FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   What About Oakland? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1628968-what-about-oakland.html)

bofc Nov 15, 2014 6:18 pm

What About Oakland?

Does anyone have insights (or opinions) about the future of AS in Oakland? I really miss the 737 service to Portland (and Orange County). The Hawaii service seems to be very successful and the OAK - SEA 737 flights are almost always full. With service ending in Long Beach and Ontario, should I be nervous?

beckoa Nov 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Hope not- just booked a SEA-OAK-OGG flight...has an overnight in OAK- any good options? thx ;)

IsleOfMan Nov 16, 2014 9:02 am

Hilton OAK is pretty dumpy by full-service Hilton standards, but I don't think there's much better in the area to be honest. I'd probably go with the Hampton or Courtyard if they're cheaper, but don't set your expectations too high.

radtechtraveler Nov 16, 2014 9:43 am

last month we stayed at the holiday inn, it was decent enough for an overnight and the shuttles were on time

tusphotog Nov 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23848412)

Hope not- just booked a SEA-OAK-OGG flight...has an overnight in OAK- any good options? thx ;)

There's a nice HGI in San Leandro--about a 15 minute ride from the airport. I think they have a shuttle to OAK. It gets you away from the awful Hilton and other airport properties and the very...unsavory...neighborhood that borders OAK.

Plus there's an In n Out about a three minute walk away.

dave1013 Nov 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Stayed at HI OAK Airport for a night. It was fine although not in the best part of town. Their shuttle will take you to and from nearby restaurants.

Tony10s Nov 17, 2014 2:35 am

What About Oakland?

Holiday Inn next to Hilton is pretty new ( within) 5 years old
Courtyard Oak is decent
Holiday Inn Express is within 10 years new
The Red Lion is OK for an overnighter

I'd rate Em this way
1. Holiday inn
2. Hi Ex
3. Hilton
4. Courtyard
5. Red Lion

apodo77 Nov 17, 2014 6:22 am

The Holiday Inn (as someone posted it is the newest hotel in the area) is a perfectly fine property for an overnight stay near OAK.
I would steer clear of any others.

Also if you stay there walk across the street and grab dinner at Francesco's. Old school Italian and the ambiance is great. Eaten there 50+ times over the past 10 years and never disappointed. If you are in the bar Dino the bartender is a great guy to chat with.

http://www.francescosrestaurant.com/

apodo77 Nov 17, 2014 6:24 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 23849836)
Hilton OAK is pretty dumpy by full-service Hilton standards, but I don't think there's much better in the area to be honest. I'd probably go with the Hampton or Courtyard if they're cheaper, but don't set your expectations too high.

Holiday Inn is better than all of those (stayed at each at least once the past 5 years).

http://www.hioaklandairport.com/

PV_Premier Nov 18, 2014 9:29 am

Originally Posted by bofc (Post 23847822)
Does anyone have insights (or opinions) about the future of AS in Oakland? I really miss the 737 service to Portland (and Orange County). The Hawaii service seems to be very successful and the OAK - SEA 737 flights are almost always full. With service ending in Long Beach and Ontario, should I be nervous?

i'm not all that nervous about OAK. i see it much the same as SMF which has a very good base of loyal flyers, and many of the flights are full.

the biggest issues that i see are 1) the timing of flights for connections in SEA and PDX and 2) O/D fare depression by competition from WN. as i have griped before, AS could really benefit by improving their timing for connecting flights headed eastbound from SEA/PDX. most of the connections i'm offered right now require either a) overnights at SEA/PDX or b) 2 1/2+ hour layovers at the same. i'd fly AS metal way more often if they could reorganize asset utilization to make connections easier going eastbound or southeastbound.

SF1K Nov 19, 2014 6:39 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 23860107)
i'm not all that nervous about OAK. i see it much the same as SMF which has a very good base of loyal flyers, and many of the flights are full.

the biggest issues that i see are 1) the timing of flights for connections in SEA and PDX and 2) O/D fare depression by competition from WN. as i have griped before, AS could really benefit by improving their timing for connecting flights headed eastbound from SEA/PDX. most of the connections i'm offered right now require either a) overnights at SEA/PDX or b) 2 1/2+ hour layovers at the same. i'd fly AS metal way more often if they could reorganize asset utilization to make connections easier going eastbound or southeastbound.

I agree. I so wish AS built OAK a bit more with timing not just for leisure. They should have flights to Hawaii that leave I'm the late afternoon. Why not do 1 morning from one airport and an afternoon from another (SJC/OAK). I would be doing more weekend trips to HNL if I could get on a Friday afternoon flight. Also wish they had some OAK to So Cal flights!!!

Eastbay1K Nov 19, 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 23864806)
I agree. I so wish AS built OAK a bit more with timing not just for leisure. They should have flights to Hawaii that leave I'm the late afternoon. Why not do 1 morning from one airport and an afternoon from another (SJC/OAK). I would be doing more weekend trips to HNL if I could get on a Friday afternoon flight. Also wish they had some OAK to So Cal flights!!!

While all that would be nice, and things I'd use, they aren't going to happen anytime soon. Hawaii frequencies were already reduced this year, and the last OAK So Cal flight (OAK/SNA) disappeared a few years back. The last SJC So Cal flight(s)? also went away this year.

formeraa Nov 19, 2014 10:17 am

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 23864806)

For Hawaii flights, you have to look at what travelers want and aircraft utilization. A late afternoon departure to HNL would most likely mean a redeye coming back to ensure maximum aircraft utilization. Would that work for you?