Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Much Time is needed connecting Internationally in Seattle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

YYJ →SEA → MCI

My Wife and I both have Global Entry if that Helps.

If we arrive at 8:39 can we make a 10:00AM fight? Trying to avoid having to take the 6:00am Flight from YYJ → SEA.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2014, 4:45 pm

Customs is not usually busy in the early morning. So, you should be able to make this connection. Keep in mind that if you have checked baggage you'll need to retrieve and recheck it. With checked baggage, it will be closer.

Will AS sell a 81 minute I->D connection in SEA on one ticket?
Old May 27, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Is there Preclearance in YYJ. A quick search seems to think there is, but I've never actually been there before.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:10 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by andymell
Customs is not usually busy in the early morning. So, you should be able to make this connection. Keep in mind that if you have checked baggage you'll need to retrieve and recheck it. With checked baggage, it will be closer.

Will AS sell a 81 minute I->D connection in SEA on one ticket?
I think its 90 but may depend who the other carrier is? If its AS I think its 70 minutes
Old May 27, 2014, 5:13 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Is there Preclearance in YYJ. A quick search seems to think there is, but I've never actually been there before.
Dont all AS Canada destinations have it?
Old May 27, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by ANC
Dont all AS Canada destinations have it?
IIRC, YYJ didn't used to have preclearance, but does now.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
IIRC, YYJ didn't used to have preclearance, but does now.
Really?! Hot dog!!

We are on that glorious 6am yyj-sea flight tomorrow so I'll check it out.

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure you can make the connection described in 81 minutes. Unless you get stuck behind several in-coming 747s the crowd on the yyj-sea flight usually clears customs pretty quick. We've certainly had inbound connections through SEA that were much less than 81 minutes to make the sea-yyj flight.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:15 pm

If there is preclearence in YYJ, then this is an easy connection. There wasn't the only time I flew out of there, but you could certainly imagine that changing. (There are already preclearence facilities in Victoria for the us-bound ferries, so they have the personnel up there for it.)
Old May 27, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
According to CBP, the only pre clearance in Victoria is somehow in Port Angeles. If there isn't one at the airport, keep in mind that during that time frame, DL from PVG and NRT arrive between 8:30-9 if they're not early. Both are A330's for right now with NRT being upgraded to a 777 for the summer.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:54 am

Nope, no preclearance at YYJ although the improved security means no more manual bag checks at the gate.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Alaska737890
According to CBP, the only pre clearance in Victoria is somehow in Port Angeles. If there isn't one at the airport, keep in mind that during that time frame, DL from PVG and NRT arrive between 8:30-9 if they're not early. Both are A330's for right now with NRT being upgraded to a 777 for the summer.
True - the Asia flights do pose a problem. But with GE, shouldn't be a problem. I've never had to wait long for a station.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:05 am

Will AS sell you a ticket with the shorter connection? If not, you're at their mercy if you miss your connection and you'll likely have to cool your heels for 24 hours until the flight the next day - if there's room.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

No they wouldn't allow me to book it online. I was going to call and see what they were going to say and then possibly book two one ways myself since I have to re-checkin already.

I am thinking I might just book the Southwest to MCI that leaves at Noon to be safe. Price is same. Have to recheckin anyways. I don't like Southwest though.

I was told no precheckin in Victoria.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd take the 6 AM over connecting to WN myself.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Will AS sell you a ticket with the shorter connection? If not, you're at their mercy if you miss your connection and you'll likely have to cool your heels for 24 hours until the flight the next day - if there's room.
AS rejigged a lot of the flight schedules out of YEG, YYC and other Canadian cities and this has caused big problems with some of the connecting banks.

Pre-clearance (YVR, YYC) are 60 minutes FROM Canada TO Domestic. Apparently, in the last week, YEG just got changed to 40 minutes. Why YEG is ok for 40 minutes and YVR and YYC aren't are beyond me - it makes no sense. No, AS won't sell you the short connection even if it's off by just 3 or 4 minutes (trust me, I have tried exhaustively!).

YYJ seems to show as 1hr20 minutes connect time if AS-AS. This would indicate your 08:39 to 10:00 would be fine.

AS-AS I-D .40 YEG - ALL
AS-AS I-D 1.20 YLW - ALL
AS-AS I-D 1.00 YVR - ALL
AS-AS I-D 1.00 YYC - ALL
AS-AS I-D 1.20 YYJ - ALL

The other direction going TO Canada it's usually 40 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.