Award calendar switch 'n bait

Old Aug 11, 14, 8:35 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Award calendar switch 'n bait

Was looking at BOS-X-EZE for April next year. Initially it shows plenty of C/F on AA. However, clicking on any date reveals "mixed-cabin" awards with domestic F and international Y.
Really getting tired of that scam.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 12, 14 at 7:06 am
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 11, 14, 8:43 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,797
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Not sure it's a scam. With AA there are certain gateways one can use such as MIA or DFW. This might help with your search- but can still bring up connections. Build from there your BOS-hub leg. I wish you could restrict to nonstop flights or certain carriers myself but isn't possible yet.
beckoa is offline  
Old Aug 11, 14, 8:47 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 27,714
This happens on a lot of different airline searches. Find the main hubs, check from there, doing a non-stop search. When you find the cabin you want, then do the connector search.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Aug 11, 14, 8:58 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Was looking at BOS-X-EZE for April next year. Initially shows plenty of C/F on AA. However, clicking on any date reveals "mixed-cabin" awards with domestic F and international Y.
Really getting tired of that scam.
Are you searching by the right number of travelers? One common issue is that customers have a tendency to initially search availability based on a party of one, then once they've established what the fare is they start the booking process for the actual number in their party and are sometimes frustrated to learn there were perhaps only one or two seats left in that inventory and not enough for their whole party.
Snowdevil is offline  
Old Aug 11, 14, 10:21 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,518
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Was looking at BOS-X-EZE for April next year. Initially shows plenty of C/F on AA. However, clicking on any date reveals "mixed-cabin" awards with domestic F and international Y.
Really getting tired of that scam.
Is it guaranteed to be available on AS if it is available on AA?

Not sure why this is a scam? Some mixed cabin itineraries are advantageous with the international being C/F in my experience.
apodo77 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 6:45 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Is it guaranteed to be available on AS if it is available on AA?

Not sure why this is a scam? Some mixed cabin itineraries are advantageous with the international being C/F in my experience.
Did you read what I wrote?
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 6:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Did you read what I wrote?
Easy there, pal. Just because it's available on AA does not mean it's available on AS.

Are the "plenty of C/F" in sAAver buckets? If not, to the best of my knowledge they're not going to show up on AS, making your point moot.
MonThruThurs is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs View Post
Easy there, pal. Just because it's available on AA does not mean it's available on AS.

Are the "plenty of C/F" in sAAver buckets? If not, to the best of my knowledge they're not going to show up on AS, making your point moot.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Was looking at BOS-X-EZE for April next year using the Alaska Air website calendar. Initially the monthly calendar shows plenty of C/F (on AA). However, clicking on any date reveals "mixed-cabin" awards with domestic F and international Y.
Really getting tired of that scam.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:05 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
*duplicate*
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Was looking at BOS-X-EZE for April next year using the Alaska Air website calendar. Initially the monthly calendar shows plenty of C/F (on AA). However, clicking on any date reveals "mixed-cabin" awards with domestic F and international Y.
Really getting tired of that scam.
Ahhhhh. Still fail to see where the bait and switch is. There is a very clear "mixed cabin itinerary" button and you never made the transaction.
MonThruThurs is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:09 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs View Post
Ahhhhh. Still fail to see where the bait and switch is. There is a very clear "mixed cabin itinerary" button and you never made the transaction.
Yes there is a button, but only after you select the $50K itinerary.
It's similar like this:

You go to the dealer and see a car wrapped in BMW-5 paper for $$$. You like it and want to buy it. But the moment you are ready to buy, the dealer unwraps the car and now it turns out to be a Toyota.
Are you happy? NO!!
In fact, you would probably be enraged and immediately call the consumer protection agency.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Yes there is a button, but only after you select the $50K itinerary.
That's 100% inaccurate. The seat under the price is the mixed itinerary indicator, which you can click on beofre moving to the next page; before entering your info, seats, selecting insurance, and then paying.



MonThruThurs is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:17 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs View Post
That's 100% inaccurate. The seat under the price is the mixed itinerary indicator, which you can click on beofre moving to the next page; before entering your info, seats, selecting insurance, and then paying.

I see. Those two wiggly lines...
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:19 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
I see. Those two wiggly lines...
It's a person in a seat! Haha is this a joke, couldn't be much clearer in my opinion.

Maybe moving off of your Macintosh Classic will allow your comp to render html.
MonThruThurs is offline  
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:23 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,513
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs View Post
Maybe moving off of your Macintosh Classic will allow your comp to render html.


We still have equipment operated by Win 3.1 at the place where I work...
Dieuwer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: