FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Double miles through the end of 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1567712-double-miles-through-end-2014-a.html)

eponymous_coward Apr 9, 2014 7:49 am

Double miles through the end of 2014

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...1||&pid=AS1407

Anyone notice what's missing from that list of cities?

Oh yeah, DEQM is missing. (sigh)

LwoodY2K Apr 9, 2014 7:52 am

"Double Miles will not count towards Mileage Plan™ Elite Status."

So RDM only, unless you know something not printed there.

CDKing Apr 9, 2014 8:02 am

I know its only RDM and short route but i do have a SEA-ANC on AS Metal in June although its DL marketed but i can always hope it posts in error

Jeeves Apr 9, 2014 8:18 am

I was looking forward to flying into SNA instead of LAX after the current promo ends on May 31st. Now it looks like I will be tempted back to LAX.

MonThruThurs Apr 9, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K (Post 22675602)

WHOOOOO!

Some sense has finally prevailed in the Eskimo layer. The continuation of DEQM on some of these routes would have been a joke.

#SitYourButtInTheSeatToEarnStatus

dave1013 Apr 9, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs (Post 22675960)
WHOOOOO!

Some sense has finally prevailed in the Eskimo layer. The continuation of DEQM on some of these routes would have been a joke.

I note from my Club 49 email received this morning that JNU-SEA will earn double miles between June 1 and Sept. 1. No doubt this was spurred by the arrival of DL the end of May.

I'm puzzled by your hashtag closure, however. I'm playing the DEQM promotions big time this year and, in so doing, will get to the 75K level for the first time (if everything comes off as I have planned). To earn that status, I still have to sit my butt in the seat. I understand that you look upon DEQM promotions with disdain. Not everyone shares that perspective.

MonThruThurs Apr 9, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 22676069)
To earn that status, I still have to sit my butt in the seat. I understand that you look upon DEQM promotions with disdain. Not everyone shares that perspective.

Well, no you're not.

Technically, you're flying half as much.

While yes, you may earn 75K from this; someone who sits their butt in the seat for 75K miles, in my opinion deserves it over someone who earns it on a technicality.*

Like you said, very unpopular opinion, but that's just me.

* - yes, I know there are many technicalities (DEQM, status matches, status challenges, etc...)

PDXPremier Apr 9, 2014 9:29 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 22675579)

Hmmm...SEA-PDX maybe?

MonThruThurs Apr 9, 2014 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 22676187)
Hmmm...SEA-PDX maybe?

SLC and DTW?

dave1013 Apr 9, 2014 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs (Post 22676113)
Well, no you're not.

Technically, you're flying half as much.

While yes, you may earn 75K from this; someone who sits their butt in the seat for 75K miles, in my opinion deserves it over someone who earns it on a technicality.*

Like you said, very unpopular opinion, but that's just me.

* - yes, I know there are many technicalities (DEQM, status matches, status challenges, etc...)

Fair enough.

But take heart - I still have to sit my BIS without any wretched, undeserved, ill-gotten-gain "help" to get to a million miles. That'll be next year. :D

MonThruThurs Apr 9, 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 22676204)
Fair enough.

But take heart - I still have to sit my BIS without any wretched, undeserved, ill-gotten-gain "help" to get to a million miles. That'll be next year. :D

^

Finkface Apr 9, 2014 9:55 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 22675579)

Could we maybe change the title of this thread (or just add a Not! To the end)? I got all excited until I read it.

98103 Apr 9, 2014 9:58 am

Double miles are not as nice as double elite qualifying miles, but if it is that horrible, you may transfer the non-elite qualifying miles to my account.

Last time I checked they were just as redeemable as EQMs.

beckoa Apr 9, 2014 12:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K (Post 22675602)

WHOOOOO!

Agreed. Understand competition is a knocking away but it was getting ridiculous.

Unfort lots of my flights to the L48 are via PDX...oh well.

PDXPremier Apr 9, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 22677240)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agreed. Understand competition is a knocking away but it was getting ridiculous.

Unfort lots of my flights to the L48 are via PDX...oh well.

I semi-expected this although I am still surprised by...

1. The fact that is it double RDM instead of DEQM which would have matched DL.

2. The fact this does NOT apply to all SEA flights (especially those on which they compete directly with DL like SEA-ATL and soon-to-be SEA-PDX).