connecting at ANC

Old May 13, 14, 6:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LAX / SNA
Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Posts: 156
connecting at ANC

I am arriving from Nome on 9/1/14 on Alaska and connecting to Air Canada.
Alaska just changed my flight and the connection is tight. Arrive ANC at 2:08pm and connect with Air Canada 537 at 2:55. Questions. Will Alaska check my bag through. As I am overnighting in YVR if bag did not make until next day would be ok. Seems as thou both use South terminal but different concourses. Is there a remote possibility of making the connection. There is only one flight from Nome and one flight to YVR so changing flights not a viable option.

Would appreciate any thoughts from those of you who transit and or use ANC as this is my first time using ANC.
bnw2005 is offline  
Old May 13, 14, 6:31 pm
  #2  
formerly ASTechGuy
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milton, WA USA
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by bnw2005 View Post
I am arriving from Nome on 9/1/14 on Alaska and connecting to Air Canada.
Alaska just changed my flight and the connection is tight. Arrive ANC at 2:08pm and connect with Air Canada 537 at 2:55. Questions. Will Alaska check my bag through. As I am overnighting in YVR if bag did not make until next day would be ok. Seems as thou both use South terminal but different concourses. Is there a remote possibility of making the connection. There is only one flight from Nome and one flight to YVR so changing flights not a viable option.

Would appreciate any thoughts from those of you who transit and or use ANC as this is my first time using ANC.
The minimum connect time for AS-AC in Anchorage is 1 hour. Unfortunately, that means that the agent won't be able to check your bag all the way through.

Are both legs of your trip in the same reservation/ticket? If so, the agent or website should have noticed the problem when confirming your schedule change...
PacNWFlyer is offline  
Old May 13, 14, 7:14 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LAX / SNA
Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Posts: 156
Huge thanks for the quick reply.

Understand now about the connect time. Will try to carry on a bit more so will have something to wear in Canada. As this complication arose due to Alaska any chance I can talk the people into checking the bag through even tho it is 47 min not 60. I almost have to give that a try.

For a number of reasons the flights are on separate PNR s. Do not think there are any other flight possibilities as there is only one non stop from Nome and one flight that makes any sense to YVR. The alternate is an overnight in ANC which is something I need to think about and then see if I can get AC to change flight without a huge cost.

Your comment about the connect time is interesting. I deduct from that that Alaska will interline the bag to Air Canada when the connect time is 60 + min.
bnw2005 is offline  
Old May 13, 14, 9:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,627
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Isn't there a morning OME-ANC flight? If do, AS will change you to that with no charge. It may have an enroute stop at OTZ but that's no big deal.

Connecting from C (AS) to B (AC) at ANC is all of about a two minute walk, if that.
Chugach is online now  
Old May 13, 14, 10:00 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,268
Originally Posted by bnw2005 View Post
Huge thanks for the quick reply.

Understand now about the connect time. Will try to carry on a bit more so will have something to wear in Canada. As this complication arose due to Alaska any chance I can talk the people into checking the bag through even tho it is 47 min not 60. I almost have to give that a try.

For a number of reasons the flights are on separate PNR s. Do not think there are any other flight possibilities as there is only one non stop from Nome and one flight that makes any sense to YVR. The alternate is an overnight in ANC which is something I need to think about and then see if I can get AC to change flight without a huge cost.

Your comment about the connect time is interesting. I deduct from that that Alaska will interline the bag to Air Canada when the connect time is 60 + min.
I don't think they will make an exception to check your bag without the minimum 60 minute connect time. I know it's not as convenient, but it seems like it might have been easier to fly Alaska OME-ANC-SEA-YVR just to avoid such a scenario. None the less, since the tickets are not on one reservation it's not likely Alaska will do anything other than possibly rebook you on the morning flight OME-ANC (with possible stop in OTZ).
AS Flyer is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 12:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ANC/SAN
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
I know it's not as convenient, but it seems like it might have been easier to fly Alaska OME-ANC-SEA-YVR just to avoid such a scenario.
No offense, but I kind of reject this. The op is saying they had sufficient time for the connection at the time of booking and as such, took advantage of what was probably a really efficient schedule. I value my time enough to take that itinerary over the one suggested above all day long. 47 minutes is plenty enough time for the connection in ANC. Whether the Nome flight is on time...that's another thing.
LuckyDenver is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 12:36 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Let's not ignore the fact OP might miss the YVR flight if the OME flight is late, and thus be SOL since not on the same PNR.

Need to get on the earlier flight ASAP if at all possible.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 2:36 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,303
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Let's not ignore the fact OP might miss the YVR flight if the OME flight is late, and thus be SOL since not on the same PNR.

Need to get on the earlier flight ASAP if at all possible.
Agree 47 mins work if ontime...but if not AS won't get the OP to YVR as its a different PNR. Since AS changed the flight, call them up and see about the earlier OME flight.
beckoa is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 2:53 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LAX / SNA
Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Posts: 156
Appreciate the comments and suggestions. My expert flyer search does not show and flight that departs in AM from Nome that would get me to ANC earlier than the non stop that departs at 12;45 and arrives at 2:08.
My current thinking is to send a bag home with my grandson who is traveling with me and goes to CA from ANC on a flight much later in afternoon and pack a carryon that will do me ok in Vancouver. Not the ideal approach but think it is doable. That plus a small back pack for computer and camera should work.
It helps to know the distance and time to go from Alaska gate to the Air Canada gate should be close and quick. Understand that if flight from Nome is delayed by much I am in a world of hurt.
bnw2005 is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 3:05 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,303
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bnw2005
Appreciate the comments and suggestions. My expert flyer search does not show and flight that departs in AM from Nome that would get me to ANC earlier than the non stop that departs at 12;45 and arrives at 2:08.
My current thinking is to send a bag home with my grandson who is traveling with me and goes to CA from ANC on a flight much later in afternoon and pack a carryon that will do me ok in Vancouver. Not the ideal approach but think it is doable. That plus a small back pack for computer and camera should work.
It helps to know the distance and time to go from Alaska gate to the Air Canada gate should be close and quick. Understand that if flight from Nome is delayed by much I am in a world of hurt.
Ah it used to be AS ran a triangle flight in the early morning ANC-OTZ-OME-ANC. It seems that OME was dropped as there is an earlier flight to ANC ex-OTZ.
beckoa is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 9:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,268
Originally Posted by LuckyDenver View Post
No offense, but I kind of reject this. The op is saying they had sufficient time for the connection at the time of booking and as such, took advantage of what was probably a really efficient schedule. I value my time enough to take that itinerary over the one suggested above all day long. 47 minutes is plenty enough time for the connection in ANC. Whether the Nome flight is on time...that's another thing.
No offense taken. Maybe I should have been more clear. If the OP had taken the AS itinerary then AS would have been responsible for any misconnect. I'm not saying that it wasn't necessarily the better option and you're right, 47 minutes is plenty of time to make the AC flight if all is on time.
AS Flyer is offline  
Old May 14, 14, 4:08 pm
  #12  
ANC
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Posts: 6,544
Originally Posted by LuckyDenver View Post
No offense, but I kind of reject this. The op is saying they had sufficient time for the connection at the time of booking and as such, took advantage of what was probably a really efficient schedule. I value my time enough to take that itinerary over the one suggested above all day long. 47 minutes is plenty enough time for the connection in ANC. Whether the Nome flight is on time...that's another thing.
When you book 2 different PNRs especially on different airlines its a real dice roll and one should be prepared for the bad side of it. The further ahead you book the more likely you are to have conflicting schedule changes and there is still always the day of flight delays and cancelations. I avoid it when possible and dont do it a lot but if I do I leave at least a 4 hour window and only do it when its weeks before departure and I do NOT check a bag. Its never bitten me before but I did make an AE flight at ORD once with about 2 minutes to spare....the door slammed shut behind me as I walked down the jetway. Had I not made that flight Im sure AA wouldve rebooked me on the next flight to MKE....... for full fare Y for about $700 to fly 7 minutes. As for the OP 9/1 is quite a ways off and AS will probably change it again in the meantime pehaps back in the OPs favor or not. Seems like AS changes schedules every quarter so things will probably shift around again in June. Other than that the OP may want to consider leaving OME a day early and spend a night in ANC. You can change for free up until 60 days before flight with AS. its even possible that the air canada flight will change also although I find international flights to be more stable on times than domestic routes

Last edited by ANC; May 14, 14 at 4:22 pm
ANC is offline  
Old May 15, 14, 8:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SEA, BHM
Programs: AS MVP, DL Kryptonium Medallion, UA, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by bnw2005 View Post
For a number of reasons the flights are on separate PNR s. Do not think there are any other flight possibilities as there is only one non stop from Nome and one flight that makes any sense to YVR. The alternate is an overnight in ANC which is something I need to think about and then see if I can get AC to change flight without a huge cost.
For future reference, it's possible to book AS and AC on the same ticket using an online travel agent or calling AS. AS would waive the phone booking fee if you booked the OME-ANC segment online first and called within 24 hours to add the AC flight. You'd also be subject to AS's change policies if the ticket was issued on AS's ticket stock (the ticket number would start with 027).
Tide_from_PAE is offline  
Old May 15, 14, 9:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,627
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Originally Posted by bnw2005 View Post
For a number of reasons the flights are on separate PNR s. Do not think there are any other flight possibilities as there is only one non stop from Nome and one flight that makes any sense to YVR. The alternate is an overnight in ANC which is something I need to think about and then see if I can get AC to change flight without a huge cost.
For future reference, it's possible to book AS and AC on the same ticket using an online travel agent or calling AS. AS would waive the phone booking fee if you booked the OME-ANC segment online first and called within 24 hours to add the AC flight. You'd also be subject to AS's change policies if the ticket was issued on AS's ticket stock (the ticket number would start with 027).
You can do that?
Chugach is online now  
Old May 15, 14, 11:19 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,988
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)



You can do that?
AS can sell you any carrier as long as they have an interline ticketing agreement with all the carriers involved. I don't even think you need an AS segment either (although reservations person may think you are crazy). I've flown UA only tickets plated by Wideroe airlines out of Norway

Here is an example from over on American. Person used AA website to book combo AA/DL flight

Or just go to orbitz and there are numerous multi carrier tickets. Heres another one
CDKing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread