So long and thanks for all the fish!

Old Jun 11, 14, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

This Friday is my last flight on Alaska Airlines after over 8-1/2 years of flying back and forth from SEA to ONT every other weekend and I'm soooo happy this is finally coming to an end.

My now wife and I have been doing an every-other-weekend long distance relationship between Seattle and SoCal. We recently married and she's finally got her daughter out of high school and both are moving to Seattle next week.

Although my wife and I have only managed to rack up about 250K miles each over the years, I honestly don't know how you business guys do this. The first year or so it was sort of romantic to be able to hop on a plane after work on a Friday and fly up/down the coast to go on what was only long enough to be considered a date, but after ever increasing hassles associated with travel and deteriorating benefits on AlaskaAir the bloom soon fell off the rose.

I have mostly just lurked here over the years but I wanted to pop in and say 'Thanks!' for all the tips that I've been able to pick up here in this forum that has made traveling on AS not only tolerable, but also more affordable. It's a valuable resource that I would never hesitate to recommend.

Safe travels, Flyertalkers.

Cheers,
Don
Old Jun 11, 14, 4:57 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well when its for work at least you get paid

Frequent traveling is great gig for a single person and its tons of fun. Once you are married and have a few kids its no longer as fun flying every other week. For me though at least I dont do a LOT of travel to get my annual miles, I just do a few trips and they are usually longer flights of the AS system. Hawaii, PHL. ORD. I did the long distance relationship thing for about a year while lady was going to school in MKE. Didnt travel every week though but pretty much every month except November when she came for a Thanksgiving. Sometimes I was only on the ground in MKE for about 36 hours. And I always had to either take a Friday or Monday off. Id take the ORD-ANC 1130pm flight on say a Thursday night. Arrive at MKE about 1pm Friday. And usually depart MKE-ORD on an AA connection flight early Sunday morning around 7 or 6. Get back to ANC late Sunday afternoon

Last edited by ANC; Jun 11, 14 at 5:05 pm
Old Jun 11, 14, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Good luck.
Been traveling weekly for a modest 14 years and hope it comes to an end soon.
I know some claim you will be jonesing for a trip but don't think that will be the case for me.

Last edited by apodo77; Jun 11, 14 at 9:54 pm
Old Jun 11, 14, 5:22 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Good luck.
Been traveling weekly for a modest 14 years and hope it comes to an end soon.
I know some claim you will be jonesing for a trip but don't think that will be the case.
sure was glad to see my ANC/FAI 35 or 40 trips a year gig go away. Even though they were just day trips. Id be awake at 430am out the door by 530 and get home between 7 and 9pm or even later a few times with some delays. There were many times I did that routine 3 days in a row. It used to be cheaper to fly every day there rather than fly, pay for a room, pay for meals and other incurred expenses. With the fares what they are now, that would no logner be the case. I always had the option to stay up there a few days and did a few times, but it saved the company a few bucks plus I wouldve rather slept in my bed anyhow
Old Jun 11, 14, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

Commuted between JNU and SEA the last three years with FAA. More difficult than either wife or I anticipated. Glad it's done and hats off to you for making it thru.
Old Jun 11, 14, 9:03 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've been commuting between Arizona and Portland twice a month since 2008 with frequent trips elsewhere in the country. It's a grind but the views from the air and not routinely stuck working in an office make it all worthwhile.

Good luck DPC1024! Congrats on making it through.

Originally Posted by ANC View Post
Frequent traveling is great gig for a single person and its tons of fun. Once you are married and have a few kids its no longer as fun flying every other week.
My coworker (three kids, three grandkids) LOVES his frequent travel. His wife is a vegetarian and since he's forbidden from eating meat at home, his trips usually include some sort of meat, beer and lots of "quiet sleep time in hotels."
Old Jun 11, 14, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
from June 2012-June 2013, Mrs PV_ lived an hour north of HPN and I was here between SMF and RNO.

during that time we flew a combined 26 transcons to be able to see one another (20 for me, 6 for her -- my job is more flexible). the worst part was the 1+ hour drive on each end, or longer if we flew EWR or BDL instead of HPN.

amazingly, the most we paid for a round trip throughout that year was $370 (only once -- Thanksgiving) -- everything else was under $300 r/t.

i don't miss it a bit and you won't either. congrats on putting the wraps on your long distance relationship, hopefully for good!
Old Jun 11, 14, 10:53 pm

What a nice post. Good luck to you. Stop by the Board Room for some soup or cheese sometime - sorrry - they are never served together.
Old Jun 13, 14, 12:07 am
ANC

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
from June 2012-June 2013, Mrs PV_ lived an hour north of HPN and I was here between SMF and RNO.

during that time we flew a combined 26 transcons to be able to see one another (20 for me, 6 for her -- my job is more flexible). the worst part was the 1+ hour drive on each end, or longer if we flew EWR or BDL instead of HPN.

amazingly, the most we paid for a round trip throughout that year was $370 (only once -- Thanksgiving) -- everything else was under $300 r/t.

i don't miss it a bit and you won't either. congrats on putting the wraps on your long distance relationship, hopefully for good!
well for me what was nuts was that if I flew ANC-ORD and then drove to MKE I didnt save any money at all. That round trip is around $600 to $800 for the AS nonstop. When I added an AA ORD/MKE segment both ways, the RT costs went to $400 to $500. It stoll can be like that, hit or miss
Old Jun 13, 14, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post

I made the frequent PDX-DFW or ACT runs while dating my future wife and really enjoyed the whole travel experience (even with all the corresponding "hassles")...after she moved to Oregon and we got married, did we shut down the travel machine? Absolutely NOT! We both enjoy traveling so we did mileage runs together...actually went on a PDX-SFO-SBA-DEN (overnight)-LAS-PSP-LAX-SFO-PDX for our wedding anniversary one year Oh, and I almost forgot our weekend "date" in Lima, Peru where we walked around the airport terminal for a few hours before flying back to PDX
Old Jun 14, 14, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I made the frequent PDX-DFW or ACT runs while dating my future wife and really enjoyed the whole travel experience (even with all the corresponding "hassles")...after she moved to Oregon and we got married, did we shut down the travel machine? Absolutely NOT! We both enjoy traveling so we did mileage runs together...actually went on a PDX-SFO-SBA-DEN (overnight)-LAS-PSP-LAX-SFO-PDX for our wedding anniversary one year Oh, and I almost forgot our weekend "date" in Lima, Peru where we walked around the airport terminal for a few hours before flying back to PDX
Inca Cola what an interesting beverage
Old Jun 19, 14, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Best of luck. Will miss seeing you.

A few folks have dropped off the SEA-ONT route in the last few weeks.

Seeing the same folks every week has been one of the unexpected benefits of travel.

I'm on month 2 of a 3 year project which will take me down every week and happy to get MVP status last week, so I can pick a good seat now. Lol.

John
Old Jun 19, 14, 9:02 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by seekinghelp View Post

Seeing the same folks every week has been one of the unexpected benefits of travel.
When I went to FAI a lot there were about 6 or 8 of us that flew the route very frequently. Most of the time at least 4 of us were on the flights particularly Monday late afternoon. In any case most of the tiime everybody was upgraded but on certain occassions one of us "regulars" got stuck in the back of the bus. Lets just say we had fun with it and whoever made the walk of shame to Y got razzed at and it was all in good fun . Being stuck in Y only really meant a smaller seat on a 31 minute to 60 minute flight depending on winds and you still got the first 1 on us which is about all you can drink on that short of a flight, although sometiems you could get a 2nd one in .
Old Jun 19, 14, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards

A few folks have dropped off the SEA-ONT route in the last few weeks.

I'm on month 2 of a 3 year project which will take me down every week and happy to get MVP status last week, so I can pick a good seat now. Lol.

John
Wait until you hit MVPG, that's when the fun really starts.

MVPG75K is a whole different animal.

I understand AA Executive Platinum is the best there is bar none. Since I fly to DFW every week, I wonder if it's worth finding out.

Anyway, welcome to the exit row my friend. Soon you'll be sitting in 2A.
Old Jun 20, 14, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
i'm not sure I am going to be able to convince Mrs PV_ to mileage run, though maybe i can disguise my intentions with some fun "day trips" around the west coast when our combined account picture becomes a bit more clear later this year i think she's going to be a few thousand short of MVP requalification -- i already grabbed us some $98 round trips to PDX, hoping PSP goes on sale and we can make a run down there or take her to LAS, SAN, LAX for the day if need be...

our travel bug hasn't stopped either. since she moved out here, we've probably flown a total of 70-80K miles together with plans already made for the rest of this year for another ~30k.

i agree, this is an interesting phenomenon. when i was visiting Mrs PV_, i typically flew UA SMF-ORD-HPN on Friday mornings, or SMF-LAX-EWR on Thursday redeye. it always amazed me how the same people were on those flights week after week. in fact, for 4 consecutive trips SMF-ORD, of the 16 seats in F, ~8-10 seats were occupied by the same people (fortunately me being one of them most of the time). crazy.

Search this Thread