Upgrade + Same day Change?

Old Sep 23, 14, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Upgrade + Same day Change?

Right now I'm thinking about doing a SDC for one of my flight next month on a itinerary JFK-LAX(AA want to do same day standby as well) LAX-SEA-YVR
It's all on one reservation on AS stock. For my JFK-LAX flight on AA, I'm thinking about doing a standby for a flight an hour earlier. Based on the itinerary right now, I wouldn't meet the MCT at LAX for the earlier SEA flight, but I will with the AA flight. Would I be able to request the change online for the AS flight, or do I have to call or ask at LAX since it technically an illegal connection in the reservation? And if I am able to change to the earlier LAX-SEA, would I lose my existing upgrade(if any)? If so, then would I just be on the waitlist based on my status and original date of booking?

Thank you all for your help!!
Old Sep 23, 14, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Oh, one more thing. I'm also thinking about changing my SEA-YVR flight to the last one of the day to squeeze in some time to visit town. As of right now, I would have a 7 hour layover in SEA with the new flight. Would that be allowed for a same day change?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 23, 14, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

SDC seems to allow illegal connections. Who issued your ticket? AS or AA? If AA your options are more restricted.
Old Sep 23, 14, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

SDC seems to allow illegal connections. Who issued your ticket? AS or AA? If AA your options are more restricted.
Booked with AS. I'm also OWE so I'll have a bit more flexibility with AA
Old Sep 24, 14, 12:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
And if I am able to change to the earlier LAX-SEA, would I lose my existing upgrade(if any)? If so, then would I just be on the waitlist based on my status and original date of booking?
Yes, you would lose your upgrade; I believe you go onto the waitlist based on time that you SDCed, not time of original booking.

I've cleared some upgrades even after SDCing on SFO-SEA and SAN-SEA, but only with the advantage of being on the 75K waitlist. Upgrading so close in from the Gold/MVP waitlist will need a very elite-light flight and a good bit of luck - try making the change as soon after 10 PM (Pacific) as you can, in the hopes of at least beating out anyone else making similar changes.
Old Sep 24, 14, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Yes, you would lose your upgrade; I believe you go onto the waitlist based on time that you SDCed, not time of original booking.

I've cleared some upgrades even after SDCing on SFO-SEA and SAN-SEA, but only with the advantage of being on the 75K waitlist. Upgrading so close in from the Gold/MVP waitlist will need a very elite-light flight and a good bit of luck - try making the change as soon after 10 PM (Pacific) as you can, in the hopes of at least beating out anyone else making similar changes.
Thank you. Do you know if the system will allow me to SDC to an earlier flight with a illegal connection time?
Old Sep 24, 14, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Is your priority making the changes, keeping your upgrade, or something else? I'm personally not sure I would make a change to the LAX-SEA until you're cleared onto the earlier JFK-LAX. Your OWE status won't help you any with the AA flight since you'll be flying under your AS status. Is there any chance there are same/similar fares still available for the AA flight? If so, you can change flights now for no fee thanks to the MVPG Change Fee waiver, you'll just have to call in to do it.
Old Sep 24, 14, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan View Post
Is your priority making the changes, keeping your upgrade, or something else? I'm personally not sure I would make a change to the LAX-SEA until you're cleared onto the earlier JFK-LAX. Your OWE status won't help you any with the AA flight since you'll be flying under your AS status. Is there any chance there are same/similar fares still available for the AA flight? If so, you can change flights now for no fee thanks to the MVPG Change Fee waiver, you'll just have to call in to do it.
I don't think changing the JFK-LAX flight would be much of a problem since I can put my OWE into the AA system and ask the agent to change it back to AS before the flight.

I would say I would like to change if that's possible, although I'll take the ug situation into consideration when I'm deciding
Old Sep 24, 14, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Spend the cash for WiFi during the flight and make your AS SDCs AFTER you clear the AA standby list and change your AA flight. Worst case, you stand by as a Gold at LAX, and worst worst case, you kill an extra hour at LAX. Oh noes.

My guess is AS's web logic isn't going to want to let you SDC to a connection that violates MCT, so that's why you'd need to do it after.

I'm guessing cash is tight and you don't want to spend the $75 for AA SDC that would make this much easier, right? And this is why you're doing the AS MVPG/OWE/AS MVPG siwtcheroo, to do standby as a OWE and not spend the $75?
Old Sep 25, 14, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Spend the cash for WiFi during the flight and make your AS SDCs AFTER you clear the AA standby list and change your AA flight. Worst case, you stand by as a Gold at LAX, and worst worst case, you kill an extra hour at LAX. Oh noes.

My guess is AS's web logic isn't going to want to let you SDC to a connection that violates MCT, so that's why you'd need to do it after.

I'm guessing cash is tight and you don't want to spend the $75 for AA SDC that would make this much easier, right? And this is why you're doing the AS MVPG/OWE/AS MVPG siwtcheroo, to do standby as a OWE and not spend the $75?
Haha, you got half of the puzzle. It's is a part of a MR and I don't particularly favor the idea of spending extra during a MR if I can help it.

Are the systems between AA and AS linked enough so that it recognizes AA standby/change after it's been cleared as it's done solely on AA's side?
Old Sep 25, 14, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
Haha, you got half of the puzzle. It's is a part of a MR and I don't particularly favor the idea of spending extra during a MR if I can help it.

Are the systems between AA and AS linked enough so that it recognizes AA standby/change after it's been cleared as it's done solely on AA's side?
Presumably the ticket gets changed to show what flight you're on once you clear standby, since they'll need to track the flight coupons (if you no showed your flight or something).

Search this Thread