Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVPG change benefits for award tickets book for other passengers?

Old Sep 11, 14, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Does anyone know how MVPG change benefits work for award tickets book for other passengers?

I booked 3 x CX J award tickets, but they had to put my mother-in-law on a separate reservation because they had to put her on an earlier Alaska connecting flight than us. Since my name is not on her reservation, but I am the purchaser of the award tickets, will I be able to use my MVPG benefit of waiving change fees for her ticket?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 14, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If the miles are from a MVPG or higher account there are no change fees.
Old Sep 11, 14, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'm not so sure about that one... I thought the benefit would apply to the passenger who holds the status + any companion
Old Sep 11, 14, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
I'm not so sure about that one... I thought the benefit would apply to the passenger who holds the status + any companion
I'm with Beckoa in thinking that the fee benefits are determined by which account the miles are redeemed from.
Old Sep 11, 14, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
I'm with Beckoa in thinking that the fee benefits are determined by which account the miles are redeemed from.
The airlines that I know of, Award fees follows redeemer account and revenue fees follows travelers account.

Well I guess that's not 100% correct. On UA for example benefits like E+, priority check in, award upgrades, baggage fee waiver, change fee waiver, etc. seem to follow redeemers account. A few years ago AS changed this so you have to enter your own FF number into awards to get the elite benefits, although fee waiver on awards remained tied to redeeming account.

For revenue tickets, change fee waiver up until date of departure is tied to travelers status. I can no longer get change fee waived on both tickets should my +1 fly with me, that changed many years ago
Old Sep 11, 14, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

I never knew the waiver extended to one's plus one before...
Old Sep 11, 14, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

I never knew the waiver extended to one's plus one before...
I can barely remember this stuff since its been a few years since i had a reservation that included more than just me

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 11, 14 at 10:59 pm
Old Sep 12, 14, 12:24 pm
JCR

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I actually just called about this, and was told that if the miles were redeemed from my MVPG account, then any changes or cancellation would incur no fees, regardless of whether I was on the itinerary.
Old Sep 12, 14, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Thanks all. I just made some changes to the flights and no fees. This has to be my favorite MVPG benefits.
Old Sep 12, 14, 12:31 pm

" I actually just called about this, and was told that if the miles were redeemed from my MVPG account, then any changes or cancellation would incur no fees, regardless of whether I was on the itinerary. "

I know that you likely forfeit your taxes. All the benefits from your status follow all award travel. I had a trip with my girlfriend booked to brazil then had to cancel it, even though the award was on a partner airline, I got all the miles back. MVPG and up!
Old Sep 12, 14, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by riotblast2 View Post
" I actually just called about this, and was told that if the miles were redeemed from my MVPG account, then any changes or cancellation would incur no fees, regardless of whether I was on the itinerary. "

I know that you likely forfeit your taxes. All the benefits from your status follow all award travel. I had a trip with my girlfriend booked to brazil then had to cancel it, even though the award was on a partner airline, I got all the miles back. MVPG and up!
Why would you forfeit taxes? Only the partner booking fee is non refundable.

And welcome, riotblast2.

Search this Thread