E+ coming to AS?

Old Dec 4, 14, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

E+ coming to AS?

Thought this might be pretty big news, but I haven't seen a discussion yet.

https://twitter.com/veresh/status/540568170453811200

-----

My comments are my own, not my employer's.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I somewhat speculated that in the Embraer 175 thread, as they seemingly have the exact same configuration as UA and AA with E+ sections.

If true, this is great news! ^ Interesting regarding the free drink, that's what DL does on their premium transcontinental routes isn't it?
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cant see twitter from work but if they were going to add an extra legroom product they would have done it when they put in the new seats? Seems like an odd way to do it. Not that I'm against adding to the limited 3 rows with extra legroom
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I cant see twitter from work but if they were going to add an extra legroom product they would have done it when they put in the new seats? Seems like an odd way to do it. Not that I'm against adding to the limited 3 rows with extra legroom
I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to make the modification, remove a row and adjust a couple of rows of existing seats. That's my own speculation though, not sure how it actually works.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:14 pm

So now economy on reconfigured aircraft will have more legroom than first class? I mean, the bulkheads (row 6), and the exit rows already have more legroom, but this will make me want to decline an upgrade all the time!
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've noticed a change to some AS seat maps- not sure if it corresponds or not, but row 18 is now elite seating too on some configurations (16/17 exit rows).
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
So now economy on reconfigured aircraft will have more legroom than first class? I mean, the bulkheads (row 6), and the exit rows already have more legroom, but this will make me want to decline an upgrade all the time!
More upgrades for me then
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
30 inch pitch in the rest of the plane? Ouch.

(There is NO chance AS is going to pull seats from the plane for an E+ product. It's going to be "you peons will have your knees next to your ears AND YOU WILL LIKE IT".)

I, for one, like planes where most of the cabin is at a decent pitch, instead of "sucks to be you when your upgrade doesn't clear and you end up in 30E with your knees crunched because of various reasons".
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally pulled it up on Twitter. Good thing I recognize the guys face otherwise id have no idea its an AS exec by name.

Originally Posted by United757 View Post
I know how you feel. well not about F but I picked a regular seat over exit row because I don't like the exit row seat cushion and row 6 has the fixed armrests. Gives more options. With the new Y seats they could probably afford to lose 1/2 in and no one would notice the difference.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I guess I will have to withhold judgement until more information is available.

It would have made a lot of sense to add an economy plus section at the same time as reconfiguring the 738 and 739s with new seats and power. While I'm sure it could be done, it certainly seems very inefficient to go back and remove a row of seats a few months after adding a row of seats. So, I would be surprised if this is the route they are taking.

My concern would be if they just preserve the "NEW" configuration and then designate the exit rows and bulkhead as premium seating. OR, worse, if they decide to expand legroom in a few rows at the expense of legroom in the remaining rows (which is basically what Delta has done on their newer 737 NGs).

Personally, I would rather have 31-32" pitch in most of economy, which Alaska currently has, rather than less legroom in most of the cabin and just a few rows with more legroom.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I Hope they stay free at least for gold

Today is Investor Day in NYC. A ton tweets from Veresh (CIO)

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 4, 14 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:46 pm

From the investor day webcast. Presentation is also downloadable from AS website. AS is going to charge for row 6, 16 and 17 based on stage length. Up to 1,250 miles +$15, 1251-2000 miles +$30, and greater than 2000 miles +$50. Comes with a free drink and priority boarding. Also Alaska branded tablets replacing digEplayers
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
From the investor day webcast. Presentation is also downloadable from AS website. AS is going to charge for row 6, 16 and 17 based on stage length. Up to 1,250 miles +$15, 1251-2000 miles +$30, and greater than 2000 miles +$50. Comes with a free drink and priority boarding. Also Alaska branded tablets replacing digEplayers
I sure hope they stay free at least for gold. This could be a big downgrade
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:02 pm

Yeah, this went from exciting to ruh roh for me Even if it remains free for elites, I'd assume anyone could now choose those seats at anytime meaning it might be harder to get them.
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
It would kind of suck if MVPs can't select exit row/6 for free.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....&p=irol-irhome

Search this Thread
Search Engine: