Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to DL: We can play your game too...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Looks like AA has added their code to a handful of ASflights - they used to have their code on just 2 JNU/SEA flights, now it appears to be on all of the nonstops.

Its VERY safe to say that American is now stepping up to take over as much of the AS/DL connecting business as they can.
I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the biggest leaps of logic I've seen on FT.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It would seem AA is indeed cozying up to AS...

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Its VERY safe to say that American is now stepping up to take over as much of the AS/DL connecting business as they can.
They can't take over very much. DL had a significant longhaul presence in SEA and PDX before the recent unpleasantness started. AA is pathetic in SEA and PDX (behind even UA- *A has lots of traffic in SEA, OW has BA, no CX, no QF, no AA longhaul, no JL), and the one place where they could route into AS's network is someplace AS has de-emphasized over the years, LAX. US gives them nothing for that- if anything, there's an argument to be made that instead of codesharing on AS's Mexico flights AA should instead be flowing Mexico-bound connecting traffic to PHX instead of LAX.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It would seem AA is indeed cozying up to AS...

They can't take over very much. DL had a significant longhaul presence in SEA and PDX before the recent unpleasantness started. AA is pathetic in SEA and PDX (behind even UA- *A has lots of traffic in SEA, OW has BA, no CX, no QF, no AA longhaul, no JL), and the one place where they could route into AS's network is someplace AS has de-emphasized over the years, LAX. US gives them nothing for that- if anything, there's an argument to be made that instead of codesharing on AS's Mexico flights AA should instead be flowing Mexico-bound connecting traffic to PHX instead of LAX.
That being said, this is an interesting comment in Cranky's piece:

We don’t have that in oneworld. Any airline in oneworld can partner with any other airline. We have the flexibility to pursue other opportunities, but Star and SkyTeam have much stricter limits on the level of cooperation that can occur with carriers outside of the alliance. We think that’s one of the benefits of oneworld. We think it’s important that carriers have flexibility to partner with carriers that are important to their network, to generate the economics required to make the airline work and give customers what they want.
I wonder- would AS join oneworld if they could keep EK and some other airlines?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I ran into a Delta round trip (turnaround) with the same number in both directions, which confused the hell outta me.
Add SN to that list too.
(BRUNBO, though in its defence it includes a stop at BJM on the outbound.)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
That being said, this is an interesting comment in Cranky's piece:

I wonder- would AS join oneworld if they could keep EK and some other airlines?
Is AS big enough to be courted by an alliance?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Is AS big enough to be courted by an alliance?
AS has almost twice as many boardings as AM, and nearly as many as AC had in the late 2000's. AC and AM are in alliances...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
AS has almost twice as many boardings as AM, and nearly as many as AC had in the late 2000's. AC and AM are in alliances...
I wish they had more service on the east coast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.