booking CX reward travel with AS points

Old Oct 13, 14, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
booking CX reward travel with AS points

Having squirrelled away enough points, and having researched things via this forum, I rang AS Mileage Plan to book reward travel in J class (really U class) as follows:

AKL HKG JFK x/HKG AKL, June 2015

Having used CX's own searchable tool I had some flight optioned identified. Surprisingly, AS was able to confirm segments that didn't show up when I searched CX's reward tool I could nothing non-stop ex AKL, but they got me on the perfect flight AKL HKG, in business class.

Unfortunately we couldn't find anything to get me back to NZ when I need to in early July. So I have 3/4 segments booked and will ring back weekly until we can either confirm the last segment (possibly to SYD or MEL and I'll buy a cheap trans-Tasman flight to AKL) or cancel and get the points reinstated.

The AS agent was super-nice and helpful and patient. Kudos! My question to you folks: have any of you been successful adding a missing segment weeks or months after making your initial booking on CX using AS points?

We looked at splitting the reward between CX and either QF or KE, but no joy.
Old Oct 13, 14, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
You can add an remove segments as many times as you want. No charge if done at least 60 days prior to departure of the first segment. $125 if done within 60 days of departure. After departure i'm not sure.
Old Oct 13, 14, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry...guess I wasn't precise enough. I know I can make changes--my question is if anyone on here has been successful in finding additional CX business class inventory to complete a partial reward booking.

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
You can add an remove segments as many times as you want. No charge if done at least 60 days prior to departure of the first segment. $125 if done within 60 days of departure. After departure i'm not sure.
Old Oct 13, 14, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
Sorry...guess I wasn't precise enough. I know I can make changes--my question is if anyone on here has been successful in finding additional CX business class inventory to complete a partial reward booking.
People have generally reported success with finding CX availability closer to the date of flight. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ility-f-j.html talks about availability and may have examples relevant to your situation.
Old Oct 13, 14, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks--I'd used that thread as my "instructions", as it were--so I was surprised that the AKL HKG reward seat was available to the AS agent, when no such availability showed up when searching via AsiaMiles/CX's own site. And I tried using through routing and per-segment searches: CX only showed limited availability via Australia (mostly the dreaded BNE x/CNS HKG route).

I was looking for more recent experiences, since that thread started 4 years ago--a century in FQTV time!

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K View Post
People have generally reported success with finding CX availability closer to the date of flight. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ility-f-j.html talks about availability and may have examples relevant to your situation.
Old Oct 13, 14, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Yes, I've been able to change bookings and add/drop segments (SEA-SFO-HKG-SIN-BKK-HKG-SFO-PDX-SEA to SEA-SFO-HKG-PEN/(stop)/BKK-HKG-SFO/(transfer airports via BART)/OAK-SEA back when CX flew to PEN).

This turned a round trip into an open-jaw...
Old Oct 13, 14, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Keep watching- space has a good shot of opening up- went from PE to Biz to F LAX-HKG and Biz to F 2x JNB-HKG (last year).
Old Oct 13, 14, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks--I'd used that thread as my "instructions", as it were--so I was surprised that the AKL HKG reward seat was available to the AS agent, when no such availability showed up when searching via AsiaMiles/CX's own site. And I tried using through routing and per-segment searches: CX only showed limited availability via Australia (mostly the dreaded BNE x/CNS HKG route).

I was looking for more recent experiences, since that thread started 4 years ago--a century in FQTV time!
Have a second look at that thread. While the first post may have been 3 - 4 years ago, if you look a little closer you will find that the thread is quite active with posts from just a few days ago. Go to the last page then work your way forward and you'll a number of recent reports from people regarding using AS miles on CX.
Old Oct 14, 14, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I meant the original instructions in the thread; nearly all of the subsequent posts are about specific requests or experience--not the initial methodology.

That AS can find availability that Marco Polo gold users can not is an important shift, methinks!

Thanks to everyone for their replies here--I'll update this if/when I manage to get that last flight sorted!
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Have a second look at that thread. While the first post may have been 3 - 4 years ago, if you look a little closer you will find that the thread is quite active with posts from just a few days ago. Go to the last page then work your way forward and you'll a number of recent reports from people regarding using AS miles on CX.

Search this Thread