Search

Why are 2 OW more expensive than a RT?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Why are 2 OW more expensive than a RT?

I have a dilemma.

I want to book a RT from SEA to PVR using a BofA cert. and purchase upgradable fares.

I was hoping to grab the outbound close to 330 days out to insure 2 mileage upgrade seats...then book the return when it opens a week or so later.

The AS CSR I spoke to said no problem they will just add the return as a OW and I can use the same BofA cert.

The dilemma is from all my phantom booking comparisons it is about $125 more to do two OW than it is to book it as a RT. The CSR says that shouldn't be...but it is.

Why is more? Are taxes being added twice?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Change fee? I'm a bit confused.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Change fee? I'm a bit confused.
No..it's not a change fee.

As I am booking this reservation online, I am trying it two different ways:

1. 2 OW tickets making the roundtrip.
or
2. a roundtrip ticket.

The CSR says it should price out the same. It does not. The 2 OW tickets = about $125 more than the RT fare.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:01 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Because on separate tickets, different taxes apply, (particularly tickets that originate in other countries) and you're being charged for some of them twice, when they would only apply once on a RT.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Because on separate tickets, different taxes apply, (particularly tickets that originate in other countries) and you're being charged for some of them twice, when they would only apply once on a RT.
Thanks for the clarification ^
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Thanks for clarifying that.

Do you know if once the return flight could be booked ( a week after booking the outbound) CS could turn the outbound OW into a RT to save on the doubling of the taxes?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:29 pm

What dates and markets are you trying to price?

I tried to replicate your issue on Alaska's website but the only difference I see is a $10 Mexican VAT tax applying when booked as separate OWs SEA-PVR. The main Mexican taxes are a tourism tax on arrival and a departure tax on departure. Those shouldn't be doubled when booked as separate OWs.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whlinder
What dates and markets are you trying to price?

I tried to replicate your issue on Alaska's website but the only difference I see is a $10 Mexican VAT tax applying when booked as separate OWs SEA-PVR. The main Mexican taxes are a tourism tax on arrival and a departure tax on departure. Those shouldn't be doubled when booked as separate OWs.
Stupid me.....I think I figured it out as I was writing down my method in a post.

I think the $99 BofA cert fee is being counted twice when I input two one way tickets... only once when I do a RT. Hence the $100+ difference.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:57 pm

When you consider a one way booking, the full $99 companion fee is applied in the results, making the one way fees appear larger. For a RT, the companion fee is divided in half between each direction. You have to look at the breakdown to see it.

Ah you beat me to it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.