FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Boardroom strategy for 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1591297-boardroom-strategy-2015-a.html)

UAPremierExec Jul 3, 2014 6:17 pm

Boardroom strategy for 2015

So, now that we have had a devaluation with Delta - no guests for free & reduced DL codeshares, it seems like maybe a deal with the Admirals Club isnt forthcoming.

Most of my travels are now on AA/AS flights, and destinations I fly to have a SkyClub but they are never in the same concourse or even terminal.

Ive recently bought a 30 day membership in the Admirals Club since Miami, Dallas, & Ohare are in my upcoming itineraries and Im leaning towards a full membership. Im thinking of letting my boardroom membership lapse in November... and sticking with AA.

Just wondering what others are thinking.

Orwaid Jul 3, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi -

When I became a 75K this year, i got 4 BR passes. So far I have used one. Mainly because I have not had any IRROPS so far this year (knock on wood).

And, as you discovered, access to another Clubroom, be it DL or AA, is hit-and-miss.

beckoa Jul 3, 2014 8:43 pm

I got PP via an expensive CC. Works for me- so far with others I've used one of my passes from being 75K...not sure what I'll do once those run out for companions.

This was after I had a BR membership nearly continually since the day I turned 21 (back then one needed to be this age to get a membership)

Not having access to the BR when not traveling is a non-starter. If AS were to revisit this, so would I with the membership.

djibouti Jul 4, 2014 2:20 am

Boardroom strategy for 2015

Rather than buy AC membership look at the Executive MasterCard offer. It includes AC with 100k mile bonus, effectively $250 after statement credit so cheaper than directly buying membership...

pcoll Apr 23, 2015 10:37 am

AS Boardroom membership question

Our premium CC has dropped Lounge Club and we are looking at getting Boardroom membership. One question, can we combine the MVP and AS Visa discounts for Initiation Fee? It looks like getting a three year is the best way to go.:)

macfadsj Apr 23, 2015 10:57 am

If you want access to both AA and AS clubs, there is a way to get both for "free" in the first year.
The Citi Prestige card has an annual $450 fee, but will give you a $250 airline credit this year and another one in 2016. The card itself gets you into the Admirals Club, and two weeks after you are approved, they give you a Priority Pass card, good for all Board Rooms. If you spend $3K in the first 3 months, they also give you 50K thank you points, which can be transferred to many airline programs, although not AA or AS.

Google CitiPrestige 50000 and you will find the application page. Many other benefits as well.

DG206 Apr 23, 2015 11:48 am

Originally Posted by macfadsj (Post 24709445)
If you want access to both AA and AS clubs, there is a way to get both for "free" in the first year.
The Citi Prestige card has an annual $450 fee, but will give you a $250 airline credit this year and another one in 2016. The card itself gets you into the Admirals Club, and two weeks after you are approved, they give you a Priority Pass card, good for all Board Rooms. If you spend $3K in the first 3 months, they also give you 50K thank you points, which can be transferred to many airline programs, although not AA or AS.

Google CitiPrestige 50000 and you will find the application page. Many other benefits as well.

Kind of. With the Citi card you need to have an AA issued boarding pass, not codeshare to use the Admirals Club benefit. Looking around this appears to me moderately enforced.

Earendel Apr 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by macfadsj (Post 24709445)

I just ordered the Citi Prestige Card last week. Greatest thing since sliced bread, IMHO. I figure the signup benefits make the card itself free for 2 years at least. In addition, you get 4th night free at any hotel you book through their service. The 50,000 points are worth 1.6c/pt on AA tickets (worth $800) or 1.3c/pt on other airlines, you also get delayed trip, delayed baggage and trip cancellation insurance, roadside assistance and 3 free rounds of golf every year.

seahawkflyer Apr 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Another Option..

If anyone is looking just for BR access you can get the Amex Platinum for free for the first year for you and up to three additional card members. Includes the $200 in incidental fees (or gift cards), Global Entry (+Precheck), PP, and more. Not having the fee for the first year is a HUGE value.

Search - Ameriprise Amex Platinum Offer

pcoll Apr 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the good info.
I just completed online app for Ameriprize Amex Plat card ( see Flyertalk forum under Amex rewards) The ability to get 2 cards with no fee for one year and PP for both my husband and myself was important. Even if we keep them next year, we get $400 airline credits each year( from this and other card) and this off sets total cost of card.

Received response that I would receive response in 10-12days. Others on Flyertalk say they received welcome email within much shorter time frame. (FICO is 810) Hoping to expedite card for travel next month.
Will update .

UAPremierExec Apr 23, 2015 7:35 pm

and for those wondering, I did defect to SkyClub. I saw a bunch of travel to Europe last month and will have some consistent Asia / Europe travel and Boardroom just doesn't have much affiliations or international presence. I also didn't want to open a credit card, so cashed in some SkyBonus points with my company for it...

Points Scrounger Apr 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I travel on Delta enough to make the Plat card worthwhile; however, there'd still be a loophole of traveling on an AS flight to places where a BR card would get me into the Sky Club, and PP wouldn't. Still, life is full of trade-offs ...

seahawkflyer Apr 23, 2015 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll (Post 24711813)
Thanks for all the good info.
I just completed online app for Ameriprize Amex Plat card ( see Flyertalk forum under Amex rewards) The ability to get 2 cards with no fee for one year and PP for both my husband and myself was important. Even if we keep them next year, we get $400 airline credits each year( from this and other card) and this off sets total cost of card.

Received response that I would receive response in 10-12days. Others on Flyertalk say they received welcome email within much shorter time frame. (FICO is 810) Hoping to expedite card for travel next month.
Will update .

I got the same message today. I called the status line, they verified some information and I was approved.

pcoll Apr 24, 2015 11:50 am

Followed Seahawkflyer advice.
Called and was asked to verify some info. (Was never asked financial relationship question)
Was put on hold several times and agent kept apologizing for long holds.
Came back on line and verified Account approval and terms of account. No fee for first year , 25,000 bonus with $3,000 spend , $200 airline credit. Another apology then offered expedited mailing of new cards. I accepted. Fed Ex with 72 hours. Excellent!!
Thanks again for everyone's help,and advise.;)

Seat 2A Apr 26, 2015 3:26 pm

As a 75K I log a lot of miles on Alaska each year. I have been a Boardroom member since back in the 90s and have no intention of discontinuing my membership. I don't care one way or the other about not being able to use the BR when I'm not flying and I rarely need to invite guests into the Delta clubs. If we can't get into the Sky Club we just go to the airport bar, drink better booze (Without having to pay the inflated SC premium bar prices) and have just as good a time. So - it's all good with me.