Hey, AS, where are the F saver awards?

Old Dec 11, 14, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hey, AS, where are the F saver awards?

I've done some searching as far out as next Oct. and found very few F saver awards between ANC and SEA. Lots of 60K seats but maybe one flight a day if that for a 25K one way F award. That's just plain ridiculous! Some of the most loyal are regulars on this route and deserve the chance at a "cheap" award seat! What, short of defecting to DL, can we do?
Old Dec 11, 14, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kileysmom View Post
I've done some searching as far out as next Oct. and found very few F saver awards between ANC and SEA. Lots of 60K seats but maybe one flight a day if that for a 25K one way F award. That's just plain ridiculous! Some of the most loyal are regulars on this route and deserve the chance at a "cheap" award seat! What, short of defecting to DL, can we do?
I get your point, but if I'm AS, why offer the cheap seats on a premium trunk route?
Old Dec 11, 14, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Use miles on DL?
Old Dec 11, 14, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Use miles on DL?
DL's F is better anyway on that route.
Old Dec 11, 14, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
ANC-SEA is the last route I would expect very much saver F space....well, maybe SEA-EWR is worse. With that said, I frequently see saver first available on routes like PDX-LAX and SEA-MCI...If I fly to Alaska, I always use miles because the cpm is way too high to make a good mileage run/vacation (from PDX/SEA, not LAX or BOS) and the upgrades are unlikely to clear so you might as well sit in Y with miles since that's where you will be anyway
Old Dec 12, 14, 4:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Club 49, Dollar, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, GHA, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kileysmom View Post
What, short of defecting to DL, can we do?
Save your miles and throw down cash
Old Dec 12, 14, 7:32 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
I get your point, but if I'm AS, why offer the cheap seats on a premium trunk route?
That and wait and look again in 3 or 4 months. Like U space, saver F award space doesnt always open up right when flights are loaded. You could also always roll the dice now and book the flight you prefer in Y and sign up for expert flyer alerts, Im guessing at some point more saver will open up especially since October isnt exactly a peak time. Id just book the award on the DL flights which seem to pretty much have saver space on almost all their flights. You arent really abandoning AS since by you booking on their metal for an award you arent giving any revenue anyhow nor are you accruing miles. So Id just book a DL flight. Looks like they fly at around 10am 7pm and 830pm and like I said saver F is open on most of them. You are probably helping AS and saving them a few bucks by taking a DL flight

Last edited by ANC; Dec 12, 14 at 7:40 am
Old Dec 12, 14, 7:33 am
ANC

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

Use miles on DL?
yeah its funny AS still gives you that option
Old Dec 12, 14, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS gold
In fact, AS does not add in many F saver seats between ANC and SEA. They typically make only one seat available in the first 24-36 hours that a new day is loaded into the system, but if you do not claim one of these seats immediately, they disappear. My guess is that AS might add as many as 20 seats to the inventory you see on their website in any given week as the year goes by: when they do add seats, they tend to be on the late evening flights out of Anchorage, and on the 6am flight out of Seattle. These flights do not lend themselves to connections in Seattle and are practically useless in making convenient connections to J and F award seats on AS' fabulous list of partner carriers.

I know that when you hold international space, you can confirm in Y saver and waitlist for F saver, and from time to time you clear into F. My impression is not that a seat has just opened up by chance on that flight, but rather that AS "monitors" the waitlist and may clear passengers into F based on elite status. In other words, they "know you are there"

Not sure about waitlisting on AS ANC-SEA flights that do not have international connections.

Is this possible as well?

Last edited by macfadsj; Dec 12, 14 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 12, 14, 3:43 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by macfadsj View Post

I know that when you hold international space, you can confirm in Y saver and waitlist for F saver, and from time to time you clear into F. My impression is not that a seat has just opened up by chance on that flight, but rather that AS "monitors" the waitlist and may clear passengers into F based on elite status. In other words, they "know you are there"
huh?

Maybe Im confused but Ive never heard of this for international partner flights. Are you talking about the AS metal segments? Ive never heard of that either but at least that part would make sense
Old Dec 12, 14, 3:46 pm
ANC

Maybe the fact that DL has so much wide open saver space is a hint to what their load factors are
Old Dec 12, 14, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS gold
When you live in Alaska, and use AS miles to book space on one of their partners like CX out of SFO to HKG, or KLM out of LAX to AMS, AS includes as part of the award the connecting space in F from ANC through Seattle to SFO or LAX. If F saver space is not available, one must accept Y saver.

When you plan ahead, it is easy to get J or F space on these numerous partners
but virtually impossible to find F saver space between ANC and SEA to connect to and from the international gateway on or near the same day.
Old Dec 12, 14, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ANC View Post
Maybe the fact that DL has so much wide open saver space is a hint to what their load factors are
Anecdotal evidence, but I've flown DL several times either direction on that route since July and it's been packed every time. Somebody posted on the blue cat people aviation website that DL's loads on ANC-SEA were in the mid 80's on average.

Frankly, just about anyone can pick up traffic on ANC-SEA. See: Blue, jet
Old Dec 13, 14, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
DL also have 'saver' fares in F that start in the range of $350 one way to SEA. AS seem to think that's some foreign language! I may start going DL between ANC and SEA.
Old Dec 13, 14, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
huh?

Maybe Im confused but Ive never heard of this for international partner flights. Are you talking about the AS metal segments? Ive never heard of that either but at least that part would make sense
You can wait list for F award seat on AS metal if you are on a F award but booked in Y. It can be on a domestic award too. Problem is space likely won't open up and unsold seats will only be released in U first and upgraders will swoop them all up. Well that's what always happens to me.

Search this Thread