Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Impact of AS route cancellations on awards.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)

So AS is reducing their 3 times daily flight from LAX to YVR to just one frequency. I am booked on an Alaska award from JNB-HKG-LAX-YVR where my CX flight arrives at 9:40am in LAX and my onward ticket on AS was booked for their 2:35pm departure to YVR. Now they've cancelled the morning and afternoon departures and my award was changed to the 8:25pm AS departure. Now I don't mind a layover any more than the next guy, but 11 hours in LAX after two long-haul flights might be a bit much.
I know the policy is that you cannot combine more than one partner on an award, but do you think they will make an exception and allow me to take a Delta or AA flight earlier in the day since they cancelled the flight? Thus combining CX and DL/AA. I haven't looked for award space on the route yet on DL or AA so this might be a moot point, I'm just trying to get my options here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:58 pm

They will not combine AA or DL. Route LAX-SEA-YVR on AS and get home earlier than you were originally scheduled.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Is there a HKG-YVR they can re-route you on?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SOLTATIO
I'm just trying to get my options here.
In order of likelihood of AS being to pull it off:

JNB-HKG-LAX-SEA-YVR on CX/AS/QX
JNB-HKG-LAX-PDX-YVR on CX/AS/QX
JNB-HKG-YVR on CX
JNB-HKG-SFO-SEA-YVR on CX/AS/QX
JNB-HKG-SFO-SEA-YVR on CX/AS/QX

Those are your options. Getting multiple partners on an award... not an option.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
Since it is an award there needs to be space and award space on the HKG-YVR route is rare even in the off season but beginning January there is nothing. I've seen 2 seats open up on days that didn't fit my schedule and they were gone within the hour.
I'll keep monitoring but I'm guessing via SEA or PDX will be best.
Thatnks for the input all.

Originally Posted by u2g0d
Is there a HKG-YVR they can re-route you on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.