Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Alaska Airlines The Finger!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Give Alaska Airlines The Finger!

From The Street

Alaska Airlines Pushes for Fingerprint Scanning at Check-in

The sixth largest airline in the U.S. is pushing for shorter lines at the airport by scanning your fingerprint. It wants to replace travel documents like passport and driver's license to let flyers get through check-in quicker.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I think Alaska still has a long way to go...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Totally opposed. Will give this info to CBP but not a private business.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Plat
Already rolling out for Board Rooms

I believe that they are already using this for expedited Board Room entry. At least, they are pressuring you to sign up for this 'feature'.

Last edited by flywobin; Oct 10, 2014 at 9:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Totally opposed. Will give this info to CBP but not a private business.
Usually how this is done to protect privacy, as with CC info or at least those who do this well, is that it's passed through to an organization whose sole purposed is to process this type of private info. That way the airline never has possession of the CC number, technically.

And you're Canadian, probably limited to US citizens...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'll be wearing a finger cot
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Alaska Airlines advocates fingerprint check-in would have been much more descriptive as a thread title.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:02 pm

We had this when I worked at American Express in lower Manhanttan, post-9/11. AmEx had zero of our fingerprints, it was literally tied to our ID, which was managed "blindly" and not something where they "had our fingerprint" and were able to tie it to us in the HR department, or something else. Everyone had EXACTLY this question/reaction. It was, honestly, mega fast.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Yes the BR has had this- haven't seen anyone use it though...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:23 pm

Does the TSA agree with this ? They usually need a document for their own purposes anyway...

(edit) Also, these fingerprint scanners are fooled at one point or another anyway. See Mythbusters for a classic attempt. Two factor (fingerprint+pin) is also no good considering you may give that pin to someone, or they just use the traditional methods of finding it out.

Last edited by Spoddy; Oct 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Biometrics are the future, yes, but not a next-Monday option. I'm not going to be any company's beta tester for bio data security while the biggest corporate names in the country are losing peoples' credit card info every week by the tens of millions. This ain't ready for prime time.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Totally ridiculous idea. They say it will "save time at check-in". How? When I go through TSA the amount of time devoted to checking my ID is measured in milli-seconds. The same for check-in at ticket counter. For kiosk check-in, I don't show an ID anyway.

If Alaska really wanted to make check-in faster, they could eliminate checked-baggage charges for the first and second bag. That would reduce the time for each check-in by a couple of minutes.

And, of course, if the computer system goes down, everything will come to a complete stop as there is no way to check a fingerprint without a scanner.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dave1013
From The Street

Alaska Airlines Pushes for Fingerprint Scanning at Check-in

The sixth largest airline in the U.S. is pushing for shorter lines at the airport by scanning your fingerprint. It wants to replace travel documents like passport and driver's license to let flyers get through check-in quicker.
I've been shocked this hasn't been a requirement for years now all over the world - every airport, every flight. I will avoid getting into specific use cases of what could have happened based on the lack of true identity verification prior to boarding - let's face it - photo identification isn't secure, and rarely does photo ID get checked again prior to boarding...

And for the people who cry foul that the government(s) around the world shouldn't have your fingerprints: The average person leaves a ridiculous amount of DNA and print trace everywhere you go.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:05 pm

The devil is in the details. Since 2005, Disney has been using fingerprint scanners at their theme parks. I've yet to hear about anything nefarious transpiring because a private company has access to fingerprints. Given the hyper-litigious nature of our society (and Disney's deep pockets), I'm certain there would a massive lawsuit if something had happened.

The reality is that Disney doesn't actually save fingerprint images. Rather, they save a mathematical construct based on a set number of data points. Even if the encryption could be cracked, it can't be used to re-create a full fingerprint because only a portion of the print was captured when initially entered.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by tombiro
We had this when I worked at American Express in lower Manhanttan, post-9/11. AmEx had zero of our fingerprints, it was literally tied to our ID, which was managed "blindly" and not something where they "had our fingerprint" and were able to tie it to us in the HR department, or something else. Everyone had EXACTLY this question/reaction. It was, honestly, mega fast.
I don't understand. Your fingerprint is stored somewhere. When you put your finger on the scanner, it's compared against that image. Somewhere, your personal info is associated with the image. Can you go into more details here please?

Originally Posted by eghansen
When I go through TSA the amount of time devoted to checking my ID is measured in milli-seconds. The same for check-in at ticket counter. For kiosk check-in, I don't show an ID anyway.
It's measured in multiple seconds at each check, not milliseconds. Think about the daily # of transactions. It adds up. As for kiosk, I thought they always made you swipe a credit card (which again adds seconds).

And, of course, if the computer system goes down, everything will come to a complete stop
Uh, no. They would use the current system and it's a little slower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.