Wiki Posts
Search

KLM award availability for AS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK, DL, UA
Unhappy KLM award availability for AS

I've been trying to book a AS award flight to CPH via AMS from SEA, LAX, or SFO for next August and using the 331 day cutoff to search. No KLM options are being offered anymore. They have modified their 747 fleet and Business class looks great but I cannot get anything! I wonder if they have stopped making award seats available?Any one have some knowledge of this?

Thanks,
seattletony
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Something is up...there's another two threads on this but search isn't a forte of the mobile platform.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
In beckoa's absence from the platform that allows search:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ilability.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...leageplan.html

The second thread is more helpful --- sounds like there might be a technology issue from the August website update involved.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Did you use the multi-city search option? I think KL uses married segments.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Did you use the multi-city search option? I think KL uses married segments.
Do they?

I've had some luck piecing them together
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa

Do they?

Had an experience when I booked KL through DL.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Had an experience when I booked KL through DL.
I have used multi-city, one way, etc. also just tried to separate out the principal route I want; that is SFO or LAX to AMS, thinking that I can pin that down I can then add SEA up from and CPH at back. All I get are BA options! which are pricey and even if I were willing to pay the high price (in addition to mile) for business or First, I find that coach is the offering on t he transatlantic portion!! AARGH!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa

Do they?

Just to clarify, I also was able to get a KL ticket for TXL-AMS-DFW by doing multi-city search. AS would not show this option by selecting one-way. Even with doing multi-city one may not get a KL option due to married segments I think based on my DL experience.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Called Partner Awards Desk today. Was eventually transferred to a "Partner Lead Agent" whom advised me today that they have had no ability to book KLM since August "due to the strike" (on Air France - which I indicated was largely irrelevant to KLM, and I was looking for several months hence in 2015).

Then they said that it wasn't the strike, it's just that there is no inventory for any KLM flights until July as it was all booked up.

This is obviously ridiculous, there's no way that every single KLM flight is sold out for award space between now and July of 2015.

Finally, they said they don't know what's going on and that there's no ability to redeem currently on KLM and they don't know what the situation is or how long this will go on for.

So basically, for the last several weeks - and for the foreseeable future - KLM and Air France are effectively no longer AS Mileage Plan partners for purposes of redemption.

She did say that they have good availability on British Airways, but as is well known now, the "fuel surcharges/award redemption fees" that BA tacks on effectively make the cost of using points (for Y travel at least) only nominally lower than just purchasing a low-fare-bucket ticket outright. More
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the updates everyone.

I've got an OJ currently needing to book one more segment intra-Europe so hope this clears up in a bit...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SamuelS
Called Partner Awards Desk today. Was eventually transferred to a "Partner Lead Agent" whom advised me today that they have had no ability to book KLM since August "due to the strike" (on Air France - which I indicated was largely irrelevant to KLM, and I was looking for several months hence in 2015).

Then they said that it wasn't the strike, it's just that there is no inventory for any KLM flights until July as it was all booked up.

This is obviously ridiculous, there's no way that every single KLM flight is sold out for award space between now and July of 2015.

Finally, they said they don't know what's going on and that there's no ability to redeem currently on KLM and they don't know what the situation is or how long this will go on for.

So basically, for the last several weeks - and for the foreseeable future - KLM and Air France are effectively no longer AS Mileage Plan partners for purposes of redemption.

She did say that they have good availability on British Airways, but as is well known now, the "fuel surcharges/award redemption fees" that BA tacks on effectively make the cost of using points (for Y travel at least) only nominally lower than just purchasing a low-fare-bucket ticket outright. More
Thanks for the update. Too bad that AS doesn't put a message on their website to provide us with this info - I expected better. I am extremely frustrated with this as well as my dates to book are fast approaching. Hopefully it will corrected soon. It
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you = that explains why I have been unable o book an a wad flight. I hope that things will open up soon. My request is for next summer. August and September! seattletony
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Sure about AF? I'm seeing availability ex-MSP and waiting on an SPG transfer to book. Shows available on EF and AS website.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:24 pm

Weird...maybe I'll need to back via CDG...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Sure about AF? I'm seeing availability ex-MSP and waiting on an SPG transfer to book. Shows available on EF and AS website.
I think AF is ok as I've recently changed an intra-Europe booking from KLM to Air France and then subsequently changed that AF booking to a different time and it re-ticketed no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.