What happens to a COS' extra seat when upgraded

Old Nov 14, 14, 4:20 am
Original Poster

What happens to a COS' extra seat when upgraded

I am MVP and flying BLI-OGG in January and although I'm a big guy at 6' 290lb, I still fit reasonably well into a regular economy seat and can do up the seatbelt without an extension etc. So I've never purchased an extra seat. However this time I will have my 23 month old with me as a lap infant. It just really won't be manageable for the two of us in one economy seat, so I'm thinking of buying her a seat.

However it seems more advantageous to purchase a second seat for me, so that it can be refunded if the flight is not full.

My question is if I buy the second seat, how does that affect the upgrade process. Can I still be upgraded? If yes, am I immediately refunded the second seat? Is the second seat automatically forfeited? Will AS upgrade both seats if space is available?
Old Nov 15, 14, 12:01 am
AAL

Programs: AS MVPG
I don't know about the second seat if you get upgraded. But I can't imagine a long flight with a 2 year old on my lap, in coach or first class. My recommendation: get an AS Visa card and use your companion certificate to buy a seat for your daughter for $99 plus tax. You'll both be happier.

I do know that it's usually not possible for two MVPs on one reservation to get upgraded.
Old Nov 15, 14, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I have in fact used an AS companion code for this booking as my wife is joining me. Otherwise would be a great option.

My daughter does travel "like a boss" though, and just a few months ago we did yvr-sea-hkg-hkt-hkg-sea over 12 days and she did great, so I know she can handle it without causing too much trouble. Just looking to make my life a bit easier.
Old Nov 15, 14, 7:05 am
AAL

Since you already have two people on your reservation, my understanding is that you won't get upgraded as an MVP (unless your wife is MVPG). That simplifies the situation.

With the possibly of an upgrade no longer a consideration, your dilemma is whether to purchase another coach seat for your daughter, or for yourself as a COS.
Old Nov 15, 14, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
My husband and I were both MVPs for three years and had no issues in getting upgrades when both of us were flying.
Old Nov 15, 14, 11:13 am
AAL

Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
My husband and I were both MVPs for three years and had no issues in getting upgrades when both of us were flying.
On the same reservation?

I am very curious about this because I frequently use companion certificates and doubt that I will make MVPG again for next year, but all my companions are MVPs.

Last edited by AAL; Nov 15, 14 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 16, 14, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
On the same reservation?

I am very curious about this because I frequently use companion certificates and doubt that I will make MVPG again for next year, but all my companions are MVPs.
Yes, on the same reservation.
Old Nov 20, 14, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAL View Post
Since you already have two people on your reservation, my understanding is that you won't get upgraded as an MVP (unless your wife is MVPG). That simplifies the situation.

With the possibly of an upgrade no longer a consideration, your dilemma is whether to purchase another coach seat for your daughter, or for yourself as a COS.
Wife has no status, so I guess no upgrade is possible? Disappointing but you are right it makes the decision easier.

Search this Thread