Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in car seat in original box

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Check in car seat in original box

I want to check in a Britax B-Safe infant car seat in the original box, will AS allow this? The box is huge, the dimension is 27.5 x 17.5 x 24.5 inches.

Alternatively, I can buy a cover but I've read that the car seat might not be safe after the rough handling from checking in.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Are you traveling with a child? If so, you can check it for free.

If not, I would expect to pay the $75 oversized bag fee.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Are you traveling with a child? If so, you can check it for free.
Hmm, if that really works then from now on I'm packing in car seat boxes!

But seriously, kids' car seats are tough. AS baggage handlers are very unlikely to harm them. I've checked ours "loose" many times and my kids are still kicking.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Every get off a plane in Orlando? People have trouble finding "their" car seat.

They put them in a big heavy plastic bag, no problems yet for our grandkids (but they usually have them sit in them on the plane because that's more comfortable for the smaller ones).
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:27 pm

Buy a bag

It's much easier than dealing with a box. Many have wheels and shoulder straps too.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm travelling with my 4 year old and 5 months lap infant. I'm gate-checking a stroller but I don't think I can handle another car seat with 2 little ones in tow, especially if I have to stuff the car seat into the bag. I read reviews of the car seat bags and it's really not easy to stuff an irregular shape item into an irregular shape bag.

Folks at the car seat forum seems to think that the car seats could be structurally damaged without external cracks because car seats are considered not usable after any accidents.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by snofy
I'm travelling with my 4 year old and 5 months lap infant. I'm gate-checking a stroller but I don't think I can handle another car seat with 2 little ones in tow, especially if I have to stuff the car seat into the bag. I read reviews of the car seat bags and it's really not easy to stuff an irregular shape item into an irregular shape bag.

Folks at the car seat forum seems to think that the car seats could be structurally damaged without external cracks because car seats are considered not usable after any accidents.
I've traveled with an infant + 2 year old + 5 year old and managed to bag them up (seats not kids ). If you try to bag them backwards it can be tough but if pay attention it's not bad. Take one kid out and have him sit in the car while you bag #1. Repeat. When seats are bagged then kids can get out. If you're lucky you'll find a cart nearby. Otherwise one bag on the back and one dragging on wheels.

I suppose a car seat could get damaged, but I think people get carried away about it. Having a properly fitted and installed seat is the part people don't do correctly. Or, people buy a good seat and think about things like invisible damage but then put their kids in there with a winter coat on.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The agent puts the car seat into the bag for you.

But if they can see you are traveling with the child, maybe they would treat the boxed seat the same as the bagged seat, and not charge you?

But curious, how are you getting the child to the airport if not sitting in the seat?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
I used this bag: http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ulti...t+bag+backpack

It is really nice - functions also as a backpack so you can lug them around hands-free. The other bonus is that they are big and sturdy enough that you can pack all sorts of other kid-related stuff in them like diapers, toys, etc.

I personally haven't ever worried about the potential for the carseats to get damaged during transit. I'm sure it could happen, but the risk that they'd be damaged beyond use is small. The manufacturer and all of the safety experts will warn against it (because they have to! imagine the liability if they didn't.) but seriously, I just don't think it's that much of an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.