Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

speculation about how DL earning might/will change in 2015?

Old Sep 29, 14, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

i find it hard to believe that DL is going to allow all coach fares to earn 100% on AS next year since they are moving SM to a spend based program. i have seen a few attractive DL fares being offered now for 2015 and want to jump on them, but clearly i don't want to credit them to DL... i also don't want to end up in a situation where i buy them and then earn zilch on AS.

so, what's the speculation about how DL fares will earn on AS next year? i'm kind of surprised that we have yet to see an announcement.

could it really be true that all fares will continue to earn 100% of base miles??
Old Sep 29, 14, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
so, what's the speculation about how DL fares will earn on AS next year? i'm kind of surprised that we have yet to see an announcement.

could it really be true that all fares will continue to earn 100% of base miles??
If the earn rate changes as of Jan 1 2015, I'd say that any announcement should be at least 60 days in advance which would be about November 1 (with earlier obviously being better).

That being said, I'm staying away from DL flights for next year until I hear specific information about how future crediting is going to work.
Old Sep 29, 14, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I can pretty much guarantee its not going to be 100% for all fare basis. How long until that happens I'm not sure.

I heard it will be similar to what we get on the international partners where some will earn less based on booking class, not based on actual $$. Example 2 people buy DL T fares. One person pays $400 for SEA-SFO and one person pays $300 for BOS-PDX. the BOS-PDX will earn more miles even though they spent less. Although wont be 100% but could be 25% or 0 depending how the fare buckets get split. The again things could have changed as I heard that a few months ago
Old Sep 29, 14, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Flights booked prior to announcements could be grandfathered in though? Maybe?
Old Sep 29, 14, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If anything that would be awesome. Don't know how they can distinguish that though...
Old Sep 29, 14, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by jona970318
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

If anything that would be awesome. Don't know how they can distinguish that though...
With FI and CO leaving MP there was some warning and a 'cooling off' period for both earning and redeeming.
Old Sep 30, 14, 1:05 am

Easiest would be 25 percent for lowest fares, up to 100 for full fare y and premiums for business and domestic first
Old Sep 30, 14, 1:21 am

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Well, Korean Air has a lot of restrictions on Delta tickets -- most lower tier fare classes earn ZERO miles...

here is the table from AeroMexico - where I believe Delta OWNS a chunk of this airline:

Premier Kilometers’ accrual chart

Cabin

Fare class

Base KmP

Bonus

First Class

F, A, P, G

100%

50%

Business

J, C, D, I, Z

100%

50%

Coach

Y, B, M,
S, H, Q, K, L, U, T

100%

0%

Coach
X, V, E 75% 0%
Old Sep 30, 14, 2:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Diamond
Just curious, when you fly a DL flight and bank the miles on AS, who pays who? Does AS bill X $ per mile to DL as per the agreement of 100% miles flown? And when a member of the AS program redeems on DL, the opposite happens? (AS pays DL X $ per mile redeemed). If someone has some insight on how partner dynamics work, I'd love to hear about it.
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by koopas View Post
Just curious, when you fly a DL flight and bank the miles on AS, who pays who? Does AS bill X $ per mile to DL as per the agreement of 100% miles flown? And when a member of the AS program redeems on DL, the opposite happens? (AS pays DL X $ per mile redeemed). If someone has some insight on how partner dynamics work, I'd love to hear about it.
The $ is only to make it easy for the accounting people. Airline partners usually aim to be balanced at the end of the year in terms of reciprocal earning and redeeming so that they don't have to compensate each other
Old Sep 30, 14, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
The $ is only to make it easy for the accounting people. Airline partners usually aim to be balanced at the end of the year in terms of reciprocal earning and redeeming so that they don't have to compensate each other
having banked 40K EQMs and 2x RDMs off of DL this year into AS i'm throwing a huge wrench in that calculation
Old Sep 30, 14, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

having banked 40K EQMs and 2x RDMs off of DL this year into AS i'm throwing a huge wrench in that calculation
Wont be a problem if boxing day repeats itself. if it weren't for that I would have no reason to fly Delta this year
Old Sep 30, 14, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Wont be a problem if boxing day repeats itself. if it weren't for that I would have no reason to fly Delta this year
Was sad I missed that sale
Old Sep 30, 14, 7:16 pm

How does 55,000k EQM from me in 3 months sound?
Old Sep 30, 14, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
How does 55,000k EQM from me in 3 months sound?
How about 30K EQM in a little over 7 days oh BTW it was 2 long weekends in HNL (exBOS) via DL F for $280RT. but alas the odds of that happening again are pretty slim

Search this Thread