Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tropical Storm Ana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well am scheduled to go to LIH this weekend and this pops up:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/before-your-trip/travel-tips/travel-advisories.aspx

Travel Advisories

Tropical Storm Ana - Hawaii Travel Advisory

Due to Tropical Storm Ana, flights to and from Hawaii may be affected. While Alaska Airlines is currently planning to fly as scheduled, we are offering the following waiver if you prefer to postpone or cancel your Hawaii plans:

EventTravel To/FromTickets Purchased On/BeforeOriginal Travel DatesException Policy
Tropical Storm AnaKona (KOA)
Honolulu (HNL)
Kauai (LIH)
Maui (OGG)
October 15, 2014October 17-20, 2014We will waive the change fees and the difference in the price of your ticket, if your new travel is booked in the same cabin. This applies to flights to Kona, Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui.

Tickets must be exchanged and travel completed on or before October 27, 2014. You may also request a refund if you choose not to travel at all. Refunds must be requested by October 27, 2014.
Additional Information

Passengers with tickets scheduled for travel on the affected dates may request a full refund with no fee.
Unaccompanied Minors will not be accepted on flights to Hawaii.
Pets shipped via Alaska Air Cargo will not be accepted on flights to Hawaii.
Pets traveling with their passenger will not be accepted on flights to Hawaii.
Hotel/Food/Ground Transportation amenities will not be provided by Alaska Airlines.
What to Do

As always, we advise you to check your flight status before departure. If your flight has been affected, you may rebook your flight, apply for a refund or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (if calling from within Mexico, call 001-800-252-7522).

Sign up for Trip Alerts or Flight Status Alerts and we'll notify you of any last minute delays, cancellations, or gate changes on your flights by email or text message.
Hmpf.

SEA-LIH on the 17th
LIH-SAN the 20th
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
My wife and her family are scheduled to fly out this Sunday the 19th, SEA-HNL. Still trying to decide what to do.

Neil
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:57 am

My friends are scheduled OGG-OAK tomorrow 10/17. Trying to advise them if they should get out today. I'd hate to convince them to give up a day of their vacation but would also hate to see them caught in this.

Projections seem to indicate it won't hit Maui until Sunday morning though...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:13 am

We are scheduled to arrive at OGG Sunday on AS867, fingers are crossed...

How bad does it have to be for them to cancel? Do they usually fly extra birds to make up for cancelled flights? It looks like flights are pretty full so if our flight is cancelled how likely are we to get re-booked in a timely matter?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by betelgeuze
How bad does it have to be for them to cancel? Do they usually fly extra birds to make up for cancelled flights? It looks like flights are pretty full so if our flight is cancelled how likely are we to get re-booked in a timely matter?
I was on Kauai just before Iselle hit this summer and left on 8/7 (storm hit the Big Island and all airports were closed on 8/8).

Based on what happened with Iselle:

1) Alaska will make decisions on a day-by-day basis in the morning.
2) Alaska wants to have zero planes in the islands when the storm hits.
3) Decision seems to be based on the assumption that the storm will maintain its current strength (or maybe strengthen) and change direction to be a direct hit on the airport(s).
4) Alaska wants to resume flights as soon as the storm passes and the airport re-opens (assuming it closes).
5) If Alaska cancels flights and the storm passes, Alaska seems willing fly an extra flight later (even like 12-14 hours later) the same day to try and accomodate affected passengers. There is some issue (ground staffing) with after hours flights to Lihue, so additional flights may not be scheduled for Kauai.

Based on the above and the current projected strength/path of Ana, my prediction (for what it's worth), is that flights will go as planned on 10/17, will be cancelled on 10/18 and will resume at each airport shortly after the storm passes. Ana seems to be moving slower than Iselle did, so flights to LIH, HNL and maybe even OGG may be impacted on 10/19 as well.

If flights are cancelled and Alaska doesn't make an extra flight to your airport, it may take several days to be rescheduled (some of the folks scheduled to leave Lihue on 8/8 didn't make it out until 8/11 or 8/12).

Last edited by dashark; Oct 16, 2014 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Thanks dashark for the insightful reply.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can make it to Maui on Sunday, once we're there I'm not so much afraid of poor weather I just need to get out of Seattle.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I'm on the fence right now
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
When is your flight? Wait as long as possible to decide--see where the storm progresses.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djibouti
When is your flight? Wait as long as possible to decide--see where the storm progresses.
First post 10/17 and 10/20.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:41 pm

Sorry, I've been following the thread piecemeal so had forgotten the first post.

Well, wait and see what happens tonight. It may clarify things quite a bit.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

I though you were double 75K by now. Can you push the trip of and take advantage of rebooking under the waiver for a different day for same fare??
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing

I though you were double 75K by now. Can you push the trip of and take advantage of rebooking under the waiver for a different day for same fare??
Not easily with work

Thinking of leaving LIH on the 19th...but that might be worse.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I would just go if it were me. LIH in a hurricane better than no LIH at all?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
+1
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
+1
Well I'm headin' to PANC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.