Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Schedule Change Affects Award Flight (Seeking Advice)

Old Apr 27, 14, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

Just found out today that Alaska changed my business class award flight for my honeymoon on Sept 29th from SEA - CDG via ATL. I was scheduled to fly Alaska to Atlanta then Air France to Paris. Alaska bumped the flight to Atlanta back by an hour not allowing me to make the Paris flight.

After calling Alaska they offered me to fly coach the day before and not pay for the hotel (which is impossible since I have my wedding in Chelan WA the night before that flight), Or take a 3 hr later Air France flight that will cause us to miss a flight leaving Paris for Dubrovnik. Originally we had a nice 3 hr connection time for this flight. That is the only direct flight to Dubrovnik all day.

I realize that since the flight to Dubrovnik is on a different ticket Alaska has every right to say the later AF flight is an acceptable option and leave me to deal with it. However as an MVP gold i find it hard to believe that they couldn't just suck it up and put me on a non-stop delta flight that leaves about the time the original Alaska flight leaves.

So should I hold out on changing the flight and see if other acceptable options open? take the later flight and find another way to Dubrovnik? Pay for the delta flight out of pocket? Any suggestions? Kinda frustrated with Alaska's lack of helpfulness.
Old Apr 27, 14, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your plan for DL via ATL demands two things:

1. Open Saver award inventory on DL (good luck).

2. AS to violate its own '1 partner + Alaska' rule for awards.

Alternately, you could ask AS to check every AF North American gateway to CDG that also has AS service (knowing AS can create its own award inventory it if finds the AF available):

SFO, LAX, IAH, MEX, BOS, and ORD

Clearly some are more direct than others between SEA and CDG.

I think I have omitted the several airports where AF is just a DL-codeshare.
Old Apr 27, 14, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Any other AF flights that could get you there on time? Such as out of LAX?
Old Apr 27, 14, 4:23 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I could just now start my own thread. "AA schedule change, albeit it a small change, causes huge assed ordeal" Currently waiting for AS to call me back with the bad news, Ive already done my homework today theres no F award space on the 17th or 18th or even Y space for that matter, its just a matter of if my award seats migrated to the 17th or the 18th. The change is a mere 2 hours and no big deal...or is it? Changed from 1055pm PHX-MIA to 1230am PHX-MIA. Note that it changes the day of departure and throws the whole trip into utter chaos especially when you are inbound to PHX from elsewhere. Now I arrive at PHX at around 7pm on OCt 17th but depart PHX at 1230am on the 17th. Even if they find Y space Im going to demand 10K miles credited to the account or refuse the whole entire award. WHats the point of an F award if only 3 out of 8 RT segments are in F. Its bad enough before this I was at 4
Old Apr 27, 14, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
I could just now start my own thread. "AA schedule change, albeit it a small change, causes huge assed ordeal" Currently waiting for AS to call me back with the bad news, Ive already done my homework today theres no F award space on the 17th or 18th or even Y space for that matter, its just a matter of if my award seats migrated to the 17th or the 18th. The change is a mere 2 hours and no big deal...or is it? Changed from 1055pm PHX-MIA to 1230am PHX-MIA. Note that it changes the day of departure and throws the whole trip into utter chaos especially when you are inbound to PHX from elsewhere. Now I arrive at PHX at around 7pm on OCt 17th but depart PHX at 1230am on the 17th. Even if they find Y space Im going to demand 10K miles credited to the account or refuse the whole entire award. WHats the point of an F award if only 3 out of 8 RT segments are in F. Its bad enough before this I was at 4
You absolutely have the option of cancelling for a full refund. Your choice.
Old Apr 27, 14, 5:21 pm
ANC

yeah Im still waiting for that call back. I think she is kind of afraid to call back with the news
Old Apr 28, 14, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by nrunning24 View Post
So should I hold out on changing the flight and see if other acceptable options open? take the later flight and find another way to Dubrovnik? Pay for the delta flight out of pocket? Any suggestions? Kinda frustrated with Alaska's lack of helpfulness.
Um, you sort of did this to yourself by putting CDG-DBV on a separate ticket (if it was all on the same ticket AS would be responsible for getting you to DBV). If there was a mechanical delay in SEA or ATL on your day of flight you'd have the same problem, no?

I'd take a stopover in Paris and change the CDG-DBV ticket to the next day, and eat the cost, and accept this as the price of a lesson that I should leave lots of time when there are separate tickets involved, half the world away. Not exactly the worst place in the world to spend a day of a honeymoon.
Old Apr 28, 14, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I'd take a stopover in Paris and change the CDG-DBV ticket to the next day...
The OP's CDG-DBV doesn't operate daily - nor does it on any carrier.

The OP's own construction - tight timing to a distant and infrequently served destination, evidently without travel insurance - leaves him quite hosed.

DBV is lovely in late summer and early fall, BTW.
Old Apr 28, 14, 6:09 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You absolutely have the option of cancelling for a full refund. Your choice.
I decided to wait until today to look into again. One thing thats nice about AA computer systems they tend to update problems and fix themselves if you wait a little bit. So overnight the AA system moved me appropriately to the 1230am redeye on Oct 18th from the Oct 17th flight Moved into Z as well without a problem. What is wrong now is that some of the other flight times dont match on alaskaair.com vs aa.com. AS still has me flying MIA-ANU at 11am. AA has the flight departing at 935am. There are a few return flights that are also off by 30 minutes to an hour also I did inquire about this with the AS partner desk today when I called but they werent seeing anything of the sort
Old Apr 29, 14, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The OP's CDG-DBV doesn't operate daily - nor does it on any carrier.

The OP's own construction - tight timing to a distant and infrequently served destination, evidently without travel insurance - leaves him quite hosed.

DBV is lovely in late summer and early fall, BTW.
I know OP thinks 3 hrs. is a lot of leeway but when your taking overseas you are correct that it's a tight schedule. When I use 2 different airlines overseas I plan a overnight in between. Live and learn the best is always to keep on 1 ticket.
Old Apr 29, 14, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Indeed.

I dunno... if the OP was either willing to change to BA (and do an LHR-LGW transfer) or spend some Avios on Reward Flight Saver to go ORY-LGW-DBV, they could fly BA...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 29, 14 at 11:37 pm

Search this Thread