AS SEA 40 Minute Connection?

Old Sep 6, 14, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

AS SEA 40 Minute Connection?

I am currently looking at flights to New York from Portland, OR and found this flight:

AS 2328 PDX - SEA
6:30-7:20

AS 8 SEA - EWR
8:00-16:10

Will the 40 minute connection in SEA be enough?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 14, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would not to it because
(1) AS flights typically start boarding at T-40,
(2) The short hops are typically prone to delays,
(3) If you miss your flight, when is the next flight? AS doesn't have a lot of EWR frequency, and the flights often run full.
Old Sep 6, 14, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
I agree with Eastbay1K.

Take the 5:05 am flight from PDX to Seattle instead and allow plenty of time to make the transfer to the Newark flight.

Not many choices out of PDX to SEA that early in the morning with AS 8 changing its departure time from 9:10 am to 8:00 am.
Old Sep 6, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
40 minutes in SEA is a legal connection. You might have to move quickly, though; the inbound flight from PDX has a good chance of arriving at the C2 gates in SEA, and I usually see the Newark flight leaving from the N gates, requiring several minutes of walking and a train. They might be out of overhead bin space by the time you got there, as well. If you're luckier and you arrive and depart out of the same concourse, it'll be no trouble; however, there's no way to predict that in advance.

If you could switch to the next earlier PDX-SEA shuttle flight, it would eliminate any stress.
Old Sep 6, 14, 2:19 pm

Booking a 40 minute connection in SEA is NOT a good idea, especially when there isn't another flight to EWR for 7 hours, and the next flight could easily be full.

If you are lucky, you will arrive into N from PDX and leave out of N to EWR, but you could just as easily arrive into C and leave out of N. The tram from C to N isn't that fast, despite what AS would like us to believe.
Old Sep 6, 14, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SAMSUNG-SM-G870A Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Back when AS used D, I landed at C16 and departed from D11 on a 40 minute connection. If you know SEA, you know that is about the worst possible connecting gate option in the whole airport.
Old Sep 6, 14, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
I agree with everyone...switch to the 5:05am and have a stress-free, relaxing connection in SEA....AS flights seem to board earlier than most so they will easily be boarding before you can ever get to the gate.
Old Sep 6, 14, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AS requires pax to be at the boarding gate no later than T-30. That gives OP 10 minutes from brakes locked on the inbound to the gate reader on the outbound. If the xSEA flight is at risk of an oversale, offloading OP is an easy selection as it avoids IDB/VDB and leaves OP out in the cold waiting for the next flight with availability.

Either take the earlier flight or pop in the night before, have a good time at SEA and have a leisurely start in the AM.
Old Sep 6, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lhenry1234 View Post
I am currently looking at flights to New York from Portland, OR and found this flight:

AS 2328 PDX - SEA
6:30-7:20

AS 8 SEA - EWR
8:00-16:10

Will the 40 minute connection in SEA be enough?

Thanks
I realize I'm in the minority, but personally, I'd go for it. If you are somewhat familiar with SEA and do not have any mobility restrictions, I think you'll have an extremely good chance of making this connection. The early morning Horizon flights have a stellar on time rating (>95% for AS2328, according to flightstats), and more often than not they land ahead of schedule. So long as you walk quickly and directly to your next gate, 40 minutes will be more than enough time.

My vote is, take the extra 1.5 hours of sleep at that time of morning!!

P.S. Yes, AS has the official policy of requiring passengers at the gate at T-30. But they can also see that you're on a legal 40-minute connection from another AS flight. There is no way they would offload passengers in that situation, it would be a PR nightmare! So I don't think that's anything to worry about, until maybe T-15 or later.
Old Sep 6, 14, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I do plenty of 40-60 minute connections in SEA...nice to get home a bit earlier or sleep in more. I'd probably be ok unless *I had* to make the EWR flight...in that case probably better to fly to EWR the night before.
Old Sep 6, 14, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I do plenty of 40-60 minute connections in SEA...nice to get home a bit earlier or sleep in more. I'd probably be ok unless *I had* to make the EWR flight...in that case probably better to fly to EWR the night before.
Kinda surprised they don't run a EWR red-eye like they do with BOS/DFW/MCO.
Old Sep 7, 14, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by PDXPremier

Kinda surprised they don't run a EWR red-eye like they do with BOS/DFW/MCO.
Slot restricted perhaps?

With the relationship with UA disbanded for the most part, have expected AS to start EWR-PDX...
Old Sep 7, 14, 11:59 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've done 40 minute connections at SEA. That early in the morning you shouldn't experience any major delays, unless the plane is spending the night at maintenance and they don't finish it up right away.

This would be the only time I'd suggest checking your bags. That way you don't waste time for the a la carte bags to appear.
Old Sep 8, 14, 6:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

Slot restricted perhaps?

With the relationship with UA disbanded for the most part, have expected AS to start EWR-PDX...
EWR is not slot-restricted.
Old Sep 8, 14, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
EWR is not slot-restricted.
Yes it is.

Search this Thread