Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plan Survey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
I was excited to get the survey today, then received this response as soon as I started it...

These are all the questions we have for you today. It appears that a sufficient number of respondents with a similar profile have already completed this study, or that your profile does not exactly match our needs for this study. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXchris
I was excited to get the survey today, then received this response as soon as I started it...
Ditto here...didn't even get to answer any qualifying questions. It kicked me out immediately.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Did the survey, and echo the comments of many above. Neither of the two proposed program evolutions excite me that much, in fact I'm feeling a ball of dread when I read through the proposed program changes... and I made specific notes with regard to:

• Offering "kettles" (no offence intended) the ability to buy Elite status for any flight, any time
  • Making Elite Status tied to your spend on ancilliaries and most imporantly, AS Visa Credit Card spend
  • Including spend on non-airline partners, online shopping etc. as a qualifier to Elite Status

I did state that if I could just buy Elite Status anytime I wanted it on a per flight basis on AS, that my incentive to stay loyal to AS would be significantly impacted. I really feel this dilutes the Elite program (anyone ever see the Come Fly With Me skit with the "Speedy Boarding" - a great benefit, until you find out that everyone on the plane also bought it).

I also would be less inclined to pay higher fares on AS than what might be available on other carriers, put up with less desirable connections, schedules etc. when I have no real incentive to do all this through the year to maintain Elite Status when it's on sale to anyone and everyone on a per flight basis.

I also was surprised that the MVPG benefit of change fee waiver wasn't an option for "important benefits" and made a comment that this is a major benefit of the AS Gold level tier.

Finally, the Canadian CC that AS offers is administered by MBNA whom are the absolute worst for customer service and whom have terrible interest rates and fee structures. I cancelled my Starwood MBNA card years ago after issue after issue with MBNA and would hate to have to go back to MBNA and use this card just to try and keep up with the Jones' for Elite Status. In fact, while I think doling out standard miles for CC spend is fine, I really don't care for Elite status to be based on CC spend and this is a slippery slope that will really tee off some of the corporate travellers at AS whom use company issued corporate cards (myself included).

There are some interesting concepts, the ability to use a "one time Elite Queue-Jump" to go to top of the upgrade list - not sure how I feel about that. The partner benefits, and special recognition are all solid components of a good FF program, but some things such as the suggestion of abolishing the program and offering a 10% discount instead - pft!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BearX220
AS has a potent point of differentation here that they would be foolish to squander.
Like many here, though, I suspect this is what's in the wind in the medium term -- the effective end of FF loyalty programs.
I also told them about differentiation in my survey response, and flat out said if they did either alternative to the status quo I'd be likely to dump all my frequent flyer programs and just buy on price each flight --- and that AS and QX typically weren't the lowest on price.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
When I hit "start survey," I got an error that said "Too many people have responded. Sorry for the inconvenience" and it kicked me out.

Guess AS doesn't want my input either.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
This thread really has some fascinating insights. I did not receive the survey and thus haven't really seen all parts of it. That said, given all that has transpired over the past couple of years starting with industry consolidation and the added pressures on smaller carriers like AS on so many different levels of the air travel experience, its clear change is necessary.

While it's very easy for all of us (myself included) to say to AS "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", we need to remember we're only seeing it from our side. If it's not working for AS long term, it's a model that ultimately in the end will die for us regardless because AS fails. Hopefully the program is mutually beneficial (financially to AS, experientially to FF's) - that's truly a successful program.

I don't pretend to know, but am at least (cautiously) optimistic that they are exploring what might be mutually beneficial assuming the program as we know it isn't sustainable. We have to keep in mind that they are asking for our opinions. Did DL do that? Did AA before they made changes without notice? No, but appears one poster received some kind of survey from AA.

One thing I have appreciated about AS is the different ways they connect with their customers. They're not perfect at it, but IMHO are leaps and bounds beyond other carriers. This survey demonstrates it. I can only further hope that somehow, they keep the dialogue going. Are their any FT'ers on the GAB? Ostensibly so offering the FF'ers viewpoint and perspective on ideas for changes.

As much as they are exploring what appears to be two different scenarios vastly different from the current MP, it doesn't mean they are absolutely going to do it. I, too, would be displeased, and since I didn't receive a survey, I'm sending a note to MP and Brad to constructively express my $0.02.

Finally, having spent several years in the market research field, I'm failing to understand IPSOS' message back to potential respondents that 'too many have responded'. What the?? Never have I seen that and it would be poor form to exclude a better sampling of responses. However, research firms can and have 'disqualified' respondents based on a certain level of experience to be able to provide knowledgeable responses on the given subject. Though I fail to see how MVPG's (the apparent target of this survey) would not qualify to provide such responses?

Anyway, my two cents.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
When I hit "start survey," I got an error that said "Too many people have responded. Sorry for the inconvenience" and it kicked me out.

Guess AS doesn't want my input either.
Same thing happened to me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:53 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Did the survey, and echo the comments of many above. Neither of the two proposed program evolutions excite me that much, in fact I'm feeling a ball of dread when I read through the proposed program changes... and I made specific notes with regard to:

pft!
what I found flawed in the survey, received mine today, is that it forced you to pick 1 of the 2 and didnt have a None/Neither option

Where it asked what 1 benefit change Id like to see, I wrote that MVP should get 2 guest companion upgrade certificates but unlike the gold guest upgrade certificates, the mvp ones could only be used when the MVP is flying with the non status person and you purchase the current MVP eligible fares of Y S M B. Basically the same as the current gold benefit of upgrading with a companion except limited to 2 and restricted to the current eligible fare classes when purchasing and U is available, not at the gate unless you are still on a YSMB fare etc

Im not sure how allowing people to become elites with everything from fares to credit card purchases to car rentals is going to help AS long term? Maybe cardholdership declined more than expected from the loss of the F companion fare so they have to drum up new stuff to get people to sign up for the card so AS can continue to get that 2 billion + dollar check from BofA every year? What I kind of been reading on the tea leaves is they want to up the qualification tiers probably to the standard 25K 50K 75K which is routine across most carriers now. To soften the blow they seem to be tinking around with other ideas to get status. Then after a year or 2 they will yank out that rug from under your feet and eventually go to spend based. What year was it when AS raised the elite requirements to their current 20K and 40K? Before that MVP was 15 and wasnt gold 35K? All the long hauls and the addition of 4 more this year makes it easier and easier to get AS metal status than when the farthest east they used to fly was what? Billings? And when a long AS flight was ANC/SEA

Last edited by ANC; Apr 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
I don't pretend to know, but am at least (cautiously) optimistic that they are exploring what might be mutually beneficial assuming the program as we know it isn't sustainable.
I wouldn't assume that at all -- I suspect the program as it is is perfectly sustainable, but someone on the inside thinks it can be "optimized" or it wouldn't hurt to "align with industry norms." The airline industry is famous for busting up a good and fair status quo situation in search of even more margin / profit / etc. for itself, and making things worse for everybody.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Since neither of the 2 new programs mentions earning, using, or BIS miles (it's as if the word "mile" has been purged from the AS dictionary) what are we striving for? Million Dollar status? And I wonder what goodies that will get us!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Since neither of the 2 new programs mentions earning, using, or BIS miles (it's as if the word "mile" has been purged from the AS dictionary) what are we striving for? Million Dollar status? And I wonder what goodies that will get us!
And I, as someone on the home stretch of the Million Miler March, wonder if this will do away with that status altogether before I get to the finish line.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:06 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
yeah I noticed everything referred to as "points" thats never been in the AS vocabulary before. With my travel mostly being midwest now a days the next ball is in their court. Depending on what they do or how they do it, will determine if I stick with AS or match up to UA
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 pm
ANC

I guess FT is erroring out when I speak bad of AS
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:12 pm
ANC

keep it up AS Ive been a loyal elite since 2005 but if you get stupid I wont hesitate to go elsewhere
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:16 pm
ANC

meant 1995

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.