Same day change squatting

Old Sep 17, 14, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Gold);
Same day change squatting

Not sure this warrants a thread but who knows.

A few weeks back I was shopping o/w YYC-SEA flights and found two flight options on the day I needed (which is tomorrow). I really wanted the evening flight but it was double the price of the 6:30am flight (damn you supply and demand). I bought the early morning flight thinking I would same day change (SDC) it the night before and all would be well.

Inevitably the evening flight filled up, but lo and behold I did manage to get the last seat this evening right on the 22:00 hour mark when MVPs can access SDCs for the next day.

During my agonizing wait to get the last seat, it occurred to me to buy the last seat earlier in the day today, then call up and cancel it right at 22:00, then SDC over to the seat I had just cancelled (or purchase a refundable fare even earlier and do the same).

I never did pursue this option, but it made me wonder whether or not others have tried this approach (I'm trying to coin the term "seat squatting" which has some unfortunate visualization side effects) and what the official AS line is on this?
Old Sep 17, 14, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS is good about deleting duplicate records like this, especially close in. And could also put your miles, status, and ability to fly AS in jeopardy. Not sure its worth the risk IMO.
Old Sep 18, 14, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I think the CoC has language talking about booking tickets one never intends to travel with, and how much it vexes AS.
Old Sep 18, 14, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by LAXative View Post
I think the CoC has language talking about booking tickets one never intends to travel with, and how much it vexes AS.
Rule 135AS, paragraph C in the Contract of Carriage:

Duplicate, impossible/illogical, fraudulent, fictitious or abusive reservations are prohibited and may be subject to cancellation.

A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as SEALAX and SEAONT or SNASEA and ONTSEA), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight.

Fraudulent, fictitious or abusive bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger.

Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, Mileage Plan award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of Alaska Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from Alaska Airlines.

Prohibited, as LAXative suggests.

Also prohibited, buying a ticket (not to be used) for the sole purpose of getting into the Board Room.
Old Sep 18, 14, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, *A Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
This sounds like a variant of the scam where people were buying FC tickets and canceling them in order to influence the number of upgrade seats available. I recall seeing a few posts about those in the Delta and United forums... nearly all of them have followup reports of FF accounts blocked and some with reports of the scammers being arrested and/or sued for massive damages.
Old Sep 18, 14, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post

Also prohibited, buying a ticket (not to be used) for the sole purpose of getting into the Board Room.
That's new

Never did pull that one
Old Sep 18, 14, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Great way to get all your miles and status taken away. Never buy a seat in order to increase upgrade odds or SDC.
Old Sep 18, 14, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Gold);
Great replies, and i appreciate the link back to rule 135AS. I outright asked the agent if I could do a purchase/refund and the feedback I got was that yes, you could but the refunded seat might not make it back into inventory (which I thought sounded odd from a revenue management perspective).
Old Sep 18, 14, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by banffflyr View Post
Great replies, and i appreciate the link back to rule 135AS. I outright asked the agent if I could do a purchase/refund and the feedback I got was that yes, you could but the refunded seat might not make it back into inventory (which I thought sounded odd from a revenue management perspective).
I don't think agent was putting 2 and 2 together. True, fare bucket it was booked into may not re-open, SDC doesn't care about fare buckets only cabin of travel (unless you got in F as an upgrade which pushes you back to coach).

Agent was not saying it's ok to do what you thought about doing

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 18, 14 at 9:34 pm
Old Sep 21, 14, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
I wouldn't try it, but having a buddy make the "squatting" rez ids an obvious and practically undetectable work-around.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: