seat number and name and the it opens up full range of content for free.

Combined with the enhancements to Y food that don't seem to be making it up to F, it really seems that the F product is getting a bit lost in the mix here at AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.