Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No more advance seat assignment or upgrades on Delta "economy basic" fares??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I happened to notice the distinction between "economy" and "economy basic" fares on the DL website tonight and noticed that you won't be able to select a seat until check-in and after 2/1/15, complimentary upgrades won't be available (even for DL Medallion and Sky Team elite members and I'm assuming that includes AS elites). Yikes, with the loss of the free baggage, about all we had going for us on DL were the "preferred seats", a slim chance at an upgrade, and EQMs (which it looks like these too will be reduced on these fares).....I think DL is about ready to show AS (and even some of it's own elites) the door....one more reason I'm glad I switched from UA to AS instead of DL

Last edited by PDXPremier; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:52 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Another 'enhancement'
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
lots of angry discussion about this one on the DL forum. no upgrades for medallions is correct.

just watch out for fare code "E" like we already do for "O" on AA. this doesn't impact any fare codes other than "E", as far as i know.

in leisure markets (eg, LAS/MCO/etc) E fares are more common, i don't see too many of them on the routes i fly on DL routinely.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
E is found on routes that compete with the ULCC's like Spirit and Allegiant. They are easy to see on the DL site as its a separate fare column. Unlike shopping on AA where you have to be very vigilant to not book O
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
lots of angry discussion about this one on the DL forum. no upgrades for medallions is correct.

just watch out for fare code "E" like we already do for "O" on AA. this doesn't impact any fare codes other than "E", as far as i know.

in leisure markets (eg, LAS/MCO/etc) E fares are more common, i don't see too many of them on the routes i fly on DL routinely.
It seems to me that even if a DL Diamond books an E fare, they can't even get a seat assignment until check-in let alone an upgrade....yikes
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think DL is about ready to show AS (and even some of it's own elites) the door....one more reason I'm glad I switched from UA to AS instead of DL
I don't see how Delta E fares are indicative of any change in the DL/AS relationship.

As CDKing notes, E fares are clearly identified on the DL web site and their restrictions and limitations apply to DL and AS-origin flyers equally.

There are 13 DL coach fare buckets; UA has 15. If a DL elite doesn't want to buy up even a single bucket higher for a seat assignment, Economy Comfort seat, or chance for upgrade, that's pretty clear signaling that he's choosing on price - and E fares serve that segment well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It seems to me that even if a DL Diamond books an E fare, they can't even get a seat assignment until check-in let alone an upgrade....yikes
i won't be booking any E under either my DL or AS membership #. if they're offering E, presumably they'll also offer X and V, which isn't that big of a price difference typically (and certainly well worth it).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what all the angst is about. E fares are clearly marked in a separate column as "Basic Economy". They represent a savings over the next higher fares and may be useful for people who otherwise could not afford a trip.

E fares specifically represent poor value for business travelers. Because they cannot be changed or cancelled (not about fees or credits, simply non-changeable), it only takes losing one ticket's value to wipe out however many more in savings.

I have no intention of booking E fares and I hope that I never need to. But, they represent an alternative for some.

No reason to be critical of them because there is an easy way to avoid them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 75k
Agreed, much ado about nothing. E fares are pretty rare except, as CDKing mentions, when competing with ULCCs, or bundled with some Delta vacation packages. I don't think I've ever seen one since Delta realigned their fare classes last year.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Agreed, much ado about nothing. E fares are pretty rare except, as CDKing mentions, when competing with ULCCs, or bundled with some Delta vacation packages. I don't think I've ever seen one since Delta realigned their fare classes last year.
And if you do see one and choose to buy it, you've chosen to buy it with all of its restrictions.

These types of fares have been around Europe for years and there are those who like them and use them.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:45 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by CDKing
E is found on routes that compete with the ULCC's like Spirit and Allegiant. They are easy to see on the DL site as its a separate fare column. Unlike shopping on AA where you have to be very vigilant to not book O
Yes, this was announced some time ago. Agree with CDKing. This is really a non-issue. Those fares are only to compete with the LCC's. Think them as DL's strategy to steal some customers from the LCC's and ultra LCC's - they don't want those customers stealing your seat assignments The silver lining is that the E fares are 100% mileage earning on AS - so if there is an irresistibly cheap E fare, at least you'd earn miles on it.

As noted by others, I almost never see E fares on any of the markets I've flown DL on.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:39 am

For those required to buy "lowest economy", however, this could be a problem.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Yes, this was announced some time ago. Agree with CDKing. This is really a non-issue. Those fares are only to compete with the LCC's. Think them as DL's strategy to steal some customers from the LCC's and ultra LCC's - they don't want those customers stealing your seat assignments The silver lining is that the E fares are 100% mileage earning on AS - so if there is an irresistibly cheap E fare, at least you'd earn miles on it.

As noted by others, I almost never see E fares on any of the markets I've flown DL on.
I can almost guarantee you, it will not be when the new DL partner chart goes into effect for DL. Should be announced in a few weeks.

There is also a rumor that a major carrier is to introduce a section of 28" pitch seats to be sold at LCC pricing. Since DL is the first to offer a ULCC competing pricing package, I'm sure they are the one who will be adding those seats
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I can almost guarantee you, it will not be when the new DL partner chart goes into effect for DL. Should be announced in a few weeks.

There is also a rumor that a major carrier is to introduce a section of 28" pitch seats to be sold at LCC pricing. Since DL is the first to offer a ULCC competing pricing package, I'm sure they are the one who will be adding those seats
Could be.

I know a lot of carriers are going to a 4 cabin plane, but for other carriers it means Y, Y+, J and F. For delta I guess 4 cabins means Y-, Y, Y kinda +, and almost J.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
For those required to buy "lowest economy", however, this could be a problem.
Unless you're the rare business traveler who books far in advance, I doubt it. You won't see an E fare 10 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.