Bulkhead-only bins

Old Nov 3, 14, 5:35 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Bulkhead-only bins

New one for me today. Am on one of the newer planes and the bins above row one have stickers saying they are for bulkhead passengers only. Imagine my surprise to find the one over my seat closed and full before anyone was in 1D/F.

Whose bags were they? Flight attendant. When I asked to move some? No real desire to do so, and only one of two was removed.

Sigh.

Neil
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Another reason to avoid them.
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:19 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
First off the plane is awfully compelling...

Neil
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:57 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well to their defense it might be a habit. Most of the forward bins on AS A/C say "flight crew only". And typically I see FAs going out of their way to accomodate baggage in F and routinely move their stuff to accomodate oversized luggage that shouldve been checked in or oblong crap that should have been checked in, but the FAs rearrange their stuff so that they can put peoples oversized junk and crap in their closets
Old Nov 3, 14, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
First off the plane is awfully compelling...

Neil
Which makes it difficult if your carryon is a couple of rows behind you.
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:57 pm

Programs: WN ALP/CP, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
yup, i've had many a flight seated in row 1 where i am first on the plane and and the overhead is full on both sides for row 1. It also doesn't help that flight attendants don't follow the carry on rules at all (most have 2 bags + purse, and I've seen a few with 3 full bags + purse) >:/
Old Nov 4, 14, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
yup, i've had many a flight seated in row 1 where i am first on the plane and and the overhead is full on both sides for row 1. It also doesn't help that flight attendants don't follow the carry on rules at all (most have 2 bags + purse, and I've seen a few with 3 full bags + purse) >:/
Flight crew don't have "carry on rules". The 3 full bags you mention could comprise their suitcase, their tote and a lunch bag. Not unreasonable when you're traveling for three to five days on one trip that could have layovers in Hawaii and the east coast or Fairbanks. All that said, I rarely ever see Flight Attendants taking up both sides of the overhead bins at row 1. Most Flight Attendants I know are very conscious of those in row 1 needing that space and do all they can to accommodate their bags.
Old Nov 4, 14, 8:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
I really like the small signs on the row 1 bins reserving them for row 1 that I now see. However, on one of our DTW turns, Seats 1D,F both ways, when we boarded in SEA there was a piece of blue tape across the handle of our bin. i figured "bummer, it must be broken" and put our backpacks in the next bin back. But when we boarded the return flight 30 minutes after landing, same plane, different crew, the blue tape was gone and the bin was open, empty and available.

Hmmmmmm........

Last edited by slopeboy40; Nov 4, 14 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 4, 14, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by slopeboy40 View Post
I really like the small signss on the row 1 bins reserving them for row 1 that I now see. However, on one of our DTW turns, Seats 1D,F both ways, when we boarded in SEA there was a piece of blue tape across the handle of our bin. i figured "bummer, it must be broken" and put our backpacks in the next bin back. But when we boarded the return flight 30 minutes after landing, same plane, different crew, the blue tape was gone and the bin was open, empty and available.

Hmmmmmm........
I saw the same type of thing on a recent flight. Looks like those bins were commandeered by the flight crew. I just wish they'd do it at the back of the aircraft instead of the front. There's enough problem with F storage with the guys who try to stow their gear in F bins when seated in the back of the plane.

Having dedicated bins is a great idea though and glad to see the effort to make accommodation for row 1.
Old Nov 4, 14, 12:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Sagemo View Post
I saw the same type of thing on a recent flight. Looks like those bins were commandeered by the flight crew. I just wish they'd do it at the back of the aircraft instead of the front.
Blame AS for the lack of closet space. The FAs need to have their brain bag and manuals "readily accessible" at all times during the flight. Unfortunately, that means they need to be near their jump seats. They used to store bags in the closet but with the new seats the closets are so small they're useless, so into the bins they go.

The same thing happens on WN with the bulkhead rows. Some FAs commandeer the bin over rows 1-2 which makes those seats unappealing since you have to swim upstream to fetch your bags after landing.

It seems that F is now down two bins on the 800s. One bin is for the raft and the other is for the crew. FWIW, I've seen plenty of crews use the bins around row 6. Some probably read the regs differently than others. Maybe our resident FAs can chime in?
Old Nov 4, 14, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Hopefully AS will get around to putting the manuals on Ipad

Search this Thread