AS gold cancelling self/partner ticket

Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hh diamond, cp diamond priority club plat Alaska 75k Delta Gold
AS gold cancelling self/partner ticket

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Wondering if I purchase a ticket for myself and a partner (brother) to be used later in the year. looking to purchase the lowest coach fair. I know that if I (as a gold) cancel, then the ticket will be returned to my wallet.

My question is if my brother cancels (booked on the same ticket as myself,) will the ticket be refundable?
will the funds go onto my wallet
or his.

Can I refund one and not the other.

In typing this, it looks like this could be used as a way to game the system, at least in the short term. (this is not my intent)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Wads
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm not sure what you are trying to 'game' exactly. Your brother would be subject to the same cancellation penalties as a non-MVPG+. IIRC you should be able to select which wallet the funds go into. And one cannot split a companion certificate like this either.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
It used to be the case that if, as an MVPG, you booked a rez for self plus other pax, the other pax got free changes as well. But no more.

I have found that if I book an award for somebody else, I get free changes; not sure if I'm supposed to, but it has continued to work that way since the change (most recently a month ago).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Your ticket: no change/cancel fee. Your brother: hit with the change fee unless it's in the change/cancel window. This caught me last year. Funds go into your wallet.

The exception is if your bother is on a mileage ticket. Then there's no chance/cancel/re-deposit fee.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:48 am

So as an MVPG, if you booked a flight for yourself plus another person without status, then decided later to cancel both tickets on the reservation inside of 60 days...would you be hit with a change fee for the non-status person? Or is that only if the one person without status wants to cancel their ticket?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
So as an MVPG, if you booked a flight for yourself plus another person without status, then decided later to cancel both tickets on the reservation inside of 60 days...would you be hit with a change fee for the non-status person? Or is that only if the one person without status wants to cancel their ticket?
For revenue, it's treated the same way whether the non-status person is on your PNR and if its a separate PNR. $125 fee will apply for the non-status persons , even if paid for by the status persons credit card. Who get the wallet credit I cannot remember.

You can cancel yourself off the reservation and leave the non-status person intact with no fee.

You can cancel the other person off your reservation and the $125 fee applies

You can both cancel and the $125 fee will still apply for the second person.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:20 am

Thanks for the info! I was assuming something different, so thanks for clearing that up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.