Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It gets curiouser and curiouser

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
It gets curiouser and curiouser

I do feel a bit like Alice right now! I need to get from ANC to SEA to ORD and want to do an overnight and most of the next day in Seattle. So I quite easily go onto the AS website, put it in as a multi-city and the fare pops up for each flight and totals a bit over $1000 (this is one way in F). Just because I'm curious, I go on Kayak and price the same flights - $860 and it sends me not to a third party but to the AS website. So I call AS and say why can't I find this myself on the AS website and they have no idea because they get the $860 fare as well! Anyone know why this is happening? Is it a common flaw?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What price does the BA website give?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted in the BA forum but has been moved to the AS forum as it appears to be about the AS.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:54 pm

At a guess, it's probably a difference between pricing ANC-SEA and SEA-ORD individually, versus pricing an ANC-ORD fare + taxes for an extra segment.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:01 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
how many hours is your proposed stopover
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks, LTN Phobia! My link is to BA when I type "fl" and I was so bemused by the issue that I didn't think! Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Hi, the layover is about 20 hours - the interesting thing is that the agent at AS gets the same price as the kayak price but the "private" flyer can't pull up that price.....very strange. The agent was at a loss to explain why she was getting a much lower price than I was getting when putting in the same info. Hmmmmm.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Are you viewing by price or schedule? If by schedule it'll show prices for each individual segment. By price it will include fares that allow stopovers.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Aug 9, 2014 at 12:33 am Reason: Changed "searching" to "viewing"
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

That did it! I never thought to change it - thanks!!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:13 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I need to head that way again and blow a couple more upgrade certificates before the end of the year
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

I spotted and grabbed an Emirates F ORD to DBX and on to AMS after an o/n in Dubai. Can't always just drop everything and take off but could for this time and I didn't think twice even though it meant I needed to get myself to ORD because there weren't any award seats in F between ANC and ORD. Not a very expensive price to pay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.