Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade to business and receive miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

I am trying to find a way to fly from SEA to LHR to visit my son. I would like to fly business class and receive some miles so I can maintain Alaska Gold MVP.

When I tried to redeem through Alaska's award system I couldn't pay and use miles to upgrade. I have a significant amount of AMEX points and was wondering if there might be a way to use those to upgrade a ticket if I buy one and receive mileage credit in my Alaska account? I understand I would get miles on the original fare.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Alaska Airlines does not fly to London. You should ask questions regarding upgrades in the forum of the airline that you choose to fly to London, as these policies will depend on the airline you fly, not having anything to do with Alaska Airlines.

British Airways is an AMEX Membership Rewards transfer partner. The BA forum has a guide to using Avios for upgrades:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22138044

There are of course other airlines that are Alaska partners that would serve London (American, Delta, KLM, Air France). I am not familiar with policies on those airlines; perhaps there is information in other FT forums that would be helpful?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 28, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by fordejj
I am trying to find a way to fly from SEA to LHR to visit my son. I would like to fly business class and receive some miles so I can maintain Alaska Gold MVP.

When I tried to redeem through Alaska's award system I couldn't pay and use miles to upgrade. I have a significant amount of AMEX points and was wondering if there might be a way to use those to upgrade a ticket if I buy one and receive mileage credit in my Alaska account? I understand I would get miles on the original fare.
You can do the following.

Book a premium economy ticket on BA. Give alaska Mileage plan number for this flight to credit the miles.
Transfer 10,000 of your Amex points to BA avios.
Upgrade the premium economy seat to business.

I was doing this everytime i needed to fly on BA.

Check the upgrade availability prior to booking the premium economy tickets.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by su9062
Check the upgrade availability prior to booking the premium economy tickets.
Availability tends to be low on SEA-LHR with BA and upgrades from Premium Economy to Business. YVR-LHR may have better availability. Also, the days with two flights might have more upgrade availability.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
Availability tends to be low on SEA-LHR with BA and upgrades from Premium Economy to Business. YVR-LHR may have better availability. Also, the days with two flights might have more upgrade availability.
Actually on this note, i recommend flying via Vegas. Due to some reason it has always been much cheaper on BA.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
I thought the upgrade from Premium Economy to Club World is 25K Avios, not 10K.

Also, make sure the original (paid) ticket in PE is an upgradable one. I used to accomplish this by using the "book with cash and upgrade with Avios" feature on BA.com at the outset. The one time I tried to upgrade later, it turned out we had booked the wrong fare class and it was not possible.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by enzian
I thought the upgrade from Premium Economy to Club World is 25K Avios, not 10K.

Also, make sure the original (paid) ticket in PE is an upgradable one. I used to accomplish this by using the "book with cash and upgrade with Avios" feature on BA.com at the outset. The one time I tried to upgrade later, it turned out we had booked the wrong fare class and it was not possible.
That is generally the most expensive way to do it. Always book using an OTA after checking availability. Any fareclass WTP is upgradable to club. There are no restrictions there. But you cannot do this online, have to call in.

It depends on the distance but i think the calculation is something like half the miles required to book an economy ticket to upgrade one class. Which makes it 12.5 k for their longest flights.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
OK, I was talking RT. From US west coast to LHR, the upgrade from PE to J is 12.5 K Avios each way, or 25 K total. I assume anyone talking about flying business class to London is thinking of flying both ways.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by enzian
I assume anyone talking about flying business class to London is thinking of flying both ways.
Of course, but it's much easier said than done. Availability on these routes tends to be pretty low, or perhaps more snapped up fairly quickly.

OTOH, these routes also can get fairly overbooked, and that can also work out well.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
Of course, but it's much easier said than done. Availability on these routes tends to be pretty low, or perhaps more snapped up fairly quickly.

OTOH, these routes also can get fairly overbooked, and that can also work out well.
Not really, with the BA fuel surcharges , the availability in club is pretty awesome all the time. And booking this PE and upgrading to club is a well documented method of using avios to extract the most value.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by su9062
Not really, with the BA fuel surcharges , the availability in club is pretty awesome all the time. And booking this PE and upgrading to club is a well documented method of using avios to extract the most value.
If you're willing to do quite a bit of searching a good bit of availability is there. At least often westbound. But it goes quick. I've not found availability eastbound. Of course, given the time I've spent searching, it would be cheaper just to buy CW to begin with for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.