Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

how reliable is "elite seating" map/load as an indicator of # MVP on a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

on most AS flights the first two rows of economy and the exit rows are full fare/elite only. how reliable is the # seats occupied in these areas of the plane as an indicator of elite load factor? i'm using this as an estimator of upgrade probability of course

i guess my question really boils down to -- would there be any good reason an elite would NOT select these seats?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i guess my question really boils down to -- would there be any good reason an elite would NOT select these seats?
Absolutely -- one-third of them are middles, and some of us don't like windows, and bulkhead seats mean you're more dependent on bin storage. I will select 10C over 6E any day.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
let me clarify further on the flights in question, the total number of premium seats occupied are 4 and 6, respectively. this total includes the two seats currently occupied by me and my companion. lots of aisle/window "premium" options remain for the choosing.

nonetheless your feedback is great, i did not think about it that way (the 1/3 of the "elite" seats being middles). i also agree that i hate bulkheads and never choose them, i'm an exit row guy myself.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BearX220
Absolutely -- one-third of them are middles, and some of us don't like windows, and bulkhead seats mean you're more dependent on bin storage. I will select 10C over 6E any day.
Good thing 90% of Alaska's aircraft still have underseat storage in the row 6 "bulkhead".
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
DL and AA elites have access to these seats so its not helpful. If the plane is extremely empty it works ok
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Non elites purchasing full Y or redeeming peak coach awards also have access to these seats.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Plus companions who may or may not be eligible for upgrades can occupy elite seating...adds up with families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.