Bay area storm Dec 10-12

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 12, 14, 4:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jona970318
Wiki Link
Travel advisory on AS:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx

High winds along the West Coast

May impact travel through Friday, December 12. Customers traveling to the Bay Area, should note some flights may operate out of alternative airports. Please check flight status at alaskaair.com before heading to the airport.

What to Do

As always, we advise you to check your flight status before departure. If your flight has been affected, you may rebook your flight, apply for a refund or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (if calling from within Mexico, call 001-800-252-7522).

Sign up for Trip Alerts or Flight Status Alerts and we'll notify you of any last minute delays, cancellations, or gate changes on your flights by email or text message.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 14, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Bay area storm Dec 10-12

I fly from SEA to SJC 12:10, landing 2:14 on Thursday. Am I likely to get delayed from this storm or will we be able to land on time? I have to be at SAP Center for hockey game at 7:30.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 14, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Be glad you are heading to SJC, not SFO.

You'll probably get in in time to get to your event, but who knows? It is supposed to be a pretty good storm. If you could head out earlier, it might be worth it.
Old Dec 10, 14, 1:13 am

SFO is gonna get hosed tomorrow...and of course im flying in tomorrow night
Old Dec 10, 14, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Depending on what happens, keep an eye on this page:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx

Nothing yet for this storm system.
Old Dec 10, 14, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Be glad you are heading to SJC, not SFO.

You'll probably get in in time to get to your event, but who knows? It is supposed to be a pretty good storm. If you could head out earlier, it might be worth it.

Agreed. IME you're MUCH more likely to get where you're going with a storm like this flying into SJC than SFO. Obviously planes can fly in rain but it obviously depends on visibility/ceilings, wind (supposed to be very high) and lightning (which is pretty rare on the Bay Area).

I've landed on time in SJC during heavy storms and have only been weather delayed when the ceilings were very low.
Old Dec 10, 14, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
It's gonna be bad. We live at 3000' elev between SMF and RNO and they are calling for 4-7" rain and 60+ mph gusts.
Old Dec 10, 14, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SJC could be hit with gusts in the 30 to 50 MPH range. SFO will he hosed. OAK and SJC will depend on wind issues as well as where the planes were earlier in the day.
Old Dec 10, 14, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
It's gonna be bad. We live at 3000' elev between SMF and RNO and they are calling for 4-7" rain and 60+ mph gusts.
I drove to SMF this morning and there are signs all over I-80 -- Plan travel accordingly, storms Weds PM - Friday.

It seems as though everything is fine now. It looks as though we'll be getting hit late tonight/early tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 10, 14, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Thanks everyone. Hopefully there won't be low ceiling in San Jose. It seems like from what I've read that the North Bay will be hit harder.
Old Dec 10, 14, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
flying on the 7:25am from PDX to SFO tomorrow... am I screwed?

odd I do not see any advisory on sfo's website either.
Old Dec 10, 14, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXchris View Post
flying on the 7:25am from PDX to SFO tomorrow... am I screwed?

odd I do not see any advisory on sfo's website either.
conditions are expected to worsen throughout the day, so the earlier, the better. i'm optimistic you will get to SFO, but it might be later than scheduled. if you are on a sufficiently high fare to make changes, and have some flexibility, flying to SJC might be a little bit less impacted due to less air traffic and being a little bit further from the coast.

Originally Posted by berliner5000 View Post
I drove to SMF this morning and there are signs all over I-80 -- Plan travel accordingly, storms Weds PM - Friday.

It seems as though everything is fine now. It looks as though we'll be getting hit late tonight/early tomorrow morning.
i work down in the valley and i'm staying home tomorrow. going into the Sierras will be a non-starter. hopefully, there will not be widespread power outages.
Old Dec 10, 14, 9:27 pm

3 1/2 hr delay on my flight! pdx to sfo tonight...thank god i switched it...dear jesus that sucks for that flight. Getting in a 1215 is never good
Old Dec 10, 14, 10:53 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.11.19
Fingers crossed for my 9a OAK-HNL flight. Everyone in San Francisco really seems to be freaking out about this storm.
Old Dec 10, 14, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
I flew PDX/SEA/LAS yesterday and back today to PDX on the 10:40am nonstop flight. Going down there was cabin service for 25% of the flight and today the FAs were seated the entire route and it was moderate turbulence the entire way. On a side note, too bad AS killed all the PDX/LAS flights from mid morning through 5pm, hate having to go through SEA if not needed.
Old Dec 11, 14, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently from Flightaware (7am PST Thursday):
San Francisco Intl (KSFO) is currently experiencing inbound flights delayed at their origin an average of 3 hours 40 minutes due to low clouds.

Search this Thread