Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Best airline for MVP Gold European travel post Delta changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold

I fly to Europe every few months, mostly SEA to CPH.

I was using Delta and getting Alaska miles (I'm MVP Gold). The Delta Skypriority was the best benefit, and now it's gone, I think I'll look around for alternatives.

What are some other good options if I want to concentrate miles on Alaska? British Airways?

I'm guessing there are no options which give me the equivalent of Skypriority right?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
You don't say where you are....but KLM and AF are also good choices, IF you are near a gateway in the US they serve...provided you book in the right class of service. Otherwise, if it is SEA, BA is probably the best bet.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 98103
You don't say where you are....but KLM and AF are also good choices, IF you are near a gateway in the US they serve...provided you book in the right class of service. Otherwise, if it is SEA, BA is probably the best bet.
Sorry, yes I am in SEA.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Considering you get 100% EQM from DL and their new strong-hold (plethora of flights: LHR, CDG, AMS) in the PNW, I don't see a reason to jump.

Sky Priority is nice, but Zone 1 isn't terrible. Also, DL has one of the best Y products out there IMHO, and it's not like MVPG's were getting access to EC seats before... I think what you're going to get on BA, only other PNW partner to serve Europe, is going to pale in comparison to DL.

But again, this is my personal opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Seems like the OP might be thinking ahead to if or when DL is no longer a partner.

My wife hopped QX from SEA up to YVR to fly KL on YVR-AMS-KBP a couple years back - it adds a connection, but AMS is considered a better place to connect in Europe than LHR, and KL is reliable.

I'm doing my first wholly-within-T5 connection at LHR in a couple of months - curious to see if it's as slick as AMS. If so, BA may be a better option than it was before.

It's too bad that DL took SEA-CDG over from AF, now that the partnership is going south.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
Seems like the OP might be thinking ahead to if or when DL is no longer a partner.

My wife hopped QX from SEA up to YVR to fly KL on YVR-AMS-KBP a couple years back - it adds a connection, but AMS is considered a better place to connect in Europe than LHR, and KL is reliable.

I'm doing my first wholly-within-T5 connection at LHR in a couple of months - curious to see if it's as slick as AMS. If so, BA may be a better option than it was before.

It's too bad that DL took SEA-CDG over from AF, now that the partnership is going south.
I'm not a huge fan of the gate security at AMS, but it's everywhere in the EU/Asia. Also, if you get a gate at the end of D/E concourse, be prepared to walk a considerable distance.

BA's lounges in T5 are supposed to be fantastic, I haven't had to the chance to experience them yet, though. Otherwise, the KL lounge at AMS is really nice. Just make sure to get in and get your name on the shower list ASAP.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Personally very sad to see the 50% off EC on DL. That was a nice compromise between comfort and $$$.

I never have enough time to book a J or F award trip so I was considering booking BA instead of Delta for an upcoming (post May 1) SEA-LHR trip.

Is the general consensus that SEA-LHR in Y is still better on DL?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Personally very sad to see the 50% off EC on DL. That was a nice compromise between comfort and $$$.

I never have enough time to book a J or F award trip so I was considering booking BA instead of Delta for an upcoming (post May 1) SEA-LHR trip.

Is the general consensus that SEA-LHR in Y is still better on DL?
The several hundred dollar BA surcharge (for award tickets) is more than enough of a reason not to book BA.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
The several hundred dollar BA surcharge (for award tickets) is more than enough of a reason not to book BA.
That charge seems crazy high. This trip will be for business and the company is paying for coach. In the past I've just flown DL and paid for the EC upgrade out of pocket. That made the 50% off EC a value for me.

I guess I should call and see if the EC discount goes away on travel by May 1st or for booking by May 1st.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
That charge seems crazy high. This trip will be for business and the company is paying for coach. In the past I've just flown DL and paid for the EC upgrade out of pocket. That made the 50% off EC a value for me.

I guess I should call and see if the EC discount goes away on travel by May 1st or for booking by May 1st.
99% sure EC option goes away AFTER May, 1st, and that any purchase before is grandfathered in.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
So far I'm sticking with DL, but that's because I tend to fly in J so the SkyPriority thing doesn't matter anyway.

What matters most for me is EQMs and how many we'll get in the new Delta points world (assuming the partnership holds). I make MVPG every year because of the DL flights to Europe.

Neil
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try DL next month and keep my options open.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 98103
...KLM and AF are also good choices...
Originally Posted by missamo80
What matters most for me is EQMs...
KLM and AF are challenging when you're out to earn AS EQM, because the MP terms say eligible flights have to be "marketed" and "operated" by KL or AF, which means they can deny credit for codeshares -- and most two-segment connections beyond AMS or CDG include at least one codeshare, whether you buy through DL or KL/AF.

This was a lot easier when AF metal used to come to SEA. It's damn hard now IME to find connections ex-SEA through AMS/CDG where the first flight is sold with its DL number AND the second flight is sold with its KL or AF number.

In the near term, if you are flying beyond LHR/AMS/CDG, surest bet for EQM credit is to book BA... or head up to YVR for KLM.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Does anyone know with the new AS/DL board room changes if AS board room members can get into the KL board room at AMS?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Does anyone know with the new AS/DL board room changes if AS board room members can get into the KL board room at AMS?
KLM lounges are called Crown Lounges. Not quite sure why you think one would get access now with the DL changes. AS Board Room membership does not grant Crown Lounge access and never has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.